• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Swamp Cabbage

takomabaker

I grew up with sulfur water. My parents have a well too. I was always told that it was good for me. My mother swears that the reason she's 60 and has never had a cavity is because she grew up with it as well. But I can't figure out how something that smells like rotten eggs, turns bathtubs black, and rots lead pipes can be good for you. You can definitely tell when you walk into someone's home if they have sulfur water or "city water". Is sulfur water just a Florida thing, or does it exist in other parts of the South? I've never given it much thought.

Thanks for the collard advice, Robyn. I'm on my own if I want collards now (very sad). But it's definitely not the time of year to start that venture.

Well I know that sulfur water doesn't stop at the Florida state line because we go to a BBQ place called the Georgia Pig in south Georgia - and it has the most horrible sulfur water I've ever smelled (I won't go near the bathroom unless it's an emergency).

You're right - much too early for collards now. There's usually a thread or two in December about traditional southern New Year's dishes. And if you don't see one - start one. I and a lot of other people will drag out all our recipes - and make sure that your collards are terrific. Will be an interesting holiday season this year - at least for me. I have a mixed marriage - and this year Chanukah starts really late - after Christmas! Will run through the New Year. Collards for Chanukah? Why not :smile: ! Robyn