• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chicken is like vodka

First... let me introduce myself. I am a simple home bar enthusiasts, 30 years

old, and a software engineering manager in New Orleans LA.

Someone recently told me that chicken is like vodka. Both are blank slates and depending on what you put with it, will determine how good the finished product is.

I thought that was rather profound and I had to share it here.

If you think about the parallels between the two it is very true. I'm not much of a cook or chicken expert, but it seems to make sense to me.

Vodka is tasteless, oderless and excepts the flavor of whatever it is combined with very well.

Chicken is... well not tasteless or orderless but I think it excepts the flavor of whatever it is combined with very well.

You rarely if ever just eat chicken... plain. The same goes with vodka.

Just thought I would share...

--

...the bar mix master has spoken.

http://www.barmixmaster.com

Reasonable analogy based on empirical observations... but my issue with it is that by definition Vodka should have no taste, while chicken, on the other hand, should.

The fact that chicken is like vodka is more of a statement of manufacturing defect about the chicken than anything else.

That fact that tasteless things accept the flavors they're mixed with is not all that profound. Tofu would be easily substitutable for either chicken or vodka in the proposition.

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch

If you want to make a food analogy, saying Vodka is like Tofu is far closer than saying it is like chicken. Chicken has lots of flavor to it.

However I even think that Tofu has a lot more flavor in it than Vodka.

Perhaps the best thing to compare vodka to is bottled water... and for good reason :->

The fact that chicken is like vodka is more of a statement of manufacturing defect about the chicken than anything else.

I agree. Chickens taste like chickens in China.

Here in the US, many chickens don't taste like chickens.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

• 2 weeks later...

Will I get shot if I reveal my enthusiam for grammer by pointing out that chicken accepts flavors, not excepts flavors? There should be some pun in here about vodka and everything except flavor, but it's not quite coming together in my head.

I agree that tofu is a better analogy. Tofu has a very mild flavor: a sort of chalky soy-ness that comes through under whatever you season it with; just as the alcoholic heat of vodka comes through whatever juice you happen to throw it in.

I for one don't mind your grammAr lesson if you don't mind my spelling one. :wink:

Christopher

Will I get shot if I reveal my enthusiam for grammer by pointing out that chicken accepts flavors, not excepts flavors? There should be some pun in here about vodka and everything except flavor, but it's not quite coming together in my head.

I agree that tofu is a better analogy. Tofu has a very mild flavor: a sort of chalky soy-ness that comes through under whatever you season it with; just as the alcoholic heat of vodka comes through whatever juice you happen to throw it in.

I for one don't mind your grammAr lesson if you don't mind my spelling one.  :wink:

Well, if we wanted to be picky, we might point out that "grammer" with an "e" isn't so much an incorrect spelling as an archaic one-- it was spelt that way at least as late as Shakespeare. "Accept" and "except", on the other hand, are almost antonyms.

(But we don't want to be picky, so we won't point that out.)

Hmmm...to me chicken is not like vodka but more like a subtle white wine. A roast chicken has tremendous flavor...even if it is easily overpowered. Now since I have never eaten tofu, I cannot comment on it. So for me I would say cod is like vodka, not a whole lot of flavor on it's own, but readily latches onto others. This is why many people eat cod...it doesn't really taste like fish. This is why people drink vodka, it doesn't taste like gin, whiskey, scotch, rum, or whatever. Just my 2 pennies.

A island in a lake, on a island in a lake, is where my house would be if I won the lottery.

I for one don't mind your grammAr lesson if you don't mind my spelling one.  :wink:

Christopher

LOL! :laugh: Thanks for coming to my rescue, Andrew. Spelling, alas, is the only subject I ever cheated on in school, and look where that has taken me! Fortunately, spell-check is fairly reliable, while grammar-check is rather sketchy.