• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Liebman's Kosher Restaurant

VivreManger

The NYTIMES of 18 May is carrying a story about the Bronx which featured this particular item about a deli in Riverdale:

'Liebman's Kosher Restaurant is a beautiful sight. Open since 1953, the restaurant makes wondrous corned beef, homemade pigs in blankets, and increasingly rare round knishes. (Brooklynites still mourning Shatzkin's might want to make a pilgrimage.) Liebman's is one of very few places in New York that still make their own pastrami and slice it to order; one of the owners, Yuval Dekel, said he rubs a whole brisket of beef with pepper, sugar, and salt; then he smokes it, and then steams it "until the proteins in the meat just give in."'

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/05/18/dining/18bron.html

Does anyone know it? How far off the Henry Hudson is it? Katz's is unfortunately distant from my usual NY haunts, but Riverdale is managable so a good deli just off the way to the Saw Mill River Parkway is worth knowing about.

Based on the address -- 552 West 235th Street (Johnson Avenue), (718) 548-4534 -- I think they're a couple of blocks east of the Henry Hudson.

Location on Mapquest

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

Thanks for checking the on-line edition more carefully. For reasons that allude me the vital address details are not included in the article itself, but separated and sometimes not obvious.

Now the question turns to issues of substance. How good is the meat?

Thanks for checking the on-line edition more carefully.  For reasons that allude me the vital address details are not included in the article itself, but separated and sometimes not obvious. 

Now the question turns to issues of substance.  How good is the meat?

Eh.. it's ok. Not anything worth a detour from Manhattan. I live right by it, so it's my local deli, but I've had several service issues there recently which have turned me off to it (condiments & toppings left off of sandwiches on 4 or 5 occassions during takeout orders).

The knishes & hot dogs are good, and the sandwiches can be good for the nabe, but I don't think it's a destination joint.

For anyone who wants to come out though, exit 19 on the Hudson lets off right by it. It's at the intersection of Johnson Ave. & 235th st.

"Long live democracy, free speech and the '69 Mets; all improbable, glorious miracles that I have always believed in."

The NYTIMES of 18 May is carrying a story about the Bronx which featured this particular item about a deli in Riverdale:

'Liebman's Kosher Restaurant is a beautiful sight. Open since 1953, the restaurant makes wondrous corned beef, homemade pigs in blankets, and increasingly rare round knishes. (Brooklynites still mourning Shatzkin's might want to make a pilgrimage.) Liebman's is one of very few places in New York that still make their own pastrami and slice it to order; one of the owners, Yuval Dekel, said he rubs a whole brisket of beef with pepper, sugar, and salt; then he smokes it, and then steams it "until the proteins in the meat just give in."'

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/05/18/dining/18bron.html

Does anyone know it? How far off the Henry Hudson is it? Katz's is unfortunately distant from my usual NY haunts, but Riverdale is managable so a good deli just off the way to the Saw Mill River Parkway is worth knowing about.

Somethings not "Kosher" if it's "Corned Beef" or "Pastrami" it's always Cured, Pickled or Corned before finishing. "Pastrami" after being processed is seasoned then allowed to dry by hanging or drying under refrigeration until being Smoked under controlled temperature. Did the Times leave it out ?

Corned Beef is slowly simmered in water with spices added, or Steamed until fully cooked.

It has recently become acceptable to make "Pastrami" from Brisket, but traditionally it made from the Navels, as it's served at places like "Katz's" and "Second Ave Deli".

The breaking down of the collagen's during slow smoking combined with the fat layers in the navel after being kept in a steamer are what makes the "Pastrami" tastes so special in the traditional deli's. [ almost no lean navels].

One thing I'm sure about is next time I visit NYC and stay at my daughters house in "Cortlandt Manor" I will have another place to visit in the Bronx besides "Arthur Avenue".

Irwin

I don't say that I do. But don't let it get around that I don't.