• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

research lab in home

akwa

I haven't much to input but my first thought was, have you talked to the health inspector? Here in BC, dual kitchens aren't allowed. You have to have a completely separate kitchen that can be entered directly from outside as they don't have the authority to come in to your home to inspect a kitchen.

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

Err... what sort of research capability are you interested in? What areas and what questions are you wanting answered?

At the very least you will want an accurate balance and accurate volumetric glassware.

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

VWR International and Fisher Scientific are good places to start. Make sure you work out contract pricing.

Those two places are middlemen with amazingly vast scientific product arrays for purchase.

Bellco and Corning are two manufacturers that sell directly, also.

If you've any questions, you can PM me directly, as I'm already working in research at a Major University Near You. (figuratively near)

Edited by jsolomon (log)

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

2 to 30 guests service three times daily

This is more the part I thought might concern the health inspector.

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

Oh! Don't forget the bunsen and meeker burners to do some of your cooking over. It's just not a lab without those industro-scientific thingies...

sorry so terse chefette

i am typing with one hand

as loulou demands at least one hand at all times

re health

the guests will be guests not paying

is there still any code requirement?

It's hard to say. I know here I'm not even allowed to bake cookies in my home to give to the local Union Gospel Mission. They are only allowed to accept food from approved sources. I really would suggest talking to your health inspector just to check. When you call he has no idea where you live so it's just for your info and it's up to you what you do with it. It would just be a shame to go to all this work and get the plug pulled.

one of those commercial dw that washes in 2 minutes, you can get small home size, they even fit undercounter, but they cost a bundle ($2-3K when I last inquired).

alternative would be getting 2 regular home dw's, actually more and more people (civilians) do that anyway, those who have frequent guests/entertain. People have been known to use them as cabinet space... (dishes in one are clean, dishes in the other are dirty, you just go back and forth between :blink: )

oh, yes, of course one of those newer induction cooktops as in the paper this week. I actually have a single-hob induction plug-in countertop model I use for demos. Works great, fast, clean, and much much less expensive than those mentioned in the paper...

I like to cook with wine. Sometimes I even add it to the food.

set up like a cooking school kitchen

seperate fridge and freezer with no shelves - sheet pan slots

double convection oven (pro) with steam

make sure super duper electrical power supply and outlets

double stovetops (gas)

double sinks

double dishwashers

speed rack

at least 50 sheet trays (half sheet/full sheet)

someone to hold loulou (baby? pet? or perhaps we don't want to know? :wink::laugh: )

good overhead lighting

mobile mirror for overhead viewing? (those plastic sheet stretched on frame) that can be tilted

voice recorder (perhaps on killer laptop)

digital camera

video camera

tripod

good lighting for photography

good laptop (powerbook) with connector for camera/video

good software setup - maybe Filemaker Pro?

digital scale(s)

1000 metal bowls :laugh:

all the hand tools

immersion blenders with removeable ends (several extra)

blenders, food processors

Secretary/asssitant

1000 plastic stackable containers - tiny to big (with covers (square or rectanglular)

stand mixer (probably need 3)

espresso machine

flexipans

mobile burners

chocolate warmer or tempering machine

torches (micro and regular)

isi profi whippers

portable mobile room air conditioner and dehumidifier

ice cream freezer plain and the cool one (blanking out right now)

silpats (dozens)

sugar cabinet

sugar fan

scisors

xacto knives

1000 paring knives :laugh:

cutting boards

markers (at least 1000)

tape

industrial rolls of plastic

fire extinguisher

release forms for visitors to sign that they visit at their own risk and death, dismemberment, 3rd degree burns or stomach ailments are not your fault

sturdy work tables

extra bathroom

industrial washing machine

binders with plastic sleves and lots of paper

color printer

copying machine

voice mail

web site

delivery service

rubber matting

hose

super disposals

plastic sheeting

paint sprayer (not the wagner - the good one with fine mist)

air brush and pump

shelves - lots of shelves

easy clean paint

etc...

You forgot to mention duct tape!

I really would suggest talking to your health inspector just to check. When you call he has no idea where you live so it's just for your info and it's up to you what you do with it.

For what akwa is probably doing, no, don't think that necessary. Doesn't sound like he's charging/selling. And it's his home. Research and recipe testers I know don't need commercial approved kitchens.

And, fwiw, many, many businesses now have caller id...restaurants, services, even the govt. Specifically so they can track if they want to... I wouldn't chance a call from home! go to a pay phone if you're calling the health inspector!

I like to cook with wine. Sometimes I even add it to the food.

infra red themometer

spectrometer device for measuring sweetness

CD/DVD writing capability on the laptop

sign in sheets for guests with contact (phone & email)

portioner

heat gun

Modeling clay

pointy sticks, carving tools

plastic lugs and bins

padlocks and closures

plastic, wire, screening, wood, cardboard...

projector & screen

whiteboard (large with markers for plotting and thinking)

Large paper with easel (more plotting & thinking)

paintbrushes (good one)

eye droppers (if you can still get them

speed bottles

parchment paper (endless supply)

baking stone

gloves (endless supply)

protective goggles

magnifying glass

rulers/tape measures

seperate unlisted phone number for personal calls

dry storage room

styrofoam

turntables

rolly cart

hand soap & paper towels

In Costco saw really cool multi piece work tool thing (huge) stainless metal cabinet with a zillion drawers from real thin to a good depth - on a wheeled platform - and it locks looks like an excellent organizer - I yearn for one.

<snip>

video camera

tripod

good lighting for photography

good laptop (powerbook) with connector for camera/video

<snip>

Add a high-speed connection to the internet and you could stream video to all your friends here at eGullet.

Stephen Bunge

St Paul, MN

In Costco saw really cool multi piece work tool thing (huge) stainless metal cabinet with a zillion drawers from real thin to a good depth - on a wheeled platform - and it locks looks like an excellent organizer - I yearn for one.

They've had that for a while and I've been lusting after it too.

you can use the iSight with the Powerbook and high speed internet to cast video and in theory you can also make films for use on websites. You do need extra lighting and microphone for that plus a great place to put your laptop w/ iSight where it can film you. I tried making chocolate tempering/moding film - but kept ending up badly framed or oout of frame - plus once you start you are in no position to change the camera - too messy. Get assistant to do that. poor poor golem - I mean assistant.

microwave oven(s) with turntable, onebutton start (1minuteplus)

foodmill

can opener

library

large flat screen TV (wall mout) for projection?

silicone (food grade) for mold making

of course molds

donation jar with suggested donation signage

properly threatening dog

pasta machine

hammer, screwdrivers, wrenches, drill, skillsaw (full toolkit)

extension cords

adjustable table (like a sculptor's stand that can be rolled around, raised, lowered, tilted, turnable top)

folding screen to put in front of door so you don't have to see it all at the end of day

Everyone should have one of these

http://www.jbprince.com/index.asp?PageActi...ROD&ProdID=3443

saw in france – thought they were indispensable – of course at the time – was making many opera and other large layered cakes

now I may be the only person who owns one

It is cool since you can use it as a pouring frame (for viscous things like ganache) too liquid pourable would probably seep out bottom

Still… its nice….

Don't forget your faithful army of Oompah-loompahs.