• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Victoria Restaurants

tsquare

I'll be in Victoria Sunday night with the wife....we are wondering where to go? I've seen lots of Victoria threads, but there doesn't really seem to be a clear cut choice. We prefer fun, active restaurants such as Chambar & Le Regalade. Thanks for any suggestions!

If that's what you like then there are only two that I can think of that are comparable.

Brasserie L'Ecole

Temple

Have fun and say hi for me. :biggrin:

Ah, but it's Sunday. Neither of them are open, dude... :angry: Trying to convince a Victoria restaurant to open on Sunday is like trying to get an elephant to hang off a cliff with it's tail wrapped around a daisy (I think I've said that before).

Edited by editor@waiterblog (log)

Andrew Morrison

Food Columnist | The Westender

Editor & Publisher | Scout Magazine

I don't know about "fun", although it's a great place to work, but Fire & Water a the Victoria Marriott is one of the best places to eat in Victoria. Simple french cuisine, following the "regional/seasonal" mantra and well executed.

Our chef is top notch, and the new spring menu is very nice. Great place for steaks, but the composed plates are where it's at.

Disclaimer: I am a night cook at the restaurant. If you come in on Sunday, more than likely I will be the one cooking your food. :)

-- Matt.

The Noodle Box...not much eat in action, it's primarily takeout, at least at the Fisgard location. But if you are looking for a meal on a Sunday night, it's good food, cheap and there are two locations. One on Fisgard and one closer to the Parliament Buildings somewhere.

Don't try to win over the haters. You're not the jackass whisperer."

Scott Stratten

Cafe Brio on Fort St. should be open on Sunday and that is where I would head given that Brasserie L'Ecole is closed.

It is usually quite lively and the owners are quite the hosts...Greg knows his wine and his "better half"...oh, to have half her energy!

Temple? I don't know Andrew. Perhaps I should give them another try because I sure was not impressed the time we went. To paraphrase another poster Paul Mitchell..."what is with the F*&^#@ bed!" [smile] I can see late nite drinks as it kicks into its "supper club" personality but to eat?..hmmmmm

I was going to suggest Zambri's (read about it originally on this board). Went there a few weeks ago while at a planning conference and everyone in our group of five had a most enjoyable meal at a very reasonable price.

Just checked though and it's closed Sundays too. Definitely one to try on another visit in my opinion.

Temple? I don't know Andrew. Perhaps I should give them another try because I sure was not impressed the time we went. To paraphrase another poster Paul Mitchell..."what is with the F*&^#@ bed!" [smile] I can see late nite drinks as it kicks into its "supper club" personality but to eat?..hmmmmm

Waylman asked for a Victorian equivalent of places like Chambar and La Regalade.

Brasserie is an obvious choice, and Temple does do great food. Pity about Sunday, though. Brio is good, too. If you get the chance to have brunchj or lunch, try out Mo:le on Pandora by Market Square.

Hadn't considered Fire and Water, Matt. Good idea, disclosure and all. :wink:

Andrew Morrison

Food Columnist | The Westender

Editor & Publisher | Scout Magazine

I suggest going to the latest contender, Rosemeade.

Take a cab to this new swankly renovated McClure mansion in sunny Esquimalt. Not much is really lively on a Sunday night in Victoria I'm afraid.

Rosemeade has a great wine selection with a good focus on B.C. and fun surprises like the Oregon sake by the glass. The food is remarkable.

Richard Luttman - chef Mark Wachtin - dining room manager.

The kitchen is drop dead gorgeous and they will have a chef's table soon. Hey maybe when you are in Victoria. Give them a call.

Appetizers - Whaletown bay oysters with a champagne & shiso leaf ice

- Digby scallops topped with bone marrow - given a slight torching on the top - served over dandelion greens, fennel & vermouth puree, veal jus

- chilled rare lamb loin, arugula gelee, artichoke salad, white anchovy dressing.

Mains

- 6 hour braised veal cheeks (in Pinot Noir), grilled spring asparagus, creamed cauliflower, red wine froth

- butter poached halibut, lobster (big chunks) whipped yukon golds, shellfish reduction

Wine pairing with each course. Great fabulous interior. Swank bar for appetizers and the most amazing fireplace - looks like its floating.

Price point is comparable to other restaurants in the city. Mains $24 to $29. salads and appetizers, $8 to $15.

Rosemeade dining room at the English Inn, 429 Lampson, 250-388-4353 toll free 1-866-388-4353

Edited by shelora (log)

sorry to go off topic here, but I need to book a room also! What are some nice places to stay? I haven't been to Victoria in about 10 years so I'm really out of the loop! I've been looking at these........

http://www.fairmont.com/FA/en/CDA/Home/Sec...75%2C%2C00.html

http://marriott.com/property/propertypage/YYJMC

http://www.dominion-hotel.com/index.html

http://www.laurelpoint.com/#

Edited by waylman (log)

sorry to go off topic here, but I need to book a room also! What are some nice places to stay? I haven't been to Victoria in about 10 years so I'm really out of the loop! I've been looking at these........

http://www.fairmont.com/FA/en/CDA/Home/Sec...75%2C%2C00.html

http://marriott.com/property/propertypage/YYJMC

http://www.dominion-hotel.com/index.html

http://www.laurelpoint.com/#

Here is my two cents worth...

For dining I would go to Paprika for dinner (if it is open, the website does not say what their hours are) and for a place to stay I would recommend a great B&B just off the Inner Harbour called Ambrosia. Victoria's only 5 star B&B which serves four course breakfasts and has fantastic rooms.

Enjoy your stay!

Cheers,

Eric

PS. If you end up wanting to go to the Marriott, give me a call as I may be able to help you out. And if Paprika is closed I would second Shelora's recommendation.

You might want to pass on the Dominion. There are many small B & B's around the downtown area, as well that could be worthy.

The Magnolia Hotel on Courtney St., downtown, might fit the bill. Great room amenities. A boutique-ish hotel.

Sorry don't have the contact info here right now - the bubblebath awaits!

Swan's Hotel closer to Chinatown just did a major room reno, very comfy, good on site brews, again centrally located.

I like the looks of the Marriott rooms. Ask for something away from the construction going on on the one side, which will start enthusiastically on a Monday morning.

Laurel Point - kinda of out of the loop

Fairmont - its a historic building with great views of the harbour

The Delta Victoria Ocean Point Resort and Spa - whew!, I've been practicing that! - across the Blue Bridge, just opened up their million dollar new restaurant Lure. Looks very promising.

Any room at the Point with a peaceful harbour view would be ideal. Good energy there right now, with the new restaurant and all.

Over and out.

Shelora

ah Shelora you have made my evening....nice to hear that the new inner harbour side restaurant at the Ocean Pointe has opened...I had my doubts when we last visited in February.

we'll be there for a couple of days at the beginning of July after some time with Tofino/Chris at the Wick...we are so looking forward to getting back to the coast.

I really enjoy The Canoe Club restaurant and brew pub. Aussi inspired cuisine with great in house made beers and a stellar wine list (the best I've ever seen in a brew pub). Hugo's is also interesting. The Picasso for decent French food and service is recommended.

Stephen

"who needs a wine list when you can get pissed on dessert" Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares 2005

MY BLOG

Back from my trip...

We stayed at Ambrosia B&B which was fantastic. HIGHLY recommended!

http://www.ambrosiavictoria.com/

Lunch was at the Canoe Club:

Very good Pale Ale. We had calamari and a margharita pizza which were both very tasty.

For dinner we went to Cafe Brio:

http://www.cafe-brio.com

Dinner was great. The room was very lively for a Sunday night...I would certainly go back. Our appetizer was Tartare of Albacore Tuna. For dinner, I had tagliatelle with braised rabbit leg and my wife had Potato Gnocchi with morels & fiddlehead ferns. We both loved our food. They have a great wine list as well.

eGullet came through big time! Thanks for all the great suggestions!

Just back from a management retreat in Sooke (we did most of our own cooking having our chef with us), but snuck in to Victoria for a great dinner at J&J Noodle House on Fort about a block past Cafe Brio if heading from downtown. Don't go expecting anything more than a basic restaurant with really good food. Service was crazy quick, food tasted amazing (beef hot pot was the favorite). Very upset we didn't get a chance to try the Tuna Shack in East Sooke as we were only 2 miles away - ughhhhh. Bob, when are you back in town???

Just back from a management retreat in Sooke (we did most of our own cooking having our chef with us), but snuck in to Victoria for a great dinner at J&J Noodle House on Fort about a block past Cafe Brio if heading from downtown.  Don't go expecting anything more than a basic restaurant with really good food.  Service was crazy quick, food tasted amazing (beef hot pot was the favorite).

J&J is a great place! Chef Joseph Wong makes all his own noodles in-house. In future, I recommend you order "General Chau's Chicken" - sauteed chicken pieces coated in a dark, molasses-like caramelized-sugar/soy coating. His flash-fried long green beans are exceptional, too - with their blistered skin, topped with crispy garlic slices.

Ríate y el mundo ríe contigo. Ronques y duermes solito.

Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Snore, and you sleep alone.

We were there a few weeks ago. Pickin's were slim on Sunday night.

The Keg or Milestones

hey Matt, glad to see you put a disclaimer on your promotion.. lol

We stayed at the Mariott but with the little ones, I did not want to subject the restaurant to the rants of a plain cheeseburger and chicken fingers !

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

www.hamiltonstreetgrill.com

Mini-burgers? Chicken fingers? Hey, we do have corporate standards to adhere to.

Oh, and we need all the promotion we can get. ;) We've been open just over a year, and people who live here are still going, "you work where?" ....

-- Matt.

Bob, when are you back in town???

Tofino/Chris:

I think that that question was directed my way...mind you, if that is the case, maybe I should have left the "uggghhhh" in.

We arrive early in the afternoon of Wednesday the 29th of June via SonicBlue from Vancouver and depart for Victoria via Craig Air late afternoon/early evening of the July 1st.

Short visit but we are looking very much forward to it. Now just a matter of weeks away.

Kudos to the Wick's reservation department. I thought that we would have had to abandon our plans when SonicBlue cancelled their Victoria link but they put Craig Air in contact with us when they got up and running...err flying...a couple of weeks later.

I can see and hear the breakers crashing into Chesterman already....