• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lots and lots of leftover milk chocolates..

rajsuman

I have a jar in the kitchen where I put all those chocolates that nobody in the family wants. I keep telling myself to throw them out, but I can't bring myself to. Perhaps I could put them to good use? Any suggestions to use them up? It's a real mish-mash, there some expensive chocolates from boxes, some easter eggs as well as the cheaper kids' chocolate bars. I did a search here and on Google, but couldn't find anything substantial. Is my only option to throw them out?

Thanks as always,

Suman

Noooooooo, don't throw out.

Make a chocolate fondue instead and dip your strawberries, cherries and an angel´s kiss in spring...

and don't forget the Kirsch or the Rum and of course the creammmmm mummm.

I had a bunch of Hershey's Miniatures left over after last Halloween. They made great chocolate chunk cookies and some halfway decent ganache too.

Di

Or you could chop them up and substitute them for chocolate chips in cookies or bars.

edit: DiH beat me to it

Edited by lexy (log)

Cutting the lemon/the knife/leaves a little cathedral:/alcoves unguessed by the eye/that open acidulous glass/to the light; topazes/riding the droplets,/altars,/aromatic facades. - Ode to a Lemon, Pablo Neruda

you can use leftover chocolate to make a cuvee hot chocolate

Milk 1

sugar 1

butter 1

praline 1

chocolate 1

salt to taste

Bring milk and sugar to boil, emulsify in order, chocolate, praline, butter

Emulsify and serve smoking hot,

also makes good mousse base

Milk 1

sugar 1

butter 1

praline 1

chocolate 1

salt to taste

By emulsify, do you mean blend together?

Do NOT, as I did today, inflict them on someone who may be emotionally scarred and put off chocolate for life.

We showered and dressed and went off to breakfast at 10, with two objects on our outing:

Go to Son and DDIL's house and make some pictures of them and their houseguests.

Go see Star Wars.

Sometimes in Winter I smuggle in a pack of M&M's or maybe a bit of homemade fudge in my pocket to enhance the popcorn experience. Today, I bagged up, in a Ziploc sandwich baggie, about a dozen very large chocolate-covered DRIED cherries, not the kind with the oozy fondant inside. To avoid their melting in my pocket, I put them in the center cupholder.

We ate our breakfast and went on over to their house, where we were warmly received and introduced to her college friend and her new husband. Pictures by the lake, pictures on the lawn. As they posed and snapped, I walked my Granddog on a leash. Occasionally comments were made about the common area, where some residents had apparently not been taking care of their dogs' BUSINESS as they should.

We said our goodbyes, and as I got into the car, I noticed the baggie sitting there in the full sunshine. It had succumbed to the closed-car temperatures, and was a mass of melted chocolate with visible lumps peeking through here and there.

I took the baggie back to the door, knocked, and presented it to my son, who grimaced, took it and started for the garbage. I said, "No, put it in the fridge; it will be OK to eat as soon as it firms up a bit so you can get it out of the baggie."

All four stared at me open-mouthed, then I said it was chocolate. Son then said he didn't think he could eat it, even later. And maybe never again. :shock:

yes

Milk 1

sugar 1

butter 1

praline 1

chocolate 1

salt to taste

By emulsify, do you mean blend together?