• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Great Food and Great Hosts!

I have not made enough trips to the Irish Heather, in my life! I dropped by tonight for a 'pint' with NW after a grueling day of strategizing and planning Thursday night’s events.

The food and beer were enjoyable, but it was all about Sean. I really am impressed with his persona. The room is an extension of him.

I believe it is time to re-visit what makes the perfect Vancouver Pub! England, France, Italy, (Europe as a whole) and the USA all have very neighborhood oriented 'watering holes' that exemplify the culture of the area.

Sean is a master of his location...and I do not fully understand why I am driven to his establishment to abide, yet I return and enjoy!

What is the magic of this location? Is it prevalent in Vancouver....and where else can I find this ambience/hospitality within the city?

More importantly, how do we get Sean involved in this board again? Has anyone phoned or PM'ed him about Thursday? What a coup to get his insights back into what drives this phenomenon in Vancouver.

Seems to me the Vancouver industry could learn from his balance of food, drink, ambience, service and proprietorship! The balance is in the proper execution of proportions in the given situation.

Chef/Owner/Teacher

I believe the charm of the place lies not only with the host (Sean) and his staff but also the ambiance of the place. Where else in Vancouver do you get the architecture of the Irish Heather along with street scape (cobblestones, antique lighting fixtures, and tree line) along with the fact he is the only Irish gastropub that does not have TV's everywhere which in turn fosters chatting amongst the locals and visitors. The food is also a notch above any other pub in the city. I'm looking forward to the green away planned for Carrell Street and patio seating outside the Heather (now that's going to look and feel very European).

Stephen

"who needs a wine list when you can get pissed on dessert" Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares 2005

MY BLOG

I agree, being new to the term; Gastro-Pub. The room works on many different levels, I think most importantly it does not smell of a deep-fryer.

I was surprised, then pleased to see that their were no chicken fingers, burgers (?), chicken wings, poppers, etc on the menu. What a risk in a town like Vancouver.

Chef/Owner/Teacher

Hush. I don't my neighbourhood joint overrun with the egullet riff-raff.

I think it's the staff (Sean included). Every last one of them is charming and gracious and friendly. I always feel at home there.

I think part of the great success that Sean has is that the Heather is so much a part of his life and who he is. It is a comfortable room ( with no TVs so you have to talk to each other ) that is warm and inviting. The food is good and interesting - no nachos, wings etc. There has been lots of discussion about Sean, this board, "that post" etc but it is time to recognize the Heather for what it is - a great place to go, have a bite, hoist a couple and be met warmly and treated well. The best poured pint in town is certainly something to hang your hat on. And talk about turning a sows ear into a silk purse - Sean has taken a corner of one of the roughest neighbourhoods in our entire country and turned it into an homage to all things Irish. Have you been to the Deli ? The cheeses - handled well, not sweating in plastic wrap, great stuff, and the Whiskey Bar - is there any place in town with a selection like that ? maybe one or two hotels but I doubt many - that is passion for his product.

Cheers

Neil

Edited by nwyles (log)

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

www.hamiltonstreetgrill.com

First time for us in Irish Heather is during the whiskey cheese sampling. I was blown away by the hot-toddie (spelling?) not to mention all the delicious cheese from Salty Tongue and whiskey of course. Totally love the cheese platter in the menu. Sooooo good!!!

Honestly I was a little intimidated by the atmosphere at first because in my mind, "pub" is associated with "drunkards with red noses" :biggrin: However, the 2nd time we're there, I had a great time lounging in the "hip" back room that resembles a green room. Curious to see the place during daylight.

All in all, chimes in with Neil on this, IH is a FANTABULOUS hangout place!

Chemically speaking, chocolate really is the world's perfect food. --Michael Levine, nutrition researcher

Oh Yeah...100%

Please do not misunderstand my previous words, Sean is king. Long live the Gastro-Pub! Green is always good!

To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art La Rochefoucauld

Could it be the location??

It is a beautiful spot in a beautiful city.

It is the old city jail, a charm of days gone by.

History.

An honest effort

is that not what Irish pubs are all about?

steve

Cook To Live; Live To Cook