• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Varmint's Pig Pickin', Version 2 -- 9/4/05

Varmint

Bloody mary fans should rejoice. You have never had a proper Bloody Mary until you have had one with hot, spicy okra in it.

OK, who wants to be in charge of developing the quintessential bloody mary? Not something with barbecue sauce or anything silly like that, but something that represents a legitimate culinary advancement of the drink of which all mixologists would be proud.

Well, who's capable of doing that?????

I recently suggested a smoked paprika infused vodka for Bloody Mary's at a Spanish restaurant. I've also made horseradish infused vodka intended for oyster shooters that makes a pretty righteous Mary as well.

Habanero infused vodka is good stuff. Herbacidal made some of that last summer that had to be dispensed with an eye dropper. It practically made the tomato juice bubble and smoke. :blink: Once properly diluted it made a mighty fine Mary.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

I recently suggested a smoked paprika infused vodka for Bloody Mary's at a Spanish restaurant.  I've also made horseradish infused vodka intended for oyster shooters that makes a pretty righteous Mary as well.

Habanero infused vodka is good stuff.  Herbacidal made some of that last summer that had to be dispensed with an eye dropper.  It practically made the tomato juice bubble and smoke. :blink: Once properly diluted it made a mighty fine Mary.

But is it possible or reasonable to make fresh tomato juice? Why resort to something coming out of a bottle or can?

Just thinking here.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

I've also made horseradish infused vodka intended for oyster shooters

So does that mean you'll be loaded up with oysters, too? :wink:

Sorry no 8 hour drives with smelly seafood in the car. And my oyster accessibility isn't as good as it used to be. I am starting a big batch of limoncello this weekend though. Does that get me off the hook for the bivalves? :biggrin:

Perhaps one of the better chefs amongst us could tell us how to make "tomato water"? The subtlety of the paprika vodka would likely be lost in full strength/viscosity out of the can tomato juice or V-8. But it might make for a lovely chilled cocktail served up with tomato water and one of Brooks' spicy okra balanced on the rim of the glass. That would certainly be a fancy enough Bloody Mary to qualify as having been created by a bunch of food crazed fools willing to travel hundreds of miles for a Pig Pickin'! :laugh:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

tomato water is described in one of Charlie Trotters books....roughly chopped tomatoes hung in a cheesecloth bag to drip overnight :smile: .....I was actually explaining this to someone at work the other day They thought I was nuts as per usual

tracey

If we take the car down I can get mozzarella curd and we can roll our own

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

Habanero infused vodka is good stuff.  Herbacidal made some of that last summer that had to be dispensed with an eye dropper.  It practically made the tomato juice bubble and smoke. :blink: Once properly diluted it made a mighty fine Mary.

Perhaps I should bring that. The good thing about doing it as strong as I do it is that you have to dilute the flavored vodka with regular vodka to bring down the strength.

Does anyone coming from NC want to bring oysters?

Will there be a crew of folks doing shots?

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

Perhaps I should bring that. The good thing about doing it as strong as I do it is that you have to dilute the flavored vodka with regular vodka to bring down the strength.

Does anyone coming from NC want to bring oysters?

Will there be a crew of folks doing shots?

We can get oysters here -- not a wide variety of oysters, but they'll be pretty fresh.

I doubt I'll be doing any shots, not if I want to get this pig cooked, that is. Of course, it's an altogether different story for the rest of you!

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

This is the final week in which we can hold rooms at the Brownstone Inn, as our release date is August 12. If you need a room and haven't booked anything, I suggest you get a move on things. There is a good chance that the hotel will sell out and a better chance (say, 100%) that you won't be able to get these rates after the 12th.

Please click here for all the hotel information.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

tomato water is described in one of Charlie Trotters books....roughly chopped tomatoes hung in a cheesecloth bag to drip overnight.

The hard part is restraining yourself from helping it along by squeezing and/or pressing the cheesecloth. Doing so gets pulp into the tomato water, which you want as clear and un-red as humanly possible (a very faint rose is fine). Done properly, you wind up with a light sugar water with pronounced tomato flavor.

Bob Libkind aka "rlibkind"

Robert's Market Report

While I was on the phone with Katie regarding our travel plans yesterday, a Varmint e-mail arrived wondering when I was registering.

This morning, actually.

Charlie, the Main Line Mummer

We must eat; we should eat well.

I assume you'll be bringing the musical instruments.  If there are any other musicians out there, bring your tune-makers.  It'll be fun!

Last time, Blondie brought a guitar that Al Dente played. I'll bring an accordion and an almost piano. My favorite photo shows Clara, the youngest lil' Varmint, helping me play the piano. There's a cute one with Ian Shorter on the keys, also in this 41 page thread.

(If you're gonna look at event photos, start at the back.)

Charlie, the Main Line Mummer

We must eat; we should eat well.

That coconut cake was to die for.

There are few things that are actually worth dying for, but coconut cake may indeed be on that list! My sister-in-law has promised to make an even larger caramel cake this year (along with the other 5 desserts she made!).

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Including children, we have over 90 people committed to attend the pig pickin' so far. I expect there to be a last minute rush in registrations, but we really won't be able to handle many more than 120 to 130.

So, please register now if you truly want to come.

Thanks!

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

I recently suggested a smoked paprika infused vodka for Bloody Mary's at a Spanish restaurant.  I've also made horseradish infused vodka intended for oyster shooters that makes a pretty righteous Mary as well.

But is it possible or reasonable to make fresh tomato juice? Why resort to something coming out of a bottle or can?

Just thinking here.

I have a Bloody Mary Deviled Egg in my book.

Speaking of which, any preferences on flavor of DEs? I thought I'd bring some of my more exotic ones, especially some hot and spicy.

Speaking of which, any preferences on flavor of DEs? I thought I'd bring some of my more exotic ones, especially some hot and spicy.

Hmm, do you have a list of your deviled eggs? It'd be fun for everyone to pick and choose!

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

One other thing -- if you haven't booked a room, then you best get it done. Our release date is actually this Sunday, the 14th. If you haven't reserved the room before Sunday, you'll have to pay full freight!

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Just thinking here.

Hi Debbie:

I just got your book and hope you'll sign it for me at the "pickin".

I love any kind of deviled eggs. The Bloody Mary ones look great. I was also especially drawn to: pimento cheese deviled eggs (two of my favorite things in one package); green eggs and ham; spinach bacon deviled eggs; and the dirty martinis (will they work with gin as well?? :rolleyes:

Any ones you bring will be well appreciated and eaten by yours truly. Thanks!!

Bill

Bill Benge

Moab, Utah

"I like eggs", Leon Spinks

As we approach September 4 (which is only 23 days away!), I'll email the attendees all the specifics about the event, including how to get to my house. We'll be having lots of fun on Saturday as well, cooking up a storm. I'll also post an area guide to give you an idea of some things to do if you're getting in early in the week.

If you have questions, post them here, so all can benefit.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Who will be the winner of the Super Bowl this year and by how many points?

Do you think that Google will continue to trade at this crazy price?

Chocolate or Vanilla?

What's the best way to remove old varnish from wood floors?

And finally, what is the meaning of life?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

Who will be the winner of the Super Bowl this year and by how many points?

Do you think that Google will continue to trade at this crazy price?

Chocolate or Vanilla?

What's the best way to remove old varnish from wood floors?

And finally, what is the meaning of life?

Thanks in advance for your help.

And what is the airspeed of an unladen African swallow?

About gin in the Dirty Martini DEs - suit yourself. I have not been able to stand gin since being handed what turned out to be gin and Fresca at a college party about 25 years ago.