• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Victoria Restaurants

tsquare

Mini-burgers?  Chicken fingers?  Hey, we do have corporate standards to adhere to.

Oh, and we need all the promotion we can get.  ;)  We've been open just over a year, and people who live here are still going, "you work where?" ....

-- Matt.

Sorry Matt,

We will return this summer and I will let you know when so we can experience the finest mini burger and chicken finger plates you have to offer.

The kids have requested to return to the Mariott and Lord knows, they rule.

Neil

Edited by nwyles (log)

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

www.hamiltonstreetgrill.com

Mini-burgers?  Chicken fingers?  Hey, we do have corporate standards to adhere to.

Oh, and we need all the promotion we can get.  ;)  We've been open just over a year, and people who live here are still going, "you work where?" ....

-- Matt.

I've only heard good things about Fire and Water, and it's the restaurant I plan to try the next time I visit Victoria. :smile:

I've only heard good things about Fire and Water, and it's the restaurant I plan to try the next time I visit Victoria.  :smile:

Fire and Water not only has great food - but an excellent bartender (by the name of Jaymes?).

Ríate y el mundo ríe contigo. Ronques y duermes solito.

Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Snore, and you sleep alone.

One of the best-kept secrets of a Victoria Summer is - in my opinion - lunch on the patio at Deep Cove Chalet. Outdoor dining at its best! The garden setting on the water is so peaceful. And the food - country French - is rich and satisfying.

Try to fit in a visit prior to your 1 night in Victoria - or the morning after.

We went for Saturday lunch - country pate, escargots, local rabbit with prunes, veal kidneys in cream sauce... followed by tarte tatin and Pierre's "light" souffle (made to order) with Grand Marnier sauce. WOW!

I've only heard good things about Fire and Water, and it's the restaurant I plan to try the next time I visit Victoria.  :smile:

Fire and Water not only has great food - but an excellent bartender (by the name of Jaymes?).

Jaymes Ewing. Awesom guy. I worked with him at the Ocean Point Resort years ago.

I suggest to anyone coming to Victoria to get to the Rosemeade, quick - before it gets too well-known! Chef Richard Luttman is amazing - how he can mix flavors and presentation. Popped in last night for the spicy "pacific rim" chopped ahi tuna salad, masago, cucumber sorbet, seaweed toast - off the appetizer list. Sweet/picante tuna tartare mixed with masago (smelt-fish roe), sitting on a thinly-sliced cucumber-strip mat. Topped with a ball of cucumber sorbet with a seaweed-flecked melba toast. Was thoroughly enjoyed with a glass of Damasco (think Portuguese vinho verde) from Zanatta winery in the Cowichan Valley.

Noone else in Victoria is doing food like this.

I grew up in Victoria, and have no idea where the English Inn or Lampson street are, so I looked it up on mapquest. It is in Esquimalt.

Are people actually eating here? Admittedly I left in 1991, but at that time there were not a lot of people willing to spend $25-30 on dinner mains (which translates into say $75/person for a 3 course meal + drinks + tax + tip) in Victoria, much less Esquimalt.

To this day I can't believe the Arbutus Grille in Brentwood Bay (where I spent 14 years of my life) is still surviving. It's not a reflection on the food either, but on the available clientelle. And I'm not trying to be a snob; guess I'm just asking if the face of Victoria and surrounding area dining has changed that dramatically. Remember too that there is already established destination competition in Sooke Harbour House and Deep Cove Chalet.

The food does look good, and I wish them the best of luck.

I grew up in Victoria, and have no idea where the English Inn or Lampson street are, so I looked it up on mapquest. It is in Esquimalt.

Are people actually eating here? Admittedly I left in 1991, but at that time there were not a lot of people willing to spend $25-30 on dinner mains (which translates into say $75/person for a 3 course meal + drinks + tax + tip) in Victoria, much less Esquimalt.

To this day I can't believe the Arbutus Grille in Brentwood Bay (where I spent 14 years of my life) is still surviving. It's not a reflection on the food either, but on the available clientelle. And I'm not trying to be a snob; guess I'm just asking if the face of Victoria and surrounding area dining has changed that dramatically. Remember too that there is already established destination competition in Sooke Harbour House and Deep Cove Chalet.

I'm of a similar mindset. Having grown up in downtown Victoria, places like Esquimalt and Brentwood were both viewed as the sticks, with one being closer to the city core ( :laugh: ). For Vancouverites, the distance equivalents would be La Belle Auberge, the Hart House, or the Pear Tree.

Are residents of Oak Bay, for example, really crossing the Johnson Street Bridge to eat, because I find it difficult to believe the majority of Esquimalt residents could give a crap about fine dining. Of course, I'm viewing this development through the skewed prism of a 25 year old (the last time I lived in Vic was 7 years ago), but the prospect of a neighbourhood success for Rosemeade strikes me as far-fetched.

Shelora, Mr. Kendal, Memo, care to fill us in?

Edited by editor@waiterblog (log)

Andrew Morrison

Food Columnist | The Westender

Editor & Publisher | Scout Magazine

Are people actually eating here? Admittedly I left in 1991

Get your ass over here, woman. 1991?!! It's 2005!!!!! You are not going to believe what is going on here.

I can walk to the Rosemeade via the blue bridge in 45 min. to an hour. I would walk to the Rosemeade and will on a beautiful summer day. Start via the Songhees walkway skirting the water until the West Bay Marina and then walk along Esquimalt Road until Lampson and then down Lampson to the wonderful Rosemeade.

With the new condos being built on the Songhees and surrounds, young families moving into Vic west, you have many new diners that don't want to necessarily cross over the bridge into town.

For cheap and cheerful, you have Zap Thai and a Eritrean place called the Blue Nile.

And don't forget Spinnakers, continuing to feed the masses and watering them with fabulous beers for a long time now and such a walkable location for those new condo owners. Brilliant.

Rosemeade in my opinon is the new contender in town. Get in while you can. Dress up. Take a cab. Get thee hence.

S

I'll be in Victoria Sunday night with the wife....we are wondering where to go? I've seen lots of Victoria threads, but there doesn't really seem to be a clear cut choice. We prefer fun, active restaurants such as Chambar & Le Regalade. Thanks for any suggestions!

I posted the Rosemeade suggestion to be on-topic with this thread. I do strongly suggest to anyone coming to Victoria for one night to check it out. Whether it will be successful in the long-term - or whether the locals will support it - is anyone's guess. However, I feel it's a bright light in the Capital's food scene.

Are residents of Oak Bay, for example, really crossing the Johnson Street Bridge to eat, because I find it difficult to believe the majority of Esquimalt residents could give a crap about fine dining. Of course, I'm viewing this development through the skewed prism of a 25 year old (the last time I lived in Vic was 7 years ago), but the prospect of a neighbourhood success for Rosemeade strikes me as far-fetched.

Last Friday night, the Rosemeade dining room did three turns. This is nothing short of miraculous for a dining room of this caliber, number one in Esquimalt and number two for the type of food they are serving. This suggests to me a very subtle but profound change in the dining tastes of the city.

Perhaps its just, let's try the newbie out, but I don't think so. Their price point is comparable to other fine dining establishments - in fact none of their mains are over $29. their wine list is slightly under what other places are charging and no one is doing the type of food they are doing. Guess what, no frittes on the menu either!

They have some of my favourite wines of this week - Damasco from Vignetti Zanatta and Kim Crawford New Zealand Pinot Noir and that sake from Oregon.

The staff is welcoming and knowledgeable about the food and the wine - many of them professionals from rock solid establishments in Vancouver and Toronto. Everyone is trying to get on at the Rosemeade - it's got a buzz. It's hot.

I love the setting. McClure mansion done over in ultra modern, chic tones with hip chill tunes setting the tone. You are totally surrounding by huge oak trees and gardens - you could be anywhere, but you are in Esquimalt.

It's so fantastic. :wub:

Edited by shelora (log)

Get your ass over here, woman.

I'm not sure if this is meant to be drill-sargeant abusive (Okay ladies, yer all gonna drop and give me 20!) or a nod to my girlish figure. If the latter, should I take that as a compliment?

Gender confusion aside... :rolleyes:

Yes I've not lived in Victoria for 14 years, but I have been back the odd time or two. I've seen and been impressed by some of the development in Esquimalt, had brunch at some "new" waterfront place a couple of times, but I tell you under that facelift it still seems like the same old naval port it was when I left. Again, I'm not disputing that there is good food there, I'm wondering who is eating it on a regular, business-supportive basis.

Three turns at a place in Esquimalt is indeed what I would call miraculous. What happens on a Tuesday? Or does it matter? Does weekend revenue = entire week revenue?

Just curious. Like Memo said, in the spirit of the thread, I can definitely see this as a "1 night in Victoria" stop. But from your accounts, Shelora, maybe sleepy olde Victoria is shedding some of her granny-ish image, and the benefits are spreading towards even the quietest of burbs. I hope so.

Cheers,

Brian :wink:

I'm not sure if this is meant to be drill-sargeant abusive (Okay ladies, yer all gonna drop and give me 20!) or a nod to my girlish figure. If the latter, should I take that as a compliment?

Gender confusion aside...  Cheers,

Brian 

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Oh, oops. So sorry Brian, I think it was those plump tomatoes or what is that - a plump chile - that threw me off.

And I like the sounds of that drill sergeant motif - I may have to try that out this weekend with Mr. Shelora.

Hey, am I off topic? Oh dear.

Edited by shelora (log)

I'm of a similar mindset. Having grown up in downtown Victoria, places like Esquimalt and Brentwood were both viewed as the sticks, with one being closer to the city core ( :laugh: ). For Vancouverites, the distance equivalents would be La Belle Auberge, the Hart House, or the Pear Tree.

Shelora, Mr. Kendal, Memo, care to fill us in?

Anyway ever notice the real estate being built on the west side of the blue bridge?

In a nut shell, the condos, lofts and penthouses being built over this way make any potential higher end eatery very appealing. The Rosemeade has excellent prices which, from a managmenet perspective, would not be able to keep budget and acheive a sustainable gross operating profit. That said, they are building market share and have potentialy excellent exposure. Just need to see where they are at in the next year or two as they are new and could be subject to turn over etc.

A couple of weeks ago I rode my bike around the neighborhoods in esquilmalt looking for a house to buy. There is some very nice property on the south side of Craigflower road.

However, I can't seem to stop going to Brasserie L'Ecole. The prices are highly conducive to repeat business and over consumption of steak frites.

Edited by James Kendal (log)

• 1 month later...

My husband and I will be spending 3 nights in Victoria to celebrate our Anniversary. I need your help in selecting the 3 restaurants for us to visit. We want to celebrate with outstanding dining & wine. Some of the places I have on my list are: Rosemeade, Cafe Brio, Fire and Water, Lure, and Temple.

I am also torn between staying at the Ambrosia B&B, the Empress or the Delta Victoria Ocean Pointe. I have not been to Victoria in many years so I am not sure where the Ambrosia or Ocean Pointe are located in relation to the Empress. We will not have a car so I would like the location to be convenient. Does one stand out for romance?

Any suggestions or advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much!

Sounds like you've got the right restaurants (I still haven't made it over to check out Rosemeade or Lure but I trust Shelora!). Fire and Water chef Jeff Keenliside (and our own Matt R.) have left for the Oak Bay Beach Hotel, so that's definitely an option, too.

Personally, I'd skip the hotels and try Isabella's (My wife and I love it). It's very private, very central, and the breakfasts at the bakery are always inventive. Wild Saffron is just a block away, and Il Terrazzo (rather romantic Italian) is right next to your suite (the wafting aromas of balsamic and foccaccia!).

Also, make sure you get an ice cream from the Beacon Hill Drive-In on Douglas (a block from the ocean) and then go for a stroll through the park.

Best of luck, Bon Appetit, and Bon Romance!

Edited by editor@waiterblog (log)

Andrew Morrison

Food Columnist | The Westender

Editor & Publisher | Scout Magazine

Of those hotels, I've stayed only at the Empress, but it's undergone some heavy-duty renovations in recent years, and it's looking lovely. If you join the Fairmont Hotels President's Club, you may find that you get a juicy extra or two (room upgrade perhaps). I have friends who went to the Ocean Pointe and enjoyed their stay, as well...Delta Hotels also has a frequent guest program, new membership in which may be to your benefit.

Both of these hotels have spas attached, which may also sway your decision.

Have a lovely time!

Agenda-free since 1966.

Foodblog: Power, Convection and Lies

My husband and I will be spending 3 nights  in Victoria to celebrate our Anniversary.  I need your help in selecting the 3 restaurants for us to visit.

Hi, cookingclassjunkie.

When are you visiting Victoria? Sounds like you might be arriving via Clipper. Any particular foods/cuisine you enjoy most? Another addition to your three-night list I'd add is Brasserie l'ecole on Government Street. A word of warning: if you're going to be in Victoria over a Sunday/Monday - many restaurants make these their closing days. Cafe Brio and Rosemeade are open these nights, and likely any hotel (eg. Lure) restaurants.

Memo

To no one's surprise I am sure, I would second Memo's recommendation of Brasserie L'Ecole. Top notch dining if like French bistro fare, good friendlyservice and an excellent wine program....[hey Marc Morrison quit "lurking" and join the rest of the eGulleteers [grin]]

We have stayed in the Ocean Pointe the past several visits. You inquired where it is in relation to the Empress. I am no good with "north-south-east-west" directions but if you were on the steps of the Empress facing the inner harbour and looked off to the right you would seen the Ocean Pointe just across the Johnson Street [blue] Bridge.

If you can, get a full harbour view. Great stuff so long as you do not mind getting "buzzed" by the seaplance traffick.

It is in close proximity to Chinatown, Bastion Square. shopping and restaurants [il Terrazzo, Don Mee's, Canoe Club, Wild Saffron, Brasserie L'Ecole, Herald Street Cafe, etc.].

There is a water taxi stop immediately in front of it should you want to bob along the inner harbour or up the Gorge waterway.

You would be right on one of the walkways that borders the inner harbour and an nice stroll past the condos to a pub like Spinnakers.

Is Don Mee the best place for Dim Sum?

Don Mee is certainly adequate - and since you'll be on foot, I'd go with that.

For the best dim sum in Victoria, I'd recommend the Jade Fountain - but it's a ways up Douglas Street at the Red Lion Inn.

Memo

Ha ha, once again let me chime in about dim sum in Victoria with the usual disclaimer that my relatives own / operate Don Mee. I personally think it is the best dim sum in the city, not based on family but on the fact that I have eaten at most or all of the dim sum places in Victoria including the place by the Red Lion.

Jade Fountain enjoyed some buzz when it opened (my Mom (of Don Mee) was even extolling it) so we went over Xmas. Based on my one visit, I found most of the items to be greasy - and it didn't matter if they were fried or steamed items. But the worst part was the manager, who seemed to have graduated from the School of the Hard Sell.

Manager walks over with a platter of fried squid. "You must have some of this squid, it is the best! Here, let me put a couple plates on your table. No? You don't want them? But you must!"

Five minutes later, manager walks over with a platter of chow mein. "You must have some of this chow mein, it is the best! Here, let me put a plate on your table. No? You don't want it? But you must!"

Repeating in my head: Please fuck off.

In all seriousness, for quality consistency alone I would recommend Don Mee. The staff is pretty good too. If you see a 5'7" Chinese fellow with a deep tan named Stephen running the front of house, tell him Brian his "nephew" from Vancouver sent you - you may or may not get anything out of it. :raz:

Repeating in my head: Please fuck off.

Too funny...getting curious glances from co-workers walking past my office no doubt wondering if the "old fart" has finally lost it given the laughter.....

a kindred spirit when it comes to humour

Hi CCJ,

sounds like you are all set to experience the best of Victoria for dinner per everyone else's suggestions. But what about lunch? A few places I like are Kim's Vietnamese (748 Johnston St), uninspired decor, but fresh and very tasty offerings. Try the deep fried tofu, it is uncomplicated but sublime. Or if you like Thai, try Sook Jai Thai on Fort street - always yummy and they have lunch combos.

another thing you'll need to know is where to get good coffee! caffe fantastico is your best bet. A nice thing to do is go to their cook st village location (McKenzie st, I believe), they are in a little food court on a side street off Cook. Get yourself a fabulous coffee and go for a stroll along Dallas road. Don't be strayed by the duelling Starbucks and Moka House on the way there! Stay the course to Fantastico. Hope you enjoy your getaway!

I would suggest you stay at Ambrosia - it is one of the most romantic modern B&B's in Victoria and is within walking distance of the inner harbour. They serve the only four-course breakfast in Victoria and the Zen suite is amazing!

For dinner my two choices would be Rosemead and Paprika. The experience at Rosemead is second to none in Victoria in terms of food and presentation. The service is still not as polished as it could be and be prepared to bring out the platinum card (which you don't often need to do in Victoria). Paprika on the other hand is almost the complete opposite of Rosemead with a small simple room that is unassuming. However the food will blow you away. I would suggest you call ahead and leave yourself in the hands of George for the evening. His dishes are locally inspired and his talent for matching flavors is exceptional.

I hope you enjoy your trip!

Cheers,

Eric