• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sushi on Bloor

colinc

My fiancee and I ate at Sushi on Bloor (515 Bloor West) this weekend. We arrived with high expectations, as we'd heard it recommended so many times, and left a bit disappointed.

Good:

- The maki tasted good.

- The rolls were large.

- The crunchy and university rolls had a lot of fish in them. Together with the avocado... mmm.

- The prices were decent. $25 plus tax and tip for edamame and 4 large maki.

Bad:

- The maki didn't look carefully prepared. They looked like supermarket sushi. Not much visual appeal.

- Our table was extremely wobbly. Our teacups kept trying to commit suicide.

- The staff kept swearing in Cantonese.

- The men's bathroom was disgusting. I'm told the women's bathroom wasn't so hot either.

The food was good, and we'd eat there again if we happened to be in the neighborhood or craved cheap sushi, but we both felt that Japango was much better in terms of presentation, atmosphere, and selection.

In the building east of the Bay, on the street level - north side of Bloor, there is a small Japanese restaurant with good sushi. I recommend this as an alternative.

Decafalon (n.): The grueling event of getting through the day consuming only things that are good for you. twofish@iyume.com

If my better half and I are in Yorkville shopping - there is this below street level japanese steak house that serves us really tasty Sushi and Chawanmushi - the name escapes me though - down some stairs with the bar on the left - sushi bar to the right along with about 8-12 tables and the hibachi grill is straight ahead and around the corner behind the bar-wall. The only Japanese place i see a listing for is Sushi Inn but I'm pretty sure that's not it

If my better half and I are in Yorkville shopping - there is this below street level japanese steak house that serves us really tasty Sushi and Chawanmushi - the name escapes me though - down some stairs with the bar on the left - sushi bar to the right along with about 8-12 tables and the hibachi grill is straight ahead and around the corner behind the bar-wall. The only Japanese place i see a listing for is Sushi Inn but I'm pretty sure that's not it

Is it one of these?

Asuka Japanese Restaurant

108 Yorkville Ave. Toronto

Mochizuki Japanese

655 Bay Street, Unit 5 Toronto

Yamato Japanese Restaurant

24 Bellair St. Toronto

Zero Sun Japanese Restaurant

69 Yorkville Ave. Toronto

What are the prices like? You mentioned a hibachi grill - does the steakhouse have yakiniku? I'm looking for a place with authentic yakiniku...I remember seeing an ad for something like that in this Japanese newsletter.

Thanks!

Is it one of these?

Asuka Japanese Restaurant

108 Yorkville Ave. Toronto

Mochizuki Japanese

655 Bay Street, Unit 5 Toronto

Yamato Japanese Restaurant

24 Bellair St. Toronto

Zero Sun Japanese Restaurant

69 Yorkville Ave. Toronto

What are the prices like? You mentioned a hibachi grill - does the steakhouse have yakiniku? I'm looking for a place with authentic yakiniku...I remember seeing an ad for something like that in this Japanese newsletter.

Thanks!

The prices seemed reasonable - 30.00 in food and 40.00 in Sake - about my normal rate. I've only had lunch there twice, never dinner. Yamato sounds familiar but I'm not positive

edit sp

Edited by GordonCooks (log)