• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Looking for midwest-based wine stores that ship

abadoozy

The title pretty much says it all. I live in a teeny tiny town in the northern midwest, and although there's a couple OK wine stores in town, the selection is small. For example, Mr. Abadoozy recently had a hankering to try some Burgundy, and there flat out isn't anything in town beyond a $15 bottle of Jadot. I'm not saying there was nothing in our price range, or in the specific type we wanted - there was NO Burgundy. I went everywhere in town. We compensated by drinking a few bottles of New Zealand and American Pinots, but it just ain't the same.

I've been supplementing what we can find by buying cases when we're out of town, and, on occasion, ordering from places like Hi-Times (www.hitimewine.net) out of California. Of course, I pay a heck of a lot of shipping charges, shipping cases of wine & champagne from California.

I've done some Web searches trying to find a place a little closer to home, but I haven't found anything. Ideally, it would be out of Chicago or Minneapois (or anywhere in between), have a Web site that lists their inventory, and would be willing to ship. Anyone know of anyplace?

So does Binny's. Their policy quoted from the site:

It is Binny's policy not to ship alcohol to certain states where direct shipment is prohibited and therefore, our website will not let you place an order for shipment to Michigan, Florida, Georgia, Indiana, Kentucky, Maryland, North Carolina, Tennessee, Massachusetts and other states.

Please contact your local alcoholic beverage control agency for further information.

In Minneapolis, Surdyk's ships and has one of the better Burgundy selection. Haskell's is another large retailer. Large selection of Burgundy, but over half of it is Faiveley, and that doesn't do much for me. Surdyk's turns over their inventory more frequently, so storage is less of an issue with them.

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero