• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

suckling pig

Nick Soapdish

anyone ever done a roasted suckling pig?  I'm looking to do one soon and any advice or pointers would be great.  thanks

ns

What are you thinking of doing with the pig? Open pit? Charcoal? Rotisserie?

Slow smoke? Covered pit? How large is the pig?

There are a lot of possibilties, and I'm sure e gulleteers will have lots of help for you (especially eating!)

There is even a place on Caledonia Rd. that rents large Brinkmann type units.

Suckling as in tiny 20lb range? Or is it larger in the 75lb plus category? I think different parts of the country suckling can have a different size meaning.

Oops, I should have read the link and previous post better...guess this question has been asked already. Sorry bout jumping the gun there.

Edited by AgaCooker (log)

A island in a lake, on a island in a lake, is where my house would be if I won the lottery.

thanks for the helpful link alexp

it's going to be a 20lb'er roasted in a convection oven. now I need to decide what to serve with it.

ns

There's nothing like a pork belly to steady the nerves - Fergus Henderson

The restaurant Prune has re-introduced suckling pig to their menu. They accompany it with a bright and acidic combination of cherry tomatoes, shallots, parsley, maybe some other things, oh yeah, chopped gherkins. I think these light fresh flavors contrast wonderfully with the heady milky richness of a young pig.

You shouldn't eat grouse and woodcock, venison, a quail and dove pate, abalone and oysters, caviar, calf sweetbreads, kidneys, liver, and ducks all during the same week with several cases of wine. That's a health tip.

Jim Harrison from "Off to the Side"

thanks for the helpful link alexp

it's going to be a 20lb'er roasted in a convection oven.  now I need to decide what to serve with it.

ns

That's a novel approach I hadn't considered. My own convection oven is small, and the retail convection ovens I see are too small for a 20 pounder. If the rump was placed near the blower the cooking would be uneven. Are you working with a larger, professional oven?