• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Varmint's Pig Pickin', Version 2 -- 9/4/05

Varmint

. . . .

Anyway, I remember at least one thread on eG discussing how to roast a goat, perhaps even two threads. And although I have the patience and the expertise to roast a goat myself, (for it is always amusing watching petite females doing Manly things, don't cha think?) I don't have the ability to post a link to these threads.

Might entail a broken fingernail or something, and I just cain't risk it.

But they are there, I promise you. Search. . .and truth shall be found. :wink:

Right you are: goatarama

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

Ah, Ronnie, you might be off the hook!!!

I'll be happy to co-pilot . . . assistant birriarista! :wink::smile:

The few times I've had it around here, it was slowly-cooked. One birriaria we hit on occasion prepares it in what can be described as carnitas-style. It think it's braised for a while and then roasted near the end of the cooking process to crisp it up. It's damn good that way.

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

I know it's hard to get excited about a party when there's so much pain and suffering going on in the Gulf Coast. Our hearts and hopes go out to each and every person who has been impacted by this devastating storm, particularly Brooks Hamaker and his family.

If you know Brooks or have read what he's posted on these Forums, you'll soon realize that he'd want to make sure that we carry on with the pig pickin', and to celebrate life every possible moment. So that is what we're going to do. The show will go on, and it's only 5 days away.

So, we'll keep our senses of humor alive, we'll cook together, we'll eat together, and we'll have fun. Heck, I'll even make a joke at Brooks' expense: He'd do anything to get out of losing to Dave in the fried chicken cook-off.

Unless someone wants to step to the plate and dare to take Brooks' spot in the cook-off, we may go to an entirely different plan for the staff meal. Think beef, slow cooked and aromatic. We'll work it out.

Five days to go. You may begin to fast.

Oh, the forecast is calling for gorgeous weather: mid 80s, low humidity. Low 60s at night.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

I've made Brooks' fried chicken several times and in fact, this cook off came about as a result of my foodblog. I ain't southern, but I can make fried chicken. (Not that I would ever oppose beef :biggrin: )

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

A couple of folks have asked me and yes, I have spoken with Brooks a couple of times, and yes, he and his family are OK. However, they know absolutely nothing about the status of their home, as news coming from St. Tammany Parish is non-existent.

We are assuming that Brooks is not coming to the pig pickin', of course. He has said nothing to that effect, but it would be pretty insensitive to even bring something like that up. His focus is on his family and his home (and his extended family's homes, too). Brooks is crazy enough to come in light of all that's gone on, but if that's the case, let's all just be surprised then!

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

If Brooks can't make it, Dave Scantland and I will make the stewed okra and deep fried okra in his honor together. We WILL have okra at this event, Katrina be damnned.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

You can park on nearly every street in the neighborhood, including Dixie Trail. It's a Sunday, remember! However, I suggest you park on Leonard near the houses where there is construction behind my house, as those streets are less busy.

This is what I believe to be the case -- please look for signs, of course!

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

You know, I've been meaning to ask this, but I couldn't figure out a way to do so without looking completely idiotic. Malawry is going to be making her "famed hushpuppies". Since I missed the finale last time, and being Canadian and woefully ignorant of such important things - could someone please tell me what a hush puppy is? :unsure:

Marlene

Ronnie's right. They're just a cornmeal-based batter that's fried until crisp. Good ones aren't too dense and have a balance of flavors. Mine are good. :rolleyes:

They can be formed any number of ways. I'll probably drop them from a pair of large spoons into the oil like I did last time. You can use an ice-cream scooper. A lot of large BBQ operations, like Stamey's in Greensboro, use a funnel that pre-portions extruded, uh, turdlike puppies into the oil (they taste good, believe me, but they do look a little turdlike!). For my final in culinary school, I quenelled them for the ultimate highbrow lowbrow treat.

Y'all got hush puppies, we've got butter tart squares. :raz: I knew I shouldn't have asked. :rolleyes:

Marlene

You MUST address two crucial hushpuppy issues: sweet or not, and onion or none.

I am in not sweet/yes onion category.

Crook's Corner makes a mean 'pup with fresh jalapenos in the corn meal and fries them darker than usual at 'Q joints, giving a nice crispy bite, and serves them with cocktail sauce. If memory serves, he also uses white cornmeal. Hope the recipe's in his new cookbook.

Oh, and legend has it that the name came from, when a Southern cook was frying (as we all do from the day we are born), she threw a bit of dough to the hound dawgs to get them to be quiet.

Oh, and let me add that a college roommate and I were once so desperate for hushpuppies that we used one of those old metal popcorn poppers as a deep fryer. The ones that had the heat element welded to the metal pot. The only way to control the heat was to unplug it and plug it back in. We burned up the pot, and it's a wonder we didn't do the same to ourselves. But the 'pups were great.

And Bill Smith's cookbook does not appear to have the hushpuppy recipe in it, Debbie. It has lots of other good ones, though, and is a very good read.

Malawry's hushpuppies have just the right amount of sweetness for my taste. I love 'em, and I think she'll make a convert out of you!

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Ronnie's right. They're just a cornmeal-based batter that's fried until crisp. Good ones aren't too dense and have a balance of flavors. Mine are good. :smile:

You're far too modest. Your hushpuppies are the ne plus ultra of the genre. Light and perfect in every way. I can hardly wait to have them again. :wub:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

OK y'all. Last call for the hotel room I have reserved in my name that is still at the low low Pig Pickin' group rate. If anyone still needs a room at the Brownstone please PM me by Thursday or I am cancelling the room in my name.

I'm still coming. I've just found a roomie! :smile:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Please come prepared for hot weather. The forecast for Sunday is in the mid 80's. We have a tent to provide some shade, and hopefully the humidity will be lower by then. However, it's expected to get into the low 90s through Saturday.

The first out of town guest arrives tonight. Many more will be here on Friday. So although we have 4 days left, I guess the party sort of starts today, doesn't it? :wink:

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

. . .  I guess the party sort of starts today, doesn't it?  :wink:

Then shouldn't you be drinking by now? :wink::smile:

=R=

If I didn't have someone to take care of that goat, I would have started drinking yesterday, but I'm all relaxed, now! :wink:

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

If I didn't have someone to take care of that goat, I would have started drinking yesterday, but I'm all relaxed, now!  :wink:

Nothing like a sober shepherd ... :hmmm: I'll volunteer to be the designated sheepherder for the eGullet flock, Varmint ..

Didn't the singer Pink have a hit single called "Let's Get This Party Started" not long ago?

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"