• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

We're going on vacation...

We're leaving the kids with my mom and have booked a room at the Westin Embassy Row for the weekend of 6/17-19. In addition to sleeping in and ordering room service for breakfast :wink: we have a goal of eating several good meals. Dinner on Saturday night will be at Corduroy, and Friday we will probably hit Firefly for drinks. Citronelle would be an obvious choice but we're saving that for my birthday in July. :smile:

We're considering several options for Friday dinner, Saturday lunch, and Sunday brunch - among them 2 Amy's for lunch and BdC for brunch. We will have a car, but would prefer to cab, metro or stumble back to the hotel. Any other suggestions?

(Not food related but worth mentioning: I booked the hotel through hotwire.com. What an incredible bargain.)

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

Drinks at Firefly, walk across Dupont Circle and dinner at Komi.

Saturday lunch I'm partial to Zaytinya and their large patio, good if you are close to the museums.

Zaytinyah is a good choice, but we've been there several times, and part of our plan for the weekend is a fresh look at our fair city. That said, there are 2 exhibits we're hoping to catch at the NGA that weekend.

Komi is a good suggestion for Fri. Wonder if they're on opentable.com...

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

I had a nice Sunday lunch at Sette last weekend after not having been in a long time. The sidewalk patio was full but looked inviting, and the dining room was nice and breezy with fresh air from the open doors.

And a big plate of meat is always nice.

Bill Russell

Given the location of your hotel I would try to get into Obelisk-rarely, if ever, mentioned on this board-but excellent. I would also have at least a lunch at either Bistrot du Coin (indoors) or Kramer Books' Afterwards' Cafe (outdoors) both of which are very, very good for what they do. Bistrot du Coin feels EXACTLY like what you would close your eyes on the Champs d'Elysee and, when you open them, expect to be outside the window from your table. Paris. It's authentic. Afterwards Cafe is enormously popular with all of their tables full even at 3 on afternoons. Sitting outside, it FEELS like Washington, D. C.

I would wander on P street, Connecticut Avenue both north and south of the Circle (where I was gassed when Nixon was president in the late 60's!), consider Johnny's Half Shell, Al Tiramisu, even carry out down to the P street beach. You may also want to give serious consideration to Nora, another restaurant rarely mentioned on here. But excellent, perhaps even romantic and intimate in a row house off Mass Avenue. Then, of course, there is the Tabard Inn for at least a drink. Or walking down P street into Georgetown or around Dunbarton Oaks park and checking out the 300 + plus year old tombstones. (Serious.) Even a scoop of ice cream at Thomas Sweet or wandering several blocks south to the C & O Canal and the electic and eccentric stores which frame both sides of it for several blocks. You may find what those who come here from Sandusky and Wichita and Tulsa find: this is a magical city worth as much exploration as any city in Europe or elsewhere.

You don't need to take a cab anywhere. You are ground zero in one of the most beautiful cities on earth. My applause for what you are doing!!! I would just walk out of your hotel-in any direction-for dinner, brunch, lunch or just a drink-and enjoy Washington, D. C.

More people who live here should do what you are doing.

Thanks for the great suggestions Joe - Tabard Inn is a good choice. I have dined at Nora but not in many years so it might be time for another visit. Dupont Circle is a wonderful neighborhood - we lived there when we met, and still think of it as our place despite relocating to the 'burbs 7 years ago.

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

If I wanted to eat brunch outside in Dupont I'd pick up the Sunday paper at Kramerbooks and carry it up to Sette, avoiding Afterwards altogether. Or you can wander over to Kozy Korner and save your pennies for dinner. My recent experience at Tabard was apparently less satisfying than Jenny's -- kind of a mediocre meal at a non-mediocre price. I still love the place, though; consider it for lunch or brunch, and get there early.

By far, the best place within easy walking distance of your hotel -- with all due respect to Obelisk -- is Marcel's. Make the boy wear a necktie and (or eat in the bar, with the jazz) and have a meal/service combination that makes you truly say "holy shit, was that good."

I'm a little bitter about being fired from Nora, lo these many years ago, but I've always had a soft spot for the food and, clearly, service is a priority for them. :laugh:

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

If I wanted to eat brunch outside in Dupont I'd pick up the Sunday paper at Kramerbooks and carry it up to Sette, avoiding Afterwards altogether.  Or you can wander over to Kozy Korner and dave your pennies for dinner.

Is that the place on N St? If so it was 2 blocks from my apartment and got more than enough of my business then. Sette serves brunch?

By far, the best place within easy walking distance of your hotel -- with all due respect to Obelisk -- is Marcel's.  Make the boy wear a necktie and (or eat in the bar, with the jazz) and have a meal/service combination that makes you truly say "holy shit, was that good."

Marcel's what? :laugh:

Getting Scott into a tie might be challenging, but I will see about a reservation for Friday.

I'm a little bitter about being fired from Nora, lo these many years ago, but I've always had a soft spot for the food and, clearly service is a priority for them. :laugh:

Clearly. :wink:

Seriously, I remember nothing about my two meals there. Not sure if that says something about me or the food.

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

I haven't been to Obelisk in a year, Marcel's in two years. But then Obelisk, a MUCH smaller and more intimate restaurant, "accepted" reservations for one month to the day in advance. Weekends often booked up in hours from when their phone lines opened. Marcel's is a very different experience that is excellent in its own right. For me, if I could get into Obelisk I believe you would have a very different type of experience than at Marcel's. As to whether it is better or not that would depend on individual taste and mood. They are both well worth the effort of getting in-just different. Frankly, depending on your budget I would call Alysa at Laboratorio and ask if they've had a cancellation for the Lab AND IF TABLE #7 is available. The odds are probably 100-1. But table 7 at the Lab is one of the great restaurant experiences of any restaurant in the world. I am serious. You sit literally five or six feet from where Roberto assembles each of the 12 courses in the 3 + hour dinner. Corkage is $15 which, in combination with the prix fixe, is still horribly expensive ($125 prix fixe). But this is truly an extraordinary experience. Again, this is probably a long shot at best anyway.

But he doesn't ask for a tie, or even a jacket. Although most dress pretty well there.

For what it's worth my wife and I will have our anniversary dinner there this year; last year was Maestro. Two years before was Obelisk, the same year we had Valentine's dinner at Marcel's....

And the Lab is totally different from Obelisk, Marcel's or Citronelle....

Edited by Joe H (log)

I sent Scott a link to Marcel's website (with a lovely pic of boudin blanc on the home page) and now he's having trouble concentrating at work.

It's his birthday dinner on 6/18, so he gets to choose. Friday night he wants to go out for drinks and play it by ear. We live pretty scheduled lives (small kids) so getting an evening to hang out is at a premium.

Edited by hjshorter (log)

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

I sent Scott a link to Marcel's website (with a lovely pic of boudin blanc on the home page) and now he's having trouble concentrating at work.

It's his birthday dinner on 6/18, so he gets to choose.  Friday night he wants to go out for drinks and play it by ear.  We leave pretty scheduled lives (small kids) so getting an evening to hang out is at a premium.

The good thing is that you can more or less wander into Marcel's bar at will, and order off the bar menu or the regular menu, without a tie. The bad news is that One Step Down is closed so can't mix and match a smokey, timeless jazz scene with an upscale nosh.

I've been through the boudin blanc at Le Paradou, Palena and Marcel's this year. All brilliant, but Marcel's wins.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.