• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

50+ wedding cakes in Grand Central Station

What incredibly beautiful work on these cakes! The closeups of the detail work are amazing! The luminosity of the "ribbons" on some takes my breath away ...

almost worth getting married again ... :wink:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

I had the pleasure of visiting NYC yesterday, and took over 300 pictures of the cakes on display. I've posted 200+ on my webshots site... many are closeups of the detail.

I've also captured the sugar artist that created each cake, it's posted after each group or series of photos.

Grab a cup of coffee, set it to slideshow, and enjoy!!

You'll find the pictures here ----->NYC Cake Walk 2005

Hi everyone, thank you all for posting the photos and information, this was such a fun post to read and look at. I know it must have been fun to attend, but those of us that couldn't attend are able to see this beautiful work as many times as we want to, thanks to you generous people.

check out my baking and pastry books at the Pastrymama1 shop on www.Half.ebay.com

:rolleyes: Hi, Guys!

I discoverd this wonderful forum yesterday and this thread was like "BAM"... I live in NYC and was like "WooHooo". I intend on going today. Is there a set time that they allow entry? or is only from 1-7pm? I plan on going today. I'm glad I caught it in the nick of time! Thanks everyone for sharing the lovely pictures and offering your feedback on this event. Off I go!!!

Diva

WOOOOOOOOOOOOW...thanks for posting all of those photos! They're gorgeous! Someone from Bride's mag was on Good Morning America yesterday, and she had 4-5 of the cakes in the studio; all I could think was that they moved them AGAIN and that they must be nuts! :wacko:

They showed the blue one with the lovebirds, the funky stripes and dots (inspired by a fabric that the creator liked), the bamboo one (which blows me away), the origami one, and the b/w 'Taj Mahal,' which she said is not the Taj, but an estate built in...oh, my brain...can't remember. Regardless, every single one of these is a true work of art. Thanks for sharing!

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

I couldn't make it back yesterday, but I did show up first thing this morning (a little after 9 am). They posted the demo schedule for today:

1-2 pm

Chris Garza, Art Girl Cookies

Cookie icing

2-3 pm

Kate Sullivan, Lovin' Sullivan

Making and hand-painting gumpaste butterflies and magnolia flowers

3-4 pm

Elisa Strauss, Confetti Cakes

2-D cutout relief gumpaste flowers

4-5 pm

Raven Dennis, Cake Man Raven

Variegated buttercream flowers and swags

5-6 pm

Gail Watson

Decorated sugar flowers and sugar boxes

6-7 pm

Maria McBride, Brides Style Editor

Making placecard holders from sparkling wine cages

I haven't been able to stay for the demos, so it would be nice to hear from those who got a chance to go.

I couldn't make it back yesterday, but I did show up first thing this morning (a little after 9 am). They posted the demo schedule for today:

1-2 pm

Cookie icing

I just got back from Grand Central (again!) and happend to see some of the cookie icing demo. I could hardly see anything because there were about 10 people shoving themselves right up against the counter, so there really wasn't much chance for anyone else to see anything. Oh well. It was considerably more crowded today than it ws yesterday and I had a hard time getting close enough to any of the cakes to take pictures.

I did get a galss of champagne, though. :biggrin: The little cake sample they were handing out weren't very tasty. :sad:

Sherri A. Jackson

I also just got back from Grand Central (so nice of them to name this whole thing after me :rolleyes: ), and it is absolutely magnificent. The cakes are truly stunning.

Thanks to chefpeon's earlier thread, "The Short Sweet Life of a Sculpted Cake" (I don't know how to do the linking stuff, if someone else can I'd appreciate it), I have at least an inkling of an idea of how much thought and planning and work goes into making such cakes. They are truly remarkable.

I was there this morning. Fortunately, there were very few people there this morning. All the cakes were magnificent. I went with a friend who has taken quite a number of classes on cake decorating and we had examining each cake and determining the different techniques used.

Brides magazine is holding a giveaway in conjunction with the display and they ask you to name your favorite. In the end, after much consideration I decided gallery_11429_1289_581930.jpg

is mine. But it was a very hard choice.

Edited by bloviatrix (log)

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

For me, it's between the pink one with the chocolate dots (VERY much my style) or the one with all the stripes (and the "I do" ribbon). For sheer jaw-dropping factor, the bamboo, all the way.

"I just hate health food"--Julia Child

Jennifer Garner

buttercream pastries

I really loved the Kate Sullivan cake (orange background, light blue flowers), and the pink rose swag. For inventiveness I loved the suitcases, hatbox, etc. piled one on top of the other, with the taxi on top (and the sign saying "just married.") Very sweet.

1-2 pm

Cookie icing

2-3 pm

Kate Sullivan, Lovin' Sullivan

Making and hand-painting gumpaste butterflies and magnolia flowers

3-4 pm

Elisa Strauss, Confetti Cakes

2-D cutout relief gumpaste flowers

4-5 pm

Raven Dennis, Cake Man Raven

Variegated buttercream flowers and swags

5-6 pm

Gail Watson

Decorated sugar flowers and sugar boxes

6-7 pm

Maria McBride, Brides Style Editor

Making placecard holders from sparkling wine cages

I haven't been able to stay for the demos, so it would be nice to hear from those who got a chance to go.

Well, it was quite a busy day for me. I went for about an hour and a half, left, then returned again. I think they did a switcheroo with the schedule. When I arrived, I was pleasantly surprised to see Chef Toba Garrett doing a demonstration on Australian stringwork. I've taken a cake decorating class with her that entailed this type of technique, so took the time instead to photograph cakes. I left then returned again. It appears that there were at least 3 demos going on simultaneously. Carolyn Wanke that did that Taj Mahal looking black and white cake (I remember that she's from Texas and may later have to double check her name) was doing a demonstration on gumpaste flowers. Kerry Vincent was demonstrating how she made some of the types of designs she had on her cake. The same for Kim Payne (her cake was the one that had a pleated table skirt looking botton and what appeared to be butterflies suspended mid-air holding ribbons on the top tier) and Lori Cossou (her lovely blue cake had stringwork which was damaged due to everyone touching the cake despite the "DO NOT TOUCH" signs.) My heart pained for poor Lori. Although she travelled with the cake all the way from Lousiana without any damage, she suffered damage at the hands of people who just could not respect other people's artwork. I know how time consuming that stringwork is. She patiently re-did her strings while we watched on and spoke with her. I'm going to post pics, but I guess I better upload them first. I shall come back and edit this post.

OK... here we are....

Here's Colette Peters

may2005244small4qo.jpg

Kerry Vincent and Toba Garrett

may2005237small2oy.jpg

Chef Toba's Australian stringwork demonstration

may2005243small0qs.jpg

A Close-up of the stringwork

may2005242small2uk.jpg

Kerry Vincent posing alongside her creation...

may2005245small9in.jpg

Carolyn Wanke doing a gumpaste flower demonstration.

may2005366small5cb.jpg

Kim Payne of Wedding Cakes by Kim Payne doing a demonstration (that's Kerry Vincent to her left.. and on the left of Kerry is Carolyn Wenke. This is to give you an idea as to how close the demos were being done within one another.)

may2005367small9ty.jpg

A close up of Kim's demo showing how to do the pleating

may2005376small6lv.jpg

By the way, this is Kim's cake

may2005443small0ig.jpg

Here is Lori Cossou with her lovely cake...

may2005379small9nm.jpg

Enjoy!

Edited by JamericanDiva (log)
Diva

Just to fill in some blanks:

Gebera daisies- Ana Paz

Bonsai- Cake Crumbs

Quilted- me!

I was really upset that they lost/broke my monogram toppers and didn't even think to call me. I made SEVEN of them and brought two to the studio in case one broke. So I had five more sitting at home and could have brought one on Tuesday. With the design being so simple, I think it really needed that monogram on the top. Aside from that and the poor lighting, I think the event was awesome and I hope they have another one next year.

cakesuite- it looks like we missed each other on Tuesday? I was there in the afternoon (got there at 2:45 pm) then came back in the evening for the party.

Just to fill in some blanks:

Gebera daisies- Ana Paz

Bonsai- Cake Crumbs

Quilted- me!

I was really upset that they lost/broke my monogram toppers and didn't even think to call me.  I made SEVEN of them and brought two to the studio in case one broke.  So I had five more sitting at home and could have brought one on Tuesday.  With the design being so simple, I think it really needed that monogram on the top.  Aside from that and the poor lighting, I think the event was awesome and I hope they have another one next year. 

cakesuite- it looks like we missed each other on Tuesday?  I was there in the afternoon (got there at 2:45 pm) then came back in the evening for the party.

I love your cake. You were one of my top three. The others were Cakeline and Martine's.

Beautiful work.

I love your cake. You were one of my top three. The others were Cakeline and Martine's.

Beautiful work.

Thank you! :) Pale blue/aqua is one of my favorite colors. I saw a shirt on the Escada website that was white with pale aqua and khaki argyle and fell in love. I had to make it in cake.

I've been meaning to personally welcome your to The eGullet Society For Arts & Letters LCS...............please forgive me for not saying so earilier.

O.k............I feel embarrassed to have to ask this because I should know who is who, but I don't. I'm sorry, I'm just horrible with names. Would anyone who particpated in this exhibit be willing to reveal what their real name is? No pressure..........just interest.

I've been meaning to personally welcome your to The eGullet Society For Arts & Letters LCS...............please forgive me for not saying so earilier.

O.k............I feel embarrassed to have to ask this because I should know who is who, but I don't. I'm sorry, I'm just horrible with names. Would anyone who particpated in this exhibit be willing to reveal what their real name is? No pressure..........just interest.

On the previous page of this thread there are a lot of the designer’s names listed under the pictures of the cakes... either the designers name or business name. Mine is just listed as "Marina Sousa'... aka Just Cake. There are a few that are just descriptive captions & to be honest I don't remember who's they are either! The event was a bit of a whirlwind! All of the designers names are listed on the Brides website ( http://www.brides.com/cakewalk ) with links to each of our websites. Hope that helps!

I attended the Cakewalk function and the Tuesday evening cocktail party as a guest of LCS.

Such lovely cakes on display (including LCS' cake of course). Such talent, such beauty, such art!

Que fabuloso!

Being the dodo bird that I am, I left my digital camera home though.

Looking at that demonstration above that Toba Garrett did...she's just fabulous with her stringwork. And the flowers on Kerry Vincent's cake were spectacular.