• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Victoria Restaurants

tsquare

Just returned from a *fantastic* trip to Victoria. It proved to be a great escape to the traditional US thanksgiving...and great weather (save one day) to boot! I found the city to be very accessible to my Portland-mindset; Coffee shops, quality wine, local and/or organic ingrediants and Asian food galore!

Here's a summary of our eats:

Zambri's: Wednesday night. Most gracious service. The highlight was the tuna and bean soup. Large chunks of moist tuna steak, large white beans, spinach and subtle seasoning. Hearty enough to take the bite off of the cold weather. The Mussles app was good - not great - as were our entrees (Crab Ragu and Clam/ Mint Penne.) The wine selection had many an affordable option, and the dessert menu was limited but broad. 2 apps, 2 entrees, 1 dessert, coffee, 1/2 liter wine, tax and tip = $90 Canadian. We will certainly return.

Moka House: Nice enough place, decent coffee. Nothing to rave about.

Don Mee Seafood Restaurant: My favorite. We went here for Thanksgiving (we were thinking of the Chinese meal had by the family in "A Christmas Story.") Shrimp Wonton Soup, Szechwan Prawns, Szechwan Pork Spare Ribs and Shrimp Chow Mein. The latter was a bit dry, but the bay shrimp were fresher than I've ever had. Same goes for the Szechwan Prawns - I can't recall ever having any with as much crunch. The spare ribs reminded me of General Tso's Chicken done right: fried but not greasy, sweet but not overwhelmingly so. This with a 1/2 liter of wine (tax and tip) came to C $60.

Otovio's (Octovios?): Beautiful Italian deli/coffee shop in Oak Bay. Quite a site! Reminded me of something I'd find in Boston's North End, only pricier. Great ham and cheese panini, wonderful mocha's done the right way (unsweetened chocolate powder. You add the sugar to taste.) The gelato selection was diverse, the cheese selection extensive. Lots of nice looking pastry's and such. They were advertising a chestnut roasting celebration that evening. Wish I could have joined!

Tapa Bar: We had four mojitos (mmmm...) and two Cubanette Sandwiches (one pork, one chicken.) The sandwich bread was too thick and tasted old, but the meat, avocados, pico de gallo, beans and cheese were all tasty. We split a nice Cocca Creme Brule. Good for bar food. We weren't famished having eaten at Otovio's not long before else we'd have tried more of the tapas. Total cost: C $40.

Coffee house near "Opus Framing" on store street. Orange lighting, modern feel...help me out here.... We liked this place. Upbeat staff, warm atmosphere, good lighting. Very hip, right down to the indie-rock quietly sifting through the speakers.

J and J noodle House: Sorry, but we were not too impressed. The apps were great - scallion pancake and shrimp wonton. The entrees - JJ Wor Wonton Soup (shrimp) and Sizzling Shrimp Satay Plate - were not impressive. The flavors seemed muddled, confused and even bland. The soup was tasteless, complete with semi-frozen veggies. The sizzling shrimp seemed confused: too much curry, a splash of processed peanut butter and some sesame oil to top it off. It was a Saturday night, but we went early....I felt rushed (they was a line out the door by the time we were ushered out) and didn't feel as if it lived up to the C $50 price (we had no wine or dessert.) Maybe it was an off night?

A fantastic trip, despite the last meal. We can't wait to return and try Cafe L'ecole, Cafe Brio, Bistro Paprika....So much to eat, so little time!

Thanks for any/all help!

Rachael

• 4 months later...

We are heading out to Victoria for an extended long week-end on Thursday and need an update as to what is happening in the area vis-a-vis food and wine.

We were last out on the island in late October.

We have made reservations for our first nite at Brasserie l'Ecole which was our "find" of the last visit.

We enjoyed Zambri's and were disappointed in Il Terrazzo.

Past favourites have been Camille's, Cafe Brio, Herald Street Cafe, Pescatore's, Spinnaker's.

We are not intending to rent a car this trip so the Sooke Harbour House and the Aerie are not in our current plans.

Any other recommendations?

What about Temple? We would eat early as I am not interested in the supper club concept once the week-end dj arrives.

Not intending to rent a car this trip Steve so will not likely be able to get down toward Duncan...we'll see come Sunday morning.

The spring releases have been coming fast and furious of late. Obtained striped label pinot gris and regular label pinot noir from Blue Mountain, syrah from Burrowing Owl and just ordered the 2002 Note Bene from Black Hills.

There are a couple of wineries in the Saanich area that we might head out to if can utilize public transit.

Otherwise the Cook Street VQA store might be the closest we get to an island winery tour :rolleyes:

I have to get to the liquor store myself and begin trying some of the Island wines and begin gathering my inventory, many of the wines sell out on speck, they do not even make it to the liquor store, so the only way to taste is privately or through a restaurant.

stovetop

Cook To Live; Live To Cook

Merlin:

I heard somewhere that Cafe Brio is starting up some sort of charcuterie menu (including house made sausage and pates) for the spring - myself and my chef are going down on a whirlwind couple of days in Vic as well on the 24th so any heads up on your visit would be appreciated - I've been out in the woods around my house on the island picking fiddleheads in the last week so I'm sure you might find some good ones in Victoria - maybe even some new morrels if your lucky.

Oh, please go to Temple! We're going to be up in Victoria in Oct and I'm trying to figure out if Temple is worth a visit. Please, please, please be my guinea pig! :wub:

I heard somewhere that Cafe Brio is starting up some sort of charcuterie menu (including house made sausage and pates) for the spring - myself and my chef are going down on a whirlwind couple of days in Vic as well on the 24th so any heads up on your visit would be appreciated

Paul:

Well we have reservations [assuming the snow relents here and we get out as planned tomorrow a.m.] for Brasserie l'Ecole tomorrow, the Temple for Friday and Cafe Brio for Saturday so we are off to a culinary good start so to speak.

Fresh morels...yummmm...spring asparagus, sauteed morels...fiddleheads with maple syrup [my Quebec and Maritime roots or racines showing]...looking forward to "getting out of Dodge" and enjoying some days on the Island.

Thank g-d you've got some good old Vancouver Island weather for your Victoria trip Merlin - I am sure you would have moved here if you had seen the sunny temp's we'd had for the last couple of weeks - now were back to good old rain - I'd be interested to see your take on Temple - I've been by it a couple of times but it just looked like 'the place to be' - but I'd love to sway my chef on our visit down there - he's the ex sous chef at the Aerie and has definite ideas of what he wants to go, eat and drink - again, any review would be appreciated.

Hest, if you are keen on visiting Temple you should maybe try to get there before October. There's a possibility the chef may be moving away some time this year.

I'm not going to starve myself to death just so I can live longer.

To all egulleters but principally Paul Mitchell and Hest88:

Flew back last evening after 4 wonderful days in sunny and rainless [despite the interent weather forecasts to the contrary] Victoria. We had a terrific time of wining and dining.

We arrived early on Thursday and did some walking around town. We stopped in at the Tapas Bar and had some decent food. Nothing "out of this world" but solid. Excellent, friendly service [something we found at each of the spots we visited...no "attitude" at all].

That nite we renewed acquaintances with the staff at Brasserie l'Ecole. I really do like this place.

My wife had a cold appetizer consisting of asparagus, beets and goat cheese and she commented that that was the sweetness more tasy asparagus she had ever had. Being a true Albertan she opted for the steak frites, a nice striploin served over a mound of braised escarole and frites with some lemon dijon aioli. It too she remarked was very good.

I love duck confit and had it served over some nice greens as my appetizer and then had one of the fish features. My wife observed that they had finally named a fish after me [and this was before my multi-bottle of wine antics later in the trip]. It was an "Idiot Fish" roasted and tasting like a cross between a rockfish and halibut.

We finished with their cheese plate. An excellent meal and evening.

The next day we ventured out and did a lot of walking stopping at the Coast Inn's Blue Crab. Outstanding view of the marina, nice set up and good service. The food was good but nothng outstanding.

That nite we did go to Temple. Yikes, I wanted to like the place as I respect people who try to be different but this just did work for us.

It was like "Raiders of the Lost Ark visit IKEA".

All those cool clean lines, stone tiled floor, long white/cream banquette, clean wooden table tops, modernistic chairs and bar and set off against the huge stone fireplace and bed at one end.

I liked the music. I think Paul said earlier something to the effect of trying to be too cool. It may be a great place, especially if you are in the "industry" to be seen and "cocktail" but for people dining especially early...nope.

There was a larger party in what I think was formerly their Moroccan room. They were having a good time but the noise was really loud resounding off all those stark surfaces. To be fair as the evening progressed and the light outside dimmed, the candles inset into the fireplace gave a warmer glow to the place but it was still very loud.

The main courses featured roasted Grey Cod, Rockfish,roasted rack of lamb, crusted halibut, roasted squab as well as a set vegetarian and regular fixed price menu at about $35 and $55 respectively for the latter.

We both thought we would stick with the appetizers as that often can show you what the chef wants to do. We ordered the salted edamane beans with fresh mint and lime, the Ragley Farm Salad, the Grilled Squid, Kim Chi salad with cabbage and shrimp filled steamed bun, the Tortellini filled with shitake mushrooms and shallots, the seared Albacore tuna on a picked beet, baby herb salad with edamane ice cream and the braised pork belly.

I could be a "smart ass" and say that the edamane beans were the best of the lot. It was better than than overall. The beans were simple and good.

My grilled squid was interesting. Thicker pieces of squid than I had expected but still soft. The kim chee was not as piquant as I would have hoped. The shimp steamed bun with a little hoisin like sauce was delicious. All very attractively plated with friendly good service. She obviously liked to serve wine and was quite helpful as we had ordered another "wierd" bottle :blink: from Venturi-Schultze that we had not had before.

My wife had the single large tortellini served in a delicate broth. Not much to say about it. Looked good but did not particulary impress her, good or bad.

My piece of albacore tuna was ok, the ice cream was interesting.

The best was the pork belly. Nice flavour throughout.

Would I go back? Yes, I would because I think there is something here although apart from the big group it was not very busy and this was in prime time on a Saturday nite.

Would my wife go back? Definitely not. Very unimpressed.

Paul/Hest88...work in progress? Perhaps but they have been open for over a year now and I think something will have to change. As said above, apart from the "Supper Club Crowd" and the people out to be seen did not seem to be attracting a lot of paying clientele. I guess time will tell.

We ended up back sitting at the bar at Brasserie l'Ecole for their cheese and more wine rather than staying for dessert.

Did have two very good suppers on the following evenings at Cafe Brio. I would head back there for sure.

Lunch at Canoe...mixed results.

I have gone on at too much length already.

Cheers

Paul, I will be interested in hearing what you and your chef think after your whirlwind tour.

Thanks so much Merlin! We may end up trying it, but it sounds like we should definitely go to the much lauded Cafe Brio. We're staying at Sooke Harbour House and will probably end up having at least two dinners there, but naturally want to break that up (for our pocketbooks if for nothing else!).

I went to temple about 6 months ago and had an above average dinner. I'm not sure if the same chef is still there(ex-sous from sooke habour house). I did find the food the be enjoyable. The service was okay except for a few things that my wife and I still joke about like " I don't really know that much about wine." A funny comment coming from someone who sells wine for a living. I had a look around and found that the kitchen is tiny. The MOD saw me looking into the kitchen and chatted me up for a bit, apparently the owners are non-industry people that wouldn't listen to the chef about kitchen size but managed to find room for an ornimental bed and a huge wine cellar. Overall we had fun and laughed but my money would still be cafe brio, Zambri's or Brassier L'ecole

Spazzley:

All in all I agree with your assessment [although my wife would not be as "charitable"] of Temple but in particular with your conclusion. Those 3 but in particular Cafe Brio and Brasserie l'Ecole would be my preferences.

The kitchen is run by the same person you mentioned. I do not know if he was there or not the nite we were there.

A number of people have commented favourably about his skills. They [ownership and kitchen] need to do something about the concept or prices or combination of both given the lack of patrons on what was admittedly a terrific Fridayy evening when others may have been enjoying the weather rather than food. I say that because when we elected to head back to Brasserie l'Ecole to end our evening with their cheese selection it was "jumping".

The ornamental bed still cracks me up.

Great info and review Merlin - I'll be eating at Brassiere L'Ecole on Sunday and then Cafe Brio on Monday - were also going to go peek in the windows and maybe get some grub if they're rolling at the Brentwood Bay Lodge - I have had plenty of dinners when Brock WIndsor cheffed at the Bearfoot Bistro in Whistler and am interested to check out his new gig - after Victoria we'll be heading to Tofino as work is finally calling at our resort - though we'll have a dinner at the Wickaninish and with the Shelter crew - thanks again.

Paul Mitchell:

I think I should know this but was not sure which resort you were at.

I met the current mgr. of Shelter at Brasserie L'Ecole on Thursday nite along with the general mgr. of Shelter. Both nice people.

I hope to get to Shelter our next trip out to Tofino. Unfortunately that will not be until after Thanksgiving in October.

Any dinner trips to your place? We'll be renting a house on Chesterman so cannot do an overnite unless you accept a couple of very friendly golden retrievers <smile>.

Merlin:

I work at Clayoquot Wilderness Resorts which is 30 minutes from Tofino by boat - you can take a look at us at www.wildretreat.com - we offer a "dinner cruise" in which we pick you up in Tofino and you come and have dinner at our floating resort and then we boat you back to Tofino later in the evening - we also do a lavish dinner with a band in our authentic first nations longhouse each week - you can also come out for a spa day and lunch - I presume you had met Jay (from Shelter) - if you want any further information you can always e-mail me.

Paul

Just checked it out stovetop and looks like an interesting spot. It's funny that I had never heard about that resort. I thought I had the island cased.

And to Merlin, thanks for the heads up on L'ecole being closed on Sunday. We're going to stop in Cowichan Bay and do a couple wineries and then dinner at the Masthead. Seems my chef has ex-aerie co-workers that have taken the place on. I checked out their menu and it looks interesting.