• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Perfect Muffin Tops

digigirl

I am on a quest for the perfect muffin top / topping. I have done them with streusel toppings, and I have done them where I dip the just-baked muffins in melted butter then dip into a mixture of sugar and cinnamon.

However, the dip method is good right after baking, but turns soggy after sitting for a while. The streusel works pretty good, but I'm told it may be keeping my muffins from rising as much as they could.

How do they do those gourmet muffins you get at bakeries and restaurants where they are huge, giant mushroom tops with crispy / crunchy / sugary tops? And they stay that way even after sitting on your counter overnight and going into the microwave the next morning.

Any suggestions?

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body...but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Have you tried Patricia Austin's bran muffin recipe? If you overfill your muffin pans so that the batter is mounded above the height of the pan, you will get crunchy/crisp tops every time. However, you may have to use a lower temp (longer baking time) as my last batch came out a little raw inside. (I was trying not to overcook the bottoms.)

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=63111&st=30

Edited by sanrensho (log)
Baker of "impaired" cakes...

I'm not an expert but I have a few thoughts. First, it could be the recipe you're using. Have you tried a variety of recipes or just the same one with a variety of toppings? Second, the amount of batter you are using. At work I use a 5 oz scoop in a regular size muffin pan. They rise up really high but I don't use a streusel. One I leave plain and the other I put a thin slice of apple on. Although, I don't know that the streusel would make a difference to how they rose. Third, if it is the weight of your topping, how about trying just a heavy sprinkle of coarse sugar before you bake them. Just be sure the top of your pan is greased well as the melted sugar sticks.

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

How do they do those gourmet muffins you get at bakeries and restaurants where they are huge, giant mushroom tops with crispy / crunchy / sugary tops?  And they stay that way even after sitting on your counter overnight and going into the microwave the next morning.

Any suggestions?

Crown Muffin Pans... and Coarse Sugar, available in Brown Demerara, Sparkling White or Pearl.

Covered, muffins should keep for several days. I believe the additional butter that you're adding after baking is the culprit of your problems.

Di

I got an error message with your link to KA catalog.

This one works.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

• 2 years later...

I've been baking and searching endlessly to achieve the perfect huge moist muffin top for our bakery/cafe. I have finally seen the answer and it involves box cake and pudding batter mixes. Is there a way to get the same results from scratch?

I've been baking and searching endlessly to achieve the perfect huge moist muffin top for our bakery/cafe.  I have finally seen the answer and it involves box cake and pudding batter mixes.  Is there a way to get the same results from scratch?

I've wondered this, too--the traditional muffin recipes don't seem to work for those giant coffee shop muffins--I spent a month a few summers ago trying to develop a recipe that worked and i liked--I really don't like those super sweet heavy muffins that most places sell.

Zoe

If you haven't tried the Bake Shop Muffins from Fine Cooking magazine then you must. They are in the March 2006 edition. If you don't have it, please let me know and I will PM you the recipe. It makes amazing huge perfect muffins. I really need to take a picture next time I make them so I can show how awesome they are.

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

If you haven't tried the Bake Shop Muffins from Fine Cooking magazine then you must. They are in the March 2006 edition. If you don't have it, please let me know and I will PM you the recipe. It makes amazing huge perfect muffins. I really need to take a picture next time I make them so I can show how awesome they are.

I would love this recipe. Would you post it here (in your own words to avoid copyright issues)? Please.... :smile:

Ilene

So, am I the only person who reads the title of this thread and thinks to herself, "Hey, if you eat enough of just about any bakery product you can achieve perfect muffin tops"?

Can you pee in the ocean?

So, am I the only person who reads the title of this thread and thinks to herself, "Hey, if you eat enough of just about any bakery product you can achieve perfect muffin tops"?

I didn't think that but I immediately thought of the famous Seinfeld episode that involved muffin tops - where the bottom was ripped off and only that big glorious crunchy top was being sold. Is there such a beast as a muffin pan where the body of the muffin is really shallow and a big wide crown is allowed so you end up with mostly muffin top?

I would love this recipe. Would you post it here (in your own words to avoid copyright issues)? Please.... :smile:

I'm going to attempt to put it in RecipeGullet tonight. I'll post when it is done. I just have to read through all the copyright stuff first.

I didn't think that but I immediately thought of the famous Seinfeld episode that involved muffin tops - where the bottom was ripped off and only that big glorious crunchy top was being sold. Is there such a beast as a muffin pan where the body of the muffin is really shallow and a big wide crown is allowed so you end up with mostly muffin top?

These were all the rage a few years ago and the pans are still available. Here's an example: http://www.amazon.com/Chicago-Metallic-Gou...n/dp/B0000CFN2C.

The deal with muffins is using ingredients that are lightly mixed, stuffed quickly into a hot oven and using fresh baking powder. Each muffin just naturally bakes around the edges first and then shoots up the middle crowning up nice & high. A good recipe is important of course but there's no particular secret to this. I sprinkle cinnamon sugar on all my muffin tops before baking.

Here you go.

Muffin Top Pan

Muffins can be reheated with great success but no they do not 'hold' well, same as biscuits or scones. Just depending on what kind of ingredients you are using. At my tea room I baked and immediately froze my mini-muffins then reheated them for serving a la minute. Served them hot at each table.

gallery_46318_4735_29284.jpg

gallery_46318_4735_2545.jpg

Here are some muffins I made today. They are my best effort to date.

butter 85g

bitter chocolate 115g

melt together

pastry flour 240g

white sugar 150g

cocoa powder 25g

baking powder 15g or 1 tablespoon

baking soda 2.5g or half teaspoon

salt 2.5g or half teaspoon

chocolate chips 175g

sift all in big bowl, add chips

eggs 50g or 1 large

buttermilk 285g or 1.25 cup

vanilla x 7.5g or 2 teaspoons

add melted butter and chocolate to milk mixture

mix by muffin method. Scoop 175g into each muffin cavity (you'll need large-cavity pan) and referigerate for about 1 hour. Bake at 425 for 20 minutes and there you go.

I scoop into "crown-top" muffin pans, which you can see the first of the graduated muffin top. I found at Williams Sonoma and it was $17 for the untreated 6 cavity.

Edited by ruthie jewell (log)

Ruthie, those look awesome!! Sorry, I didn't get to add a recipe last night. I had to do some baking for my hubby for work but I should be able to do it tonight. Happy baking :)!

These are now in Recipe Gullet. PM me if you'd like a list of the flavour combinations the author suggests. http://recipes.egullet.org/recipes/r1982.h...22629eb7acd2e01

Edited by CanadianBakin' (log)

I remember seeing the muffin top pans years ago (I must have been in high school, in my pre-baking days) and thought what a great idea. Funny thing is, when I actually started baking, I couldn't find the thing and people were telling me it was a figment of my imagination. That is, until I found it one day! I've been happily baking with my muffin top pan ever since. Many times my "muffins" end up being like fluffy moist scones. :smile: I'm not complaining!

Blueberry Muffin Tops

Renka said--

"Many times my "muffins" end up being like fluffy moist scones."

Yeah, it's true, even if muffins come out not the way they are supposed to, they are delish--heavy, light, big holes, dense crumb, tough or tender--what could not be good about eggy buttery and not too sweet?

But i am curious to try CanadianBakins' recipe--thanks for posting it.

And Ruthie--By Jove, you've got it! Those muffins are gorgeous!

Does anyone have the recipe for muffins from Anna Thomas' Vegetarian Epicure--I think from II--that was my basic muffin recipe for years, then the book fell apart and i didn't replace it--I had it written down but I cleaned out old recipes when i got a new recipe file and i must have put that recipe in the wrong pile and ditched it.

It's a whole wheat and molasses recipe--But the great thing about it is that i've altered it in a zillion ways and it still comes out good--it makes very solid, heavy, little muffins--the kind you can throw at your kid to make them stop acting up and it won't fall apart!

Zoe

lol! I thought the same thing.

Shai, santoku-wielding dabbler in many things culinary.