• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Charles Baker

fatdeko

Oh, for pete's sake. While I'll admit that I wouldn't likely have outbid you I'm darned annoyed that this book was posted in the "Collectibles" section rather than the "Books" section. I have this book listed in one of my saved eBay searches but the search only covers books. Rats.

Oh, well, I guess I'll have to console myself with the Australian edition of The Fine Art of Mixing Drinks that I snagged for a ridiculously low price the other day. Considering that a first edition went for almost $150 this morning I'm feeling pretty good about my $13 paperback.

Congrats!

Kurt

“I like to keep a bottle of stimulant handy in case I see a snake--which I also keep handy.” ~W.C. Fields

The Handy Snake

I'm Not gloating, really I'm not. (Which isn't to say that I plan on wiping this day-old grin off my face any time soon)

The sad thing though, is that it was indeed poorly listed, (even moreso given that the seller had some idea what it was worth). I stumbled upon it hunting around for Prohibition Party presidential campaign buttons (the Swallow/Carrol ticket particularly). There was no action on the book until, with 8 hrs to go, the opening bid was matched (a pitiful 7.99!) by a fellow who collects Hepburn, John Wayne and Colin Powell biographies and the odd (less than $4.00) cookbook. I made it my personal mission to save it from an uncertain life in some weird-ass limbo-land. I should get a p'rade!

But the 6 degree question remains: William Morris Agency to William J Morris to Charles Baker to Kevin Bacon.

myers

Gloat away.....I know just happy how you feel. I'm still feeling smug about my South American GC score a few weeks ago. Much scarcer than the 1st set, and I got it for a song. It's going to be one of the treasures that sits on the back bar shelf. Better than Prada, every day of the week.

Audrey

I've got a South American set as well... Baker's writing about drinks is wonderful... I had no idea the SAGC was rare... I picked mine up for a song as well.

Getting a pair of the original in the slipcover rather than as the bound-into-one-volume reprint would be nice... but I've got all the relevant Baker texts available...

Edited by cdh (log)

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch