• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

amarone

Nick Soapdish

Amarone is a wine that goes well with richly-flavored foods and dishes. It's great paired with gorgonzola cheese. It also pairs well with game, whether grilled or prepared in a hearty stew.

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero

Chunks of parmesan drizzled with fine old balsamico (not the $4-a-500-ml bottle stuff).

I second the game suggestion.

It also pairs well with spice flavours and can handle a bit of sweetness. One of the most memorable matches I've tasted was an Italian medieval dish, a duck stew with red wine, vinegar, sugar and warm spices.

Barbecued baby back ribs.

Spicy sausages.

Savoury fruit preps: dates stuffed with gorgonzola and/or foie gras pâté; bacon-wrapped prunes on rosemary skewers, etc.

Edited by carswell (log)

"I ate his liver with some fava beans and a big Amarone" - Dr Hannibal Lecter

Tomas Harris Silence Of the Lambs

DarkSide Member #005-03-07-06

Italians sometimes consider Amarone a wine "to contemplate life" to, without food. But if you must, the above suggestions are good - something distinctive and full-bodied.

I thought the line mentioned Chianti and not Amarone.

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero

I thought the line mentioned Chianti and not Amarone.

Chianti in the movie, Amarone in the book.

Thanks,

K

DarkSide Member #005-03-07-06