• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dim Sum in Dallas/Arlington?

robyn

We're in Dallas now. I plan to write up our eating here when I have some time. Which will probably be when I get home - we had a great meal/experience at York Street last night - I defy anyone to dislike this restaurant

Anyway - apart from driving about 1000 miles on 20 different freeways in 24 hours (I guess it takes some getting used to - and we're not used to it yet - I don't know who's more frazzled - us or our rental car GPS) - I am planning the next couple of days. We're returning to Fort Worth (spent the day in museums there today) on Monday to go to the Van Cliburn piano competition in the afternoon. Was reading a local paper - Startime - today - and it wrote up a dim sum place in Arlington - Jade. Really good review - and the picture of the food looked very appetizing. Has anyone ever eaten there? Seems like it might be a good place for an early lunch on our way to Fort Worth on Monday.

By the way - we ate lunch in Fort Worth today at the Stockyards (had to see the cattle drive - and my husband loved getting a chance to practice his Japanese with the Japanese tourists :smile: ). Had an extremely competent lunch at Hunter Brothers' H3 Ranch (I had the grilled trout and my husband had the hash and eggs which he said were good - he gave a big thumbs up to the biscuits).

Another question while I have you here - is the Dallas farmer's market a little south of town worth a short visit tomorrow morning (don't know how long I'll last outside in 100 degree heat - I am definitely hitting the malls in the afternoon :wink: ). Sorry we brought this weather with us. I'm not a heat wimp - but it is really hot! Robyn

Edited by robyn (log)

Hi Robyn. Can't help with the Arlington Dim Sum. Maybe someo else can.

But I would pass on the farmer's market and take in the China exhbit at the Dallas Museum of Art and then go next door to the Nasher Sculpture Gardens. (The Crow Asian Art Center is also next door to the DMA.) The DMA has a cafe in the atrium and also a restaurant. The Nasher has a cafe run by the Mansion at Turtle Creek. Or you can run up to the Meadows Museum at SMU. I don't know if their cafe is still open, but there are a number of good places for a bite in the SMU/Park Cities neighborhood.

robyn . . .

Please do not miss the China exhibit at the DMA. I was up a few weeks ago. The only venues in the US are Dallas and it was in Chicago last fall. The cafe is very pleasant and I had a delightful lunch in a nice setting. I didn't know that the restaurant was there but I understand from friends that it is very good.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Just so you know, it is unseasonably hot for this time of year, or at least in my 5 years of experience living here. So we do blame you for bringing it! :wink:

If you're a Farmer's Market vet, the downtown one may underwhelm. There's something offputting about the whole buying from the farmer experience when you buy oranges with the Sunkist label on them . . . but the other "sheds" at the Farmer's market have some neat artwork and furniture, so that compensates a little.

Yes - we've heard that this is record heat for this time of year. Luckily - we brought the right clothes - and almost everything we have planned is inside. Museums (we've been to the Nasher - the Modern - the Kimball and the Amon Carter - don't know if we'll have time for the DMA) - shopping - and today we're going to the Van Cliburn Piano Competition. And - of course - eating. In addition to York Street - we've been to Ciudad and La Duni (which I hope to write up when I get a chance) - tonight is Aurora.

Will skip the food market (it's simply too hot to enjoy it) - and probably the dim sum (we've had excellent eating - but we're stuffed - today we're looking for a *very* light lunch so we can do justice to Aurora).

Only major disappointment was Northpark Center (Nieman Marcus mall). Looks like it should have been renovated about a decade ago. What gives with that? And my husband and I were wondering - who/what are the major employers/industries in Dallas? Robyn

The largerst employers are pretty much tech companies in one form or another.

This includes defense, telcom and various other "hi tech"

For Dim Sum in Arlington

Arc-en-Ciel on New York @ 807-469-9999

In Richardson Maxims

http://www.guidelive.com/portal/page?_page...L&item_id=13596

In Garland

Arc-en-Ciel on Walnut & Kingsley

Never trust a skinny chef

We wound up having a late breakfast at Lucky's (near shopping). Tasty - but I wouldn't want to make a habit of meals like that. The Van Cliburn competition was wonderful. I recommend it to anyone in the area who has a few hours to spare (people who hold series subscription tickets and aren't using a few put them up for resale at the box office - so you can get tickets for the earlier rounds at the last minute). Robyn

My wife and I tried a new (to us) dim sum place in Arlington called Jade last Sunday. It's at 2420 E. Arkansas just west of the 360 where Thanh Thanh used to be. It wasn't spectacular but as good as anyplace I've been to in the Metroplex.

The usual mix of chicken feet, shrimp dumplings, chow fun stuffed with shrimp, beef balls, pork bbq bao, etc. Unfortunately we were there too early to get BBQ pork or duck.

They also serve lunch and dinner and the menu looks promising.

Jade was the place that was written up in the Metroplex weekly alternative newspaper (forget the name). The review agreed with you - said it was one of the best - if not the best - in the area. Do they have carts that come around? About how many different kinds of dim sum did they serve? Robyn

Jade was the place that was written up in the Metroplex weekly alternative newspaper (forget the name).  The review agreed with you - said it was one of the best - if not the best - in the area.  Do they have carts that come around?  About how many different kinds of dim sum did they serve?  Robyn

They do have carts that come around. There were probably 20-25 dishes to choose from. We tried seven or eight things. We got there shortly after they opened and were the first people there so they may have more things available later in the morning.

We went back for dinner this weekend and were not as impressed by the dinner as the dim sum. We tried the bbq duck/pork combination, pan-fried scallops in soy sauce and the oysters with ginger and green onion hot plate. Everything was rather mediocre...

Edited by sarozen (log)