• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

SEA: Coffee shops with good views

Fellow egulletteers:

I'm interested in seeking out coffee shops with views--water, city, whatever. Just places to tuck into my Saturday/Sunday Times, a cuppa, and a good view for pondering. Any thoughts? Close to downtown is preferable!

Thanks.

PJ

It's not exactly the view you're looking for--the Supercuts across the street figures prominently--but I love sitting next to one of the big windows at Red Line (Denny and Summit) looking out over the Capitol Hill traffic and towards downtown. Red Line is my favorite coffeehouse on Capitol Hill, for many reasons, including the wonderful light-filled room.

Hungry Monkey May 2009

Sonya's on 1st? When it was the previous deli place, I recall a nice view towards the water from the window tables. But the coffee quality? Same regarding Lowells or Athenian. Interesting question. You could enjoy the scene from SBC at Westlake/Pike

I know this fabulous place with a knock out view in Montepulciano!

Edited by tsquare (log)

Soundview Cafe in Pike Place Market also has an excellent water view, but again can't vouch for the quality of their coffee--especially since it's been a long time since I last was there.

Now in terms of street-scene/people-watching views--and IMO the best damn espresso in Seattle--you can't beat Espresso Vivace's sidewalk cafe location on Broadway in Capitol Hill.

Soundview Cafe in Pike Place Market also has an excellent water view, but again can't vouch for the quality of their coffee--especially since it's been a long time since I last was there.

I was just there today, and the coffee was disgusting. The whole place is different from how it used to be--less of a hippified atmosphere, and not as much variety in the menu.

There's a very European coffee shop in Pioneer Square that has great coffee and a ton of tables outside. It's right in the middle of all of the art galleries on a closed-off brick street. I'm almost positive that it's Torrefazione, possibly even the original one. I don't think that they do too many of the speciality drinks, like shakes and granitas (and Swirkles!), but focus on more time-tested espresso drinks. The view is of the beautiful women/handsome men-historic brick building-no visible nature variety, but really cool.

And you can't get much closer to downtown.

Edited by chuck (log)

If we aren't supposed to eat animals, why are they made of meat?

• 1 year later...

I'd highly recommend Caffe Senso Unico on Olive between 6th and 7th. It's owned by an Italian, Mario Gelmini, who you'll usually see working behind the bar, and he strives to make the experience as authentically Italian as possible. Their beans are from Caffe Umbria.

Thanks mamster...is there a discernable difference between the Vivace coffee they serve at Vivace, and the coffee at Bellino (the place on 2nd Ave.) where they use Vivace beans?  :smile:

I haven't been to Bellino. At Vivace they have great skill with steamed milk, which is important to me, but if you're getting americanos, they may well be comparable.

Matthew Amster-Burton, aka "mamster"

Author, Hungry Monkey, coming in May

dandelion: I'll be sure to check out Caffe Senso Unico. Thanks for the tip:

mamster: I went to Vivace today for my morning Americano. It is a little better than Bellino...less bitter, I'm guessing that has to do with the barista's skill. The coffee was very good, thanks! :smile:

I was also wondering...in the better coffee shops in Vancouver, there is a thin layer of crema on my Americano, and I haven't come across that in Seattle yet. I don't know much about coffee (only that I love to drink it :smile: ) but is there supposed to be some in my Americano? I was always under the impression that this was one of the hallmarks of a good espresso or Americano; is this assumption invalid?

You'll find crema on your Americano at Senso Unico -- that's what I usually order in the mornings, and it's delicious. It's a little harder to keep the crema on an Americano (compared to just a straight shot of espresso) because of the addition of the hot water to the drink. Senso Unico puts a bit of hot water in the cup first, then layers the espresso shots over the top, which is what I think keeps the crema from breaking up.

Concur with much of the above commentary. Which leads me to a question for you experts:

Is there a decent indie coffee bar to be found in Bellevue?

On the eastside, I find myself having to go to Victor's in Redmond...which is great, except that it is far from Bellevue...

-- point pinto in no top pit

So back to the original point of this thread. Close to downtown, with good coffee, and a good view. I would recommend Bauhaus on Pine. They have giant floor to ceiling windows with a clear view of the Space Needle. They serve Top Pot donuts and many other awesome breakfast pastries. Also a great place to come late at night if you can’t sleep as they stay open until 1am.

Edited by pupkinpie2 (log)

Ling-

Getting good crema involves a number of factors. However, the most common is factor is determined by whether they can pull the shots directly into your cup or not. If they pull the espresso into shot glasses first, then pour the contents in your cup, usually your crema is left in the shot glass.

Often times whether they brew directly into your cup (as opposed to a shot glass first) depends on whether they can fit the cup under the brewing device...short americanos yes, grandes no--especially for "to go" cups. It also depends a lot on the barista, of course.

Hope this helps!

~T

Traca

Seattle, WA

blog: Seattle Tall Poppy

Ahh...so interesting. Now that you mention it, scarlett, the Americanos I get in Vancouver where I remember getting a nice layer of crema were pulled directly into small glass mugs. :smile:

hhlodesign got my coffee from Bellino on Wednesday, because I was in the hurry to get back to Vancouver. After having my coffee from Vivace just the day before, I can safely say Vivace is better, even though they use the same beans.

Is there a decent indie coffee bar to be found in Bellevue?

On the eastside, I find myself having to go to Victor's in Redmond...which is great, except that it is far from Bellevue...

Okay, I'm stumped...what is an "indie" coffee bar?

That would be "independent." :biggrin:

Sacred cows make the best hamburger.

- Mark Twain, 1835 - 1910