• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Shrimp Arnaud

My book group is discussing Saul Bellow's Herzog tonight - the hero's lady friend cooks him Shrimp Arnaud - it would be nice if I could serve this.

Does anyone have a good recipe, or can give me broad instructions please? A quick web search reveals some rather odd-sounding recipes involving the use of Creole mustard. As I'm in London [England ] I'd need to use a substitute - would Dijon mustard do?

I assume you're talking about Shrimp Arnaud from Arnaud's Restaurant in New Orleans, Louisiana. I sent an email to the chef to see if he'd be willing to share the recipe. And you can email him yourself by using the form at the restaurant's website.

As far as Creole mustard, you can substitute Dijon mustard, but just use the country-style whole-grain type Dijon.

Good luck!

Rhonda

I am pretty sure Zatarain's Creole Mustard is available throughout the United States. It's a fine mustard for lots of applications, and not expensive, so pick up a bottle and be true to the recipe. :biggrin:

Don Moore

Nashville, TN

Peace on Earth

I found a recipe here at the Dallas News (registration required). Here is a rewrite of the recipe:

1 lb : peeled/deveined shrimp

6 tbsp : evoo

2 tbsp : vinegar

1 tbsp : paprika

0.5 tsp : salt

0.5 tsp : ground white pepper

4 tbsp : creole or whole grain spicy mustard

1 tbsp : finely diced celery

3.5 tbsp : finely diced onion

1 tbsp : minced parsley

1 head : chopped romaine lettuce

Boil shrimp until just done (aprox 2 minutes), shock in ice water and refrigerate for one hour. Mix olive oil, vinegar, paprika, salt, pepper, mustard, celery, onion and parsley and chill. Dress shrimp with sauce and let stand. Place shrimp on lettuce.

--

And here's a recipe for Creole Mustard. I saved it from somewhere, but don't remember the source for the credit.

Creole Mustard Recipe

Ingredients

1 cup dry white wine

1 clove garlic, peeled and minced

1 teaspoon celery seeds

1 teaspoon ground allspice

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon ground cloves

Pinch nutmeg or mace

1 cup mustard seeds, toasted and ground (see Notes below)

2 tablespoons tarragon vinegar

2 tablespoons malt vinegar

Instructions

Sterilize three 1-cup jars and their lids, and leave in hot water.

Combine the white wine, garlic, celery seeds, allspice, salt, cloves and nutmeg in a small, heavy saucepan. Bring the mixture to a simmer over medium-high heat. Remove the pan from the heat and allow to sit, uncovered, for two hours.

In a large bowl, mix the ground mustard seeds (see notes below) and tarragon and malt vinegars until you have a smooth paste. Return the pot with the wine infusion to a boil over high heat. Remove the pan from the heat and strain through a fine sieve into the bowl with the mustard paste. Mix well, stirring constantly. Pour the mustard into the hot, sterilized jars, leaving 18-inch headspace, and adjust the lids. Store in a cool, dry place for three weeks before use. Refrigerate after opening.

Notes - To toast and grind mustard seeds:

Heat a heavy skillet over medium heat and add 1 cup whole mustard seeds. Cook, uncovered, until the seeds begin to pop, about one minute. Remove the skillet from the heat and cover with a kitchen towel until the popping stops and the seeds cool, about five minutes.

Place the toasted mustard seeds in an airtight container to be used later, or grind them with a mortar and pestle or rough grind in a spice or coffee grinder for use in other recipes. Another method to grind seeds is to place the seeds between two sheets of waxed paper and grind with a rolling pin on a flat surface.

Yield: about 2-1/2 cups

Credits

Recipe from: Author unknown

The chef replied with a recipe already. Unfortunately, Shrimp Arnaud is their most popular dish and they guard their exact recipe (because the sauce is marketed), but he sent an alternate recipe he assures that we will like.

I feel awkward posting an email from the restaurant on the board, so I'll PM it to you.

Good luck!

Rhonda

Well, I've strolled through Harrod's food courts on several occasions, and I'd be willing to bet that there might very well be some creole mustard on sale there.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

That's what I miss about London! Being able to call up Harrod's and ask for eclectic rare stuff and no doubt, someone will find it, or get it in for you!!

I'm interested in the recipe, sounds fab, can someone PM it to me?? Please??

"Coffee and cigarettes... the breakfast of champions!"

hi , i used to work at Arnauds and their shrimp Arnaud is made with a new orleans creole style remoulade sauce... you could substitute a french Moutard de Pomerray ( sic ) for creole, but i would look for one with a finer grind than they usually are, or pulse it in a food processor with a little dijon.. if you want an aproximate recipe i could probably replicate it for you out of my head, or im sure you could mail order aa bottle of it , its good and real zippy and pungent..

hi , i used to work at Arnauds and their shrimp Arnaud is made with a new orleans creole style remoulade sauce... you could substitute a french Moutard de Pomerray ( sic ) for creole, but i would look for one with a finer grind than they usually are, or pulse it in a food processor with a little dijon.. if you want an aproximate recipe i could probably replicate it for you out of my head, or im sure you could mail order aa bottle of it , its good and real zippy and pungent..

I'd love that approximate recipe. It sounds divine for any kind of cold seafood.

Edited by Jaymes (log)

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, please either post it or PM it to me.

Thanks!