• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Squash Blossoms

The fresh produce emerging reminds me...any idea when zucchini blossoms will be available? I know they're out sometime during the summer, but I always seem to miss them. Which farmer's markets usually carry them? Maybe I need to be an earlier riser...

Iovine's in Reading Terminal Market has them already, in little tupperwares by the truffles, herbs, and mushrooms. They are pricey, though, since they are not in season anywhere local yet.

CMN:

Don't know where to buy them, but they're usually on the menu at Buon Appetito restaurant and they're version is quite tasty.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

EXCEPT the three or four times I've been there. I'm nearly convinced that most of South Philadelphia is in a big conspiracy to convince me these things exist when they really don't.

If you think South Philly is that organized, well that's just crazy talk. Get a hold of yourself, man!

Best to call ahead and find out about the flowers.

• 11 months later...

Does anybody know where to get squash blossoms in Philly? I mean to cook, not in a restaurant. A friend has a serious hankering for them, and she says that she can never find them, even at Reading Terminal Market. I'm pretty sure I saw some at DiBruno's palatial new digs, but I was wondering if there is any other place that carries them. Any recent sightings?

Does anybody know where to get squash blossoms in Philly?  I mean to cook, not in a restaurant. A friend has a serious hankering for them, and she says that she can never find them, even at Reading Terminal Market. I'm pretty sure I saw some at DiBruno's palatial new digs, but I was wondering if there is any other place that carries them.  Any recent sightings?

I can get them here in the burbs at Foodsource when they come into season. That is the only place I have found them other than a friends garden (eewww! you eat THOSE?) Silly friends.

I know its not convenient to CC philly but depends on the craving I guess.

Evan

Dough can sense fear.

livengood's in the terminal carries them in season too. i think it's just a little early right now; they still have dandelion and poke and asparagus, and squash blossoms come after that stuff.

anastasio, the specialty produce place in the italian market, might have some.

I got some at Sue's Produce on 18th st around Easter. Early I know, but I couldn't resist.

Lisa K

Lavender Sky

"No one wants black olives, sliced 2 years ago, on a sandwich, you savages!" - Jim Norton, referring to the Subway chain.

If you are looking for them at a restaurant, we are now serving them at Meritage Philadelphia (20th and Lombard):

Zucchini blossoms Provençal

Sautéed zucchini blossoms stuffed with rabbit, bacon, and potato, served with Cheron sauce

-James Colabelli, DWS

• 2 months later...

down in the italian market last week i got some not-so-great-looking squash blossoms for 10 or a dozen for $1 -- i forget the exact price, but it was CHEAP. they'd be hard to stuff, i think, but they were good in soup, or they would have been good in a taco or quesadilla or something.

• 2 weeks later...

I've also seen them at Iovine's. Also, have you tried your local Farmer's Market? I saw some at the one on Fitler Square a week or two ago.

Karen C.

"Oh, suddenly life’s fun, suddenly there’s a reason to get up in the morning – it’s called bacon!" - Sookie St. James

Travelogue: Ten days in Tuscany

Does anybody know where to get squash blossoms in Philly?  I mean to cook, not in a restaurant. A friend has a serious hankering for them, and she says that she can never find them, even at Reading Terminal Market. I'm pretty sure I saw some at DiBruno's palatial new digs, but I was wondering if there is any other place that carries them.  Any recent sightings?

I do not know if you have a garden, but you can grow them. You need the roman zucchini. You can get seeds from Burpee, Martha Stewart, etc. Plant in spring with a squash ladder (or it will take over) and enjoy the blossoms all summer. Actually, we had a squash blossom souffle just the other night! :raz:

S. Cue

I do not know if you have a garden, but you can grow them. You need the roman zucchini. You can get seeds from Burpee, Martha Stewart, etc. Plant in spring with a squash ladder (or it will take over) and enjoy the blossoms all summer. Actually, we had a squash blossom souffle just the other night! :raz:

Alas, my friend and I are both apartment dwellers. The image of roman zucchini blossoms entwined about my fire escape is enticing, though.

(Coincidentally, she reported having bad stuffed squash blossoms at La Boheme over the weekend. I'm not sure why they were bad. Goat cheese was involved somehow.)

• 4 years later...

Bump...

My local PYO farm is now offering squash blossoms at $6 per pound. I am trying to find some creative and new ways to make a meal out of them. I have stuffed them every which way till Sunday, so lets consider that horse flogged.

Any thoughts?

"Salt is born of the purest of parents: the sun and the sea." --Pythagoras.

My local PYO farm is now offering squash blossoms at $6 per pound. I am trying to find some creative and new ways to make a meal out of them. I have stuffed them every which way till Sunday, so lets consider that horse flogged.

Any thoughts?

Squash blossoms are a very good pizza topping, and can be good with pasta too. I had success with this recipe last summer.

Out of curiosity, where are you picking the blossoms? $6/pound is a screaming deal, especially given that they weigh, like, nothing.