• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Favorite Maine Lobster Pounds

Holly's announcement of his upcoming trip to Boothbay Harbor made me search out an earlier post of mine on another food site.  Neither that site's search engine nor Google seemed able to find it, but fortunately I had saved a copy locally. I'm guessing that the post was deleted because it contains, quite innocently, the four-letter word "Shaw" unmodified by disparaging adjectives. Speaking of which, the Fat Guy may find this thread useful as he heads back east.

----- From 5/15/99

As I prepare for a clam and lobster trip up the New England coast, I thought I'd open a thread on lobster pounds.

Besides the Sterns' well-known choices (Abbott's, Beal's, Chauncey Creek, Five Islands, Nunan's, Ogunquit, Two Lights) and the ever-popular Lobsterman's Coop and Robinson's in Boothbay Harbor, my own very favorite is the Muscongus Bay pound at the left rear of the parking lot at Round Pond, near Pemaquid Point, Maine (the more distant of the two establishments that share the lot, though, for all I know, they may be under the same management). It's simple, uncrowded, inexpensive, and, at least as of last summer, nearly perfect for a casual outdoor waterside meal of steamers, lobster, and corn. You may, if you wish, pick up beer, wine and/or bread in Damariscotta on the way out. Shaw's pound nearby is also perfectly fine, but somewhat overcrowded and touristy; Shaw's also sells a variety of fried and other foods. For what it's worth, one of the locals claimed that Pemaquid is the optimal spot on the coast for trapping lobsters, due to an abnormality in the Gulf Stream that makes its waters especially chilly.

-----

The Muscongus Bay pound was sold a few years ago and has been slightly enlarged.  As of my visit last year, however, the new owners had not ruined it.

Other pounds culled from other venues: Thurston's Lobster Pound, Bar Harbor; Trenton Bridge Lobster Pound, near Bar Harbor; Waterman's Beach Lobster Pound, Rockland; Young's Lobster Pound, Belfast.

Any other opinions or suggestions?

Edit: Fixed a typo ("opinions").

"To Serve Man"

-- Favorite Twilight Zone cookbook

OK, it's not really a lobster pound, but...  My first lobster in Maine is almost always Red's in Wiscasset.  Their lobster roll is warm lobster, more than one lobster to a lobster roll, with melted butter on the side.  All out of the shell for easy, speedy consumption.

I've found Shaw's to be a good, reliable, Maine name.  Back a couple of scores or so, during my first 20 summers which I spent at Sebago Lake, we bought what we could from Shaw's General Store in South Casco.  Great selection of comic books, ice cold Nehi, and Old Settler's bread.  Since then, I've happened accross the Shaw name all along the coast, selling this and that.  Never been disappointed.  Beale is another one of those Maine names.  There are a bunch of them selling lobster along the coast.  Last year when I rented a cottage in Jonesport, I was right next door to a lobstering branch of the Beale family tree.  Didn't even have to drive into Jamesport, just leave a note on their door.

As to Lobster in the Rough, agree on Noonans - also enjoy the Cape Porpoise Lobster Company in the Cape Porpoise area and the Lobsterman's Coop in Boothbay Harbor.  Harraseeket Lobster in Freeport is fine, if you manage to avoid what can be a multi hour wait.  Had one of my best lobsters in Round Pond, though I think from was at the place closest to the parking lot.  Carman, Buddha and I, a few sea gulls, a setting sun and a couple of two and a half pounders.

While it's no challenge finding a mediocre Lobster Roll in Maine, I think it is much more difficult to find a mediocre lobster from a Maine Lobster Pound or other in-the-rough establishment.  The only exception, and that has to do with ambinece not lobster, is where the tourists outnumber the sea gulls.  But lobster pound for pound, the lobsters in Maine seem to be consistently good.

I'm also a fan of the Bush family's favorite haunt, Mable's, in Kennebunkport.  But that's a restaurant and up there in price.  Ambience can be a problem there too.  My last time at Mable's I had to share the dinning room with Ken Starr.

You mentioned clams.  So far my favorite Maine clams come from Allison's, a restaurant in Kennebunkport.  The Clam Shack, on the River in Kennebunkport is great too (horrible lobster roll though).  Also quite good is the NY Times favorite clam shack, the Sea Basket in Wiscasset.

Wiscasset is a tough town to hit on an empty stomach.  Chowder and Clams from the Sea Basket and a Lobster Roll and Hot Dog from Red's.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

Oops, just checked my site.  Had forgotten all about the Crossroads Restaurant in Pembroke, ME   That is where I had my favorite Maine Fried Clams.  But you have to go just as far North as you can go Down East.  It's way up there on Coastal Route 1.  

Crossroads-Clams2.jpg

These clams were shucked an hour before I ate them.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

Well, if we can include Red's in Wiscasset, we can certainly include Fatso's (Fatboy's?), just outside of Brunswick. Deep fried clams, burgers, deep fried onions.

It's directly opposite the side gate to the Naval Air station, and I've personally observed huge bags of takeout moving into the base, probably on their way to Turkey, Korea, or some other place beyond Fatso's usual marketing...

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

• 2 weeks later...

It could be that my favorite Maine Lobster Pound is the last lobster pound that I ate at, but...

My new favorite is Waterman's Beach Lobster in South Thomaston ME.  I may have been influenced by their having received a James Beard Regional Classic award, but I think it was the setting, the 2 pound lobster that had to weigh in closer to 3 pounds and the home made rhubarb pie.

Watermans-Lobster2.jpg

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

• 2 weeks later...

Holly, you must have visited Waterman's on a Thursday, Friday, Saturday, or Sunday. Filled with Beard expectations, I visited a few years ago one sunny Wednesday, only to find them... closed.  Other food trippers, be cautioned.

"To Serve Man"

-- Favorite Twilight Zone cookbook