• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Varmint's Pig Pickin', Version 2 -- 9/4/05

Varmint

Who will be the winner of the Super Bowl this year and by how many points?

The Green Bay Packers, of course. Or, anyone but the Saints. By 11.

Do you think that Google will continue to trade at this crazy price?

The price will peak at a google dollars per share.

Chocolate or Vanilla?

Yes.

What's the best way to remove old varnish from wood  floors?

Tear out the floors. Then all the varnish is gone.

And finally, what is the meaning of life?

Pork, silly.

And the airspeed velocity of the unladen swallow is a trick question, as African swallows are always laden with coconuts. European swallows will, from time to time, fly unladen. But you didn't ask that.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

That, ladies and gentlemen, is our General Counsel and General Comedian, Dean "Varmint" McCord.

He'll be appearing here at the Yuck Room for the rest of this week.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

That, ladies and gentlemen, is our General Counsel and General Comedian, Dean "Varmint" McCord.

Thank you, thank you very much.

My next performance will be on September 4. Get your tickets now.

Do y'all think I've given you enough reminders to join us??? I'm incessant, much like those public radio requests for money. And until the day arrives or we sell out, I'll keep on pushing!!!

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

the airspeed of the unladen african swallow has not yet been calculated but .......the airspeed velocity of an unladen European Swallow is 10 meters per second

not kidding

tracey

see ya in 23 days

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

And please don't forget to tip your bartenders and waitresses... :biggrin:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Do y'all think I've given you enough reminders to join us???  I'm incessant, much like those public radio requests for money.  And until the day arrives or we sell out, I'll keep on pushing!!!

Since Varmint's got like a 100 people or more coming to this event, I'm going to plug the NJ Potluck over here. Did you see the Anthony Bourdain: No Reservations episode about New Jersey last week? Well, our event on September 18th is taking place on that dairy farm that also bakes bread. Come see Bobolink in all its late summer glory! You can taste the cheese and bread, buy some to take home, pet the cows, try to catch a chicken, all in an area of New Jersey that most tourists never see. Plus, it's very close to the Hudson Valley area of New York -- you could tour some wineries!

For more information, click here for the Third Annual NJ Potluck and eGullet Society Fundraiser.

Dave survived Marlene once before. I suspect he can manage her again. You, on the other hand, I am not so sure about. :wink:

I'm on pins and needles here--I dunno which I am more looking forward to, the fried chicken smackdown or the pig pickin itself!

Dave survived Marlene once before. I suspect he can manage her again. You, on the other hand, I am not so sure about. :wink:

I'm on pins and needles here--I dunno which I am more looking forward to, the fried chicken smackdown or the pig pickin itself!

Me too!! Philly crew is planning a late Saturday afternoon arrival so we'll be set to play prep cooks again and peel 'taters, mix drinks or whatever else is required.

I don't know if I'll miss the comraderie that was forced by the design of the "old kitchen". I kinda felt like family by the time that first evening was over with all the squeezing by and rubbing up against one another. :biggrin:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

I don't know if I'll miss the comraderie that was forced by the design of the "old kitchen".  I kinda felt like family by the time that first evening was over with all the squeezing by and rubbing up against one another.  :biggrin:

I was under the impression that this was a family type event. Perhaps I was misinformed. Even better.

I don't know if I'll miss the comraderie that was forced by the design of the "old kitchen".  I kinda felt like family by the time that first evening was over with all the squeezing by and rubbing up against one another.  :biggrin:

I was under the impression that this was a family type event. Perhaps I was misinformed. Even better.

We're a really really close family. :wink:

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

Oh, the shame....the shame.  I live two blocks from Varmint and one of the slowest to sign up.....the shame.

WE ARE IN...finally :wacko: !

Beth & Ben

You barely beat the deadline! That puts us over 100, I believe. There is room for more, y'all. Plenty of room.

For the out of town guests or anyone who wants to help cook, we'll be having a "staff meal" at my house Saturday evening. Looks like fried chicken will be the main course. Lots of it! We'll have some biscuits, cucumbers and tomatoes, and whatever else we can rustle up while staying out of Dave's and Brooks' way. We can always use the two old burners in the loft, too. I'm sure Brooks wants some okra and tomatoes. I can do a couple of trays of ultra-simple peach cobbler, if I get some prep help.

All in all, I think we'll have a touch of fun. :wink:

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Brooks, you know how we mean "family" in the South.  C'mon, already.  :blink:

That' an unfair stereotype. I don't have any relatives in my family who are married to each other (or even dating, for that matter).

At least not any that are closer than 2nd cousins, and that doesn't count.

Brooks, you know how we mean "family" in the South.  C'mon, already.   :blink:

That' an unfair stereotype. I don't have any relatives in my family who are married to each other (or even dating, for that matter).

At least not any that are closer than 2nd cousins, and that doesn't count.

Who said anything about marriage? :wink:

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Oh, the shame....the shame.  I live two blocks from Varmint and one of the slowest to sign up.....the shame.

Beth & Ben

You barely beat the deadline! That puts us over 100, I believe. There is room for more, y'all. Plenty of room.

For the out of town guests or anyone who wants to help cook, we'll be having a "staff meal" at my house Saturday evening. Looks like fried chicken will be the main course. Lots of it! We'll have some biscuits, cucumbers and tomatoes, and whatever else we can rustle up while staying out of Dave's and Brooks' way. We can always use the two old burners in the loft, too. I'm sure Brooks wants some okra and tomatoes. I can do a couple of trays of ultra-simple peach cobbler, if I get some prep help.

I'll bring the okra, unless yours is just great . You should probably try to find a tomato or twenty, as ours have gone to hell. It'll be October before we see any more local ones.

I'm bringing a few shrimp, some oysters, and maybe some crabs if they look good. I'm quite sure that we can find something to do with them.

Beth & Ben

For Saturday, lemme know when and what I can do. I'll be devilin' them eggs probably Saturday and Sunday (might even start late Friday), and with 100+ coming, I'll need some fridge space, if anyone is in Raleigh and has a spare shelf to offer (no nibbling!). Varmint's will probably be full. I live a pig's throw from the Raleigh farmers market - could pick up some corn and 'maters, if there's any good left by then.

I spent Saturday afternoon making peach jam with and offering a shoulder to a friend whose S.O. is undergoing tests for possibly having suffered some small strokes. Jamming - best, and tastiest, therapy there is!