• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Carbonade Flamande in Bruges/Brugge?

Take it for what it is worth - I was told by folks who know the

town that every one does decent waffles - It's the beer that

the town is very passionate about. Many good B&B places

serve great waffles. Let me know of mussells places that you might find in your next trip.

anil

• 4 years later...

FYI: The correct spelling is Brugge. "Bruges" is the French spelling for a place in the Dutch part of Belgium. The local people are Hollanders and the language is the Flemish dialect of Dutch.

About the food: some of the best mussels to be had are at

Restaurant -Tea Room De Torre. Langestraat 8 (050) 34-29-46

Pretty rooms good for dining when it is cold or for inclement weather, but everyone sits outside on the canal (gracht) otherwise.

Yours aye,

The MacNapier

FYI: The correct spelling is Brugge. "Bruges" is the French spelling for a place in the Dutch part of Belgium.

Welcome Howard and thanks for the correction which I've reflected in changing the title. I'm afraid spelling it Bruges reflects the preponderance of Francophile/Francophone members.

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

On our honeymoon, my wife and I were steered by some locals to a tiny place called Jan Van Eyck at Jan Van Eyckplein 12 (*not* to be confused with Van Eyck on 't Zand) where we had some fabulous food, including an excellent carbonnade.

For beer, try 't Brugs beertje for great beer (and quite a selection) and great atmosphere. It's just off the main square in the heart of town. Cafe Vlisseghem, dating from the 14th century, is another great spot, but in our experience was a bit more crowded and not quite as convivial as 't Brugs beertje. Either way, you've simply got to try a few different styles of Belgian beer. They're unlike anything else, and they're oh so fantastic. I can PM you a bit of a primer if you're interested.

And boy am I jealous.

edited to add: whoops. this is a recently-revived thread, so I guess the original poster has probably already come and gone. :unsure:

Christopher

Edited by plattetude (log)

FYI: The correct spelling is Brugge. "Bruges" is the French spelling for a place in the Dutch part of Belgium. The local people are Hollanders and the language is the Flemish dialect of Dutch.
Just to be precise: Hollanders are Dutch people living in The Netherlands; the correct word for Dutch is "Nederlanders" since "Hollanders" only refers to once the main province of The Dutch Republic in the 17th and 18th century.

Belgium is divided in three "gewesten" (main regions, not to be confused with provinces; there are much more provinces): Flanders, Brussels and Wallonia with all their own governments and parliaments, although there is also one federal government and Parliament as wel as a federal Senat.

Apart from the mentioned four governments, there are also "language" governments, called language communities responsible for example for education policy. [This implies by the way that the relatively small country of Belgium has 7 governments with also many, many ministers.]

Belgium is a country with three official languages: Dutch, French and German. Although it is officially Dutch and French, normally people are referring to Flemisch and Walloon. The Flemish and Walloon are sort of dialects of the Dutch and French with own words and expressions, not common to Dutch or French people.

German is only spoken in a small area, near to the German border around the town of Eupen.

In Flanders most people speak Dutch/Flemish which is the official language of the region. In Wallonia it is French/Walloon. Brussels is officially bi-lingual although about 85 % speaks French rather then Dutch.

Any suggestions for an inexpensive restaurant/cafe where I can get this and/or rabbit in beer?

Good place for waffles/pancakes?

Thanks.

Doug

Bruges is a very expensive, since touristic city and it will be difficult to find cheap and good places to eat. Furthermore it is one of the richest cities of Belgium.

As said before: it shouldn't be too difficult to find good places for waffles or pancakes there.