• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"Welcome to My Kitchen"

ahr

In preparation for maybe considering participating in the eG pot-luck dinner, I began to study the copy of "Welcome to My Kitchen" so kindly awarded to me by whoever was responsible for kindly awarding it to me. Recipes, aside, it's a pleasurable read.

The instructions for the white bean puree that will accompany those famous lamb shanks read in part as follows:

- Warm the beans in a sauté pan over medium heat.

- Add the cream, thyme leaves, and minced garlic to the pan and season with salt and pepper.

- Raise heat to high, bring to a boil, then lower to a simmer and add the vegetables to the pan.

- Cook until the cream is reduced and is almost dry on the beans and the beans are heated through, 4- 5 minutes.

I'm having trouble identifying those italicized vegetables, since the only veggies involved are some diced aromatics that became one with the beans long ago.

Has anyone else read this recipe?

Also, the picture of what I presume to be the lamb shanks on the dust jacket's rear is a stylist's conception. During cooking, the shanks and the vegetables come together in a roasting pan, not a sauté pan, and the vegetables are strained out of the sauce before serving. I note this merely as a warning to any pot-luck attendees expecting to be served exactly what's pictured on the jacket.

"To Serve Man"

-- Favorite Twilight Zone cookbook

Sandra, you are correct.  The Fat-Guy recipe is essentially a direct paste from the book, with some minor formatting changes, but it doesn't help with the beans.

"To Serve Man"

So, is anyone here close enough to Chef Valenti, his staff, or his publisher to ask about the bean recipe?

"To Serve Man"