• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

upper northwest/bethesda recommendation

i'm looking for something good in this area for tomorrow night. preferrably something not too popular so we can get reservations, and flexible in case we're a little late (coming from philadelphia, picking up someone up by chevy chase circle, and you never know about traffic and whatnot).

we'll be with someone who can't stand for very long, so a bar-type waiting for tables thing probably isn't the best idea (which is why we aren't going to the bar at palena or 2 amys or something). 'ethnic' foods (by which i mean anything non-french or italian or american) are pretty much out, not by our choice. price isn't really much of a consideration, although something at like maestro or citronelle level would probably be a bit much.

does anyone have any ideas for us? how about ardeo? that's near there isn't it?

cool, thanks folks.

jennyuptown, it's pretty funny, i did a little search for arucola on here when you mentioned it, and one of the only things i found was you mentioning that it was nearby and you hadn't been, and you really should head over there sometime... from mid 2003.

haha... ok maybe only i find that funny. maybe it's because i'm the same way...

OK, now I'll make a point of it.  REALLY.

:biggrin:

Arucola has never impressed me, in terms of either atmosphere or food. I live about 10 minutes away, but haven't been to Arucola for three years (after several mediocre meals). SOOOOOOOO much better Italian available at Sergio's in Silver Spring or Liliana at Van Ness.

well, in case you're wondering, we went to ardeo on friday night, johnny's half shell on saturday lunch, and bistro d'oc for saturday dinner. i enjoyed all of them, with a special highlight being the combination of a 2003 minervois and cassoulet (ch. coupe roses cuvee vignals). it's like they were meant for each other.... oh wait they were.

thanks for the help y'all.