• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

commercial ice cream makers

Karen Williams

• 2 weeks later...
Yes, steve, thanks for the great overview.  Many good/valid points to consider.

Believe it or not, the owners and the chef have given me the task of finding "what I would like or think I need."  I have even found a handful on eBay, some new, some "gently used" by places going out of business. 

I have been researching the pacojets, and the size appeals to Chef (as well as the option for us to test and experiment, and do specials).  As for freezer space, we have a walkin freezer downstairs, and a small service freezer, so the two diff temp thing looks not to be an issue. 

As for the volume expected, I am still trying to get a handle on that:  the dining room, versus the dessert bar, and also I anticipate making frozen product for the 2 other restaurants. 

I did come across the brand that I used last, the CRM, which is Italian made.  But what I loved about it was there were no litte parts to lose, no gaskets, rubber seals, no tiny funnels to try to pour through etc.  It's actually specifically a gelato maker, but let me tell you, it made the best ice cream ever (as well of course as gelato,sorbets etc).  Here is a picture.  It makes about 4-5 qts, is easy to clean, and the only removable parts are big enough to go thru the DW: the paddle, the clear lid, and a stainless lip at the base of the extruder(which i just run under hot water). (I actually only washed the lid once every week or so.) I just rinsed it out, and ran sanitizer though. No muss, no fuss.  I called my last boss and he said he had researched it thoroughly,  and bought for those reasons.  (and he is a major tightwad).  I never once had it serviced in the 1 1/2 yrs I worked for him.  I asked, he said it has only been serviced 3 times in the last 5-6 yrs!

I have not heard too many compliments on the Taylor brand. 

I also came across a Ross BA-4.  Anybody familiar with? Roughly $6500.

Question on PacoJet:  is there only the one size beaker?  One liter (actually 1.2)

or are there bigger beakers or models?

I think the best of all worlds is to do like you Steve, and have one Paco, and one batch freezer.  Of course, I don't think we could spring for both now.  But, my feeling is get the batch freezer now (and it's more $), but then 'persuade' the Chef to get a Paco later this year, for both of us , and it would allow greater creativity and quality, which I am sure he would love, once we get underway.

any other thoughts?

Paco-jet containers come in only one size and extra containers may be purchased in multiples of 4 or 6. In the meantime, I'm very interested in finding out more about the CRM Gelato Maker. Can you provide me with any leads on where to find it?

Previn Inc.

Supplier to Fine Restaurants.