• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Brunch in DC/NoVA

bexdc

I'm meeting a friend for brunch at noon this Sunday. I suggested the Tabard Inn - which makes their own doughnuts (!), but it turns out they're all booked up.

Any suggestions on where to get a great breakfast for under $20/person? And that's not too crazed at that time on a weekend?

There are a few places that do brunch but not sure how good they are:

Old Ebbitt Grill - Downtown

Cafe Deluxe - Cleveland Park

The old standbys - I'd rather go someplace new:

Teaism - Penn Quarter

South Austin Grill - Old Town Alexandria

Evening Star - Del Ray

I've only been to brunch at Old Ebbit twice -- my son's first communion and my daughter's first communion -- but they turn in a good, solid performance on the eggs benedict/bacon cheeseburger/fresh oysters end of the spectrum and don't snicker if you order a Bloody Mary at 11 AM. And they pull off the saloon thing with panache.

As a restaurant, I've found that Deluxe makes a great bar.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

Logan Tavern has good brunch on P St across from the Whole Foods. I'm also partial to Chef Geoff's downtown. Surprisingly, Gordon Biersch is also very good.

Firefly also, but not sure if you can get out of there <$20/head.

I'm meeting a friend for brunch at noon this Sunday. I suggested the Tabard Inn - which makes their own doughnuts (!), but it turns out they're all booked up.

Any suggestions on where to get a great breakfast for under $20/person? And that's not too crazed at that time on a weekend?

There are a few places that do brunch but not sure how good they are:

Old Ebbitt Grill - Downtown

Cafe Deluxe - Cleveland Park

The old standbys - I'd rather go someplace new:

Teaism - Penn Quarter

South Austin Grill - Old Town Alexandria

Evening Star - Del Ray

2 Brunches: Melrose at the Park Hyatt. They have a pianist. Nice room and good service. Appetizer buffet and menu entrée. Bistrot du Coin. Great eggs benedict and ambience. Warning here: this weekend is graduation from several local universities.

Mark

Ardeo in Cleveland Park is really nice for brunch and they have opened a small deck upstairs. You can book at OpenTable.com.

I also like Peacock Cafe, but it can be kind of a madhouse.

The Melrose Hotel (in Foggy Bottom, but not affiliated with Melrose the restaurant) has a lovely three course brunch in their restaurant, however I believe it is $21 per person.