• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rose water/ orange blossom water

debler

Any one have any good idea's or recipes for savory uses?

The only one 's I can think of would be an almond soup drizled with rose water as a garnish or with lamb/fish some how?

anyone else? :blink:

You could use either water in a very light vinaigrette or mayonnaise sauce to serve over chilled poached fish on a bed of wild greens (maybe include rose petals and other edible flowers with the greens), blanched, chilled green beans or in a cold chicken and pistachio salad.

I second the idea of using it with rice. Make a pot of basmati rice with cardamom, black pepper, saffron etc, when rice is done mist the top of the rice with rose water, cover, remove from heat and let sit for about five minutes before serving.

Shelley: Would you like some pie?

Gordon: MASSIVE, MASSIVE QUANTITIES AND A GLASS OF WATER, SWEETHEART. MY SOCKS ARE ON FIRE.

Twin Peaks

I have a Moroccan recipe for a grated carrot salad dressed with orange and lemon juice, sugar, ground cumin, and orange flower water.

Ooooh! Suzy, would you be so kind as to post that recipe please?

Sure thing!

I've had this recipe for a looong time and don't remember where it came from originally; I may have tweaked the seasonings more to my taste.

Moroccan Grated Carrots with Orange Juice

Serves 6-8

juice of 6 oranges

juice of 1 lemon

1 to 2 tablespoons sugar (depending on sweetness of carrots)

1 tablespoon orange flower water

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon ground cumin

1-1/2 pounds carrots, grated

Combine juices, sugar, orange flower water, salt, and cumin, stirring to dissolve sugar. Mix with carrots. Let stand 1 hour or longer to blend flavors. Serve in small bowls, with juice poured over.

SuzySushi

"She sells shiso by the seashore."

My eGullet Foodblog: A Tropical Christmas in the Suburbs

Well, on my first attempt, I made a carrot soup, cooked with whole star anise, and served it with a couple of small drops of orangeblossom water as a garnish.

The votes were split. Some just arn't used to the flowery sents and taste, others loved the change.

Next try,an almond soup drizzled with a rose syrup.

:shock:

You mean rose water or rose syrup?

Rose water (unless it's overused) can add nice, subtle rose flavors and aromas to whatever you add it to. But in my experience, rose syrup is a thick, red, overly sweet and flowery liquid that my relatives used to mix with water to drink. It tasted just like eating a bar of rose-scented soap. :blink: Which are you planning to use?

:shock:

You mean rose water or rose syrup?

Rose water (unless it's overused) can add nice, subtle rose flavors and aromas to whatever you add it to. But in my experience, rose syrup is a thick, red, overly sweet and flowery liquid that my relatives used to mix with water to drink. It tasted just like eating a bar of rose-scented soap. :blink: Which are you planning to use?

Well, I have both at my disposal, and was thinking , because of the vibrant color, I would use just 2 drops of th syrup? :huh:

But from hearing you cringe at the other end, I think I should use a couple of drops of the water and add some red coloring?! :unsure:

Both a pretty commonly used in some styles of Moroccan tagines. I think that there is even a regional preference for one over the other. Earlier Arabic recipes often used these in meat dishes, so I imagine that the modern recipes reflect this history.

Paula has at least one lamb tagine recipes using orange flower water, maybe she could expand on this practice further.

*raises hand*

Can I ask how one makes rose water?

Deadheads are kinda like people who like licorice. Not everybody likes licorice, but people who like licorice, *really* like licorice!

-Jerry Garcia

Rose water is mostly a by-product of distillation for the production of rose oil. A large amount of roses (mostly Rosa damascena I think) are put in a still, when the oil is seperated from the aqueous distillate, you get rose water which still contins soluble oils and volatiles. There are most likely more cottage type ways of producing the product as well.

I think rosewater and orange flower water work better in marqas that have elements of fruit, nuts or honey and sweeter spices such as cinnamon or nutmeg, ginger is nice too.

Especially with rose water I think fruit such as dried apricots offset what can be a heavy floral note.

I have a few recipes if anyone is interested.

I can be reached via email chefzadi AT gmail DOT com

Dean of Culinary Arts

Ecole de Cuisine: Culinary School Los Angeles

http://ecolecuisine.com

• 10 months later...

In my family (Israeli) we make Moroccan mint tea using fresh spearmint, black tea, sugar and a few drops of orange blossom water per glass - although it's even better to use actual citrus blossoms (any citrus is fine, they all smell the same - ie WONDERFUL). You just add 1-2 blossoms per glass.

And... not savory, but I always add a few drops of orange blossom water to rice pudding. And to haroset (a traditional apple-date-wine mixture) for passover.

Ayana

Edited by ayana (log)

Try a Bangla recipe: chicken rezala.

Recipe at:

http://www.bangalinet.com/chicken_mutton.htm

look about halfway down the page.

If you google you'll get more links.

The recipe calls for "keora water".

Keora is not the same as rose, Keora

is defined here:

http://www.uni-graz.at/~katzer/engl/Pand_odo.html

But the description halfway down *that* page

says that "Kewra flowers have a sweet, perfumed odour with a pleasant quality similar to rose flowers, but kewra is more fruity. The aqueous distillate (kewra water, pandanus flower water) is quite diluted; it can be used by the teaspoon, often even by the tablespoon. "

So, in the rezala recipe, where it calls for keora water, use

rose water instead, and experiment with the quantity....

Milagai

I serve oysters with rose water mignonette, simply make a normal mignonette and add a splash to scent it with rose water to perfume it.

Meyer lemon, champagne and orange blossom sorbet as an intermezzo

Carrot cardamom and orange blossom water sauce.

My favorite use is to splash a few drops of orange blossom water in my lemonade

I love the stuff. :biggrin:

Not savory, but I add a teaspoon of orange blossom water to margaritas. (And, of course, to Turkish coffee.)

Try it sometime, it's amazing.

Who cares how time advances? I am drinking ale today. -- Edgar Allan Poe