• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

pointclick

pointclick

Part 3 of the same video is very helpful:  

It shows that with a good dough even a novice can pull really thin and even noodles (much better than I did).

I suspect that they add alkaline water to make the dough less sticky.  In my attempts when the dough was in a pullable state it was so sticky than it couldn't be operated on.  Yesterday I added some alkaline water and it did reduce the stickiness which made the dough more pullable.

pointclick

pointclick

Part 3 of the same video is very helpful:  

It shows that with a good dough even a novice can pull really thin and even noodles (much better than I did).

I suspect that they add alkaline water to make the dough less sticky.  In my attempts when the dough was in a pullable state it was so sticky than it couldn't be operated on.  Yesterday I added some alkaline water and it did reduce the stickiness which made the dough pullable.