• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Varmint's Pig Pickin', Version 2 -- 9/4/05

Varmint

No, I want to try that!  But don't waste the shine on the batter -- just give it to me.  :wink:

Tell you what. I actually saw some moonshine jelly at the Farmer's Market the other day.

So rather than feel guilty about totin' in the furrin stuff, thereby unbalancing the purity of your menu, Varmint (I understand this) I'll bring some jars of this along instead.

And that is something I won't have to worry about keeping cold during transportation, too, which will make me an easier-going person. :biggrin:

We'll give it a taste test and how it goes with the biscuits. :wink: Might be the next great addition to the breakfast table of the South.

Or maybe it is already the great addition. . .(and I just didn't know it). . . and that's what makes everyone talk so sweet and slow.

We're heading down the homestretch, y'all -- 13 days! Pray that the hurricanes stay far away from North Carolina.

Dave and Brooks are perfecting their chicken frying techniques. My father and my wife's father will likely be added as judges, and maybe one more to give us a 5 judge panel. We'll have the kids judge, too, as they might be even more susceptible to bribery.

It's been blazingly hot here, but who knows what it'll be like in two weeks.

Depending on what citrus fruit is on sale, I'm thinking of making a cooler full of lemonade/limeade, too. One can not live on tea and beer alone!

Any more questions about the pig pickin'?

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

. . . .

Dave and Brooks are perfecting their chicken frying techniques.  My father and my wife's father will likely be added as judges, and maybe one more to give us a 5 judge panel.  We'll have the kids judge, too, as they might be even more susceptible to bribery.

It's true that Brooks needs the practice.

And the bribery.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

. . . .

Dave and Brooks are perfecting their chicken frying techniques.  My father and my wife's father will likely be added as judges, and maybe one more to give us a 5 judge panel.  We'll have the kids judge, too, as they might be even more susceptible to bribery.

And the bribery.

I'll be needing your parent's address.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

Pray that the hurricanes stay far away from North Carolina.

A short prayer for the Pig Pickin':

May the heat not be oppressive

May the tennis courts be big enough for us all

May the hurricanes find other playing fields (at least for the day!)

May the judges be fair and just in their decisions

May Dave and Brooks hit upon the crispest chicken of all

May there be hush puppies to go around twice

May the Perlow jello mold not melt

May the drinks be cold and soothing

and May the Varmints have the strength to repeat this endeavor for the next few years!

Amen!!

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

. . . .

And the bribery.

Do you need the address of the nearest Popeye's, too?

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

. . . .

And the bribery.

Ouch. Good counter, Dave.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

. . . .

And the bribery.

For those of you who are unaware of the chicken frying situation, there is some information that might make things clearer, as Dave seems to be using subtle and not so subtle methods to take the world's eyes off of his recent and somewhat murky past:

People are still talking about the "frosted flake" episode at the World Fryoff in Demopolis, AL last year. Apparently, in a last fit of panic, Dave ground up Frosted Flakes and used them as his flour mixture-thinking that any group of people that liked sweet tea that much would really enjoy sugary, crunchy chicken. There was a short supension after this episode, but he was soon back on the circuit-the memories of the chicken judges being somewhat short thanks to clogged arteries and poor blood circulation to the brain. Early onset Alzheimer's is very common among professional chicken judges. This condition, known as "Fried Brains" is one of the many hazards that face the professional chicken judge on today's competitive judging circuit (the other is the constant shameless flirting of the octagenarian women who are often participants in the local events-something Dave is often unable to resist).

any space left ???? just moved to florida last week and if my furniture arrives this week i will be allowed to leave the house. attended the 2 e-gullet parties at boblink and had a great time (as did my 9 yr old)

. . . .

And the bribery.

For those of you who are unaware of the chicken frying situation, there is some information that might make things clearer, as Dave seems to be using subtle and not so subtle methods to take the world's eyes off of his recent and somewhat murky past:

People are still talking about the "frosted flake" episode at the World Fryoff in Demopolis, AL last year. Apparently, in a last fit of panic, Dave ground up Frosted Flakes and used them as his flour mixture-thinking that any group of people that liked sweet tea that much would really enjoy sugary, crunchy chicken. There was a short supension after this episode . . .

There was indeed a short suspension. What Brooks fails to mention is that he was the one suspended, not for an innovative technique that was merely a riff on John T. Edge's Sweet Tea Chicken, but for spiking his cooking medium -- by law it is limited to shortening, peanut oil or lard -- with horse fat. I have a photocopy, if anyone is interested in the truth, of the citation, which clearly shows Brooks's name in the "offender" slot, and, in the explanatory remarks section, the colloquial description of the offense itself: Belgianizing the bird.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

any space left ???? just moved to florida last week and if my furniture arrives this week  i will be allowed to leave the house.  attended the 2 e-gullet parties at boblink and had a great time (as did my 9 yr old)

Yes, there's room. Check the beginning of this discussion for info about how to get tickets.

Hope to see you here.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

. . . .

And the bribery.

People are still talking about the "frosted flake" episode at the World Fryoff in Demopolis, AL last year. Apparently, in a last fit of panic, Dave ground up Frosted Flakes and used them as his flour mixture-thinking that any group of people that liked sweet tea that much would really enjoy sugary, crunchy chicken. There was a short supension after this episode . . .

There was indeed a short suspension. What Brooks fails to mention is that he was the one suspended, not for an innovative technique that was merely a riff on John T. Edge's Sweet Tea Chicken, but for spiking his cooking medium -- by law it is limited to shortening, peanut oil or lard -- with horse fat. I have a photocopy, if anyone is interested in the truth, of the citation, which clearly shows Brooks's name in the "offender" slot, and, in the explanatory remarks section, the colloquial description of the offense itself: Belgianizing the bird.

They never proved anything. The panel made their decision based completely on rumor.

. . . .

And the bribery.

They never proved anything. The panel made their decision based completely on rumor.

True. Though the fact that it was really good fried chicken, and that you had fried it, certainly affected the decision. How else to explain such a rare occurence?

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

For a man who has spent most of his career in the backwaters of the circuit, Dave certainly shows signs of an ability to trash talk in a big league fashion. He can talk the talk, but...

Just a reminder: if you're planning on coming to NC and buying any liquor here, don't count on finding anything other than the ordinary. We have a state-owned liquor store system, and their selections are awful.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Just a reminder: if you're planning on coming to NC and buying any liquor here, don't count on finding anything other than the ordinary.  We have a state-owned liquor store system, and their selections are awful.

True, selections are poor for the liquor lover. I can contribute some basic Smirnoff vodka, plus cooler and ice. Also, homemade hot pepper vinegar! And, if you're lucky, I can persuade my husband to part with a jar or two of my infamous veggie relish (AKA Crack Cocaine Relish for its addictive qualities), which I'll be canning this weekend.

Just a reminder: if you're planning on coming to NC and buying any liquor here, don't count on finding anything other than the ordinary.  We have a state-owned liquor store system, and their selections are awful.

True, selections are poor for the liquor lover. I can contribute some basic Smirnoff vodka, plus cooler and ice. Also, homemade hot pepper vinegar! And, if you're lucky, I can persuade my husband to part with a jar or two of my infamous veggie relish (AKA Crack Cocaine Relish for its addictive qualities), which I'll be canning this weekend.

All of that sounds great, but the vinegar is highly desired to go with the greens. Thanks so much!!!

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

I do want to give anyone who plans on helping out with the cooking a heads up on some logistics. The primary purpose of doing a pig pickin' is to break bread together in an old North Carolina tradition. It's a celebration of the harvest, and of friendship, and of the hard work that went into it.

With this goal in mind, I also strive to maintain some semblance of authenticity with the meal. So if I reject an offer to make a particular dish, it's not because I think it's a disgusting idea (except maybe for the ground beef, hot dogs and beans idea -- :raz:), it's because it doesn't fit in MY concept of a pig pickin'.

When we get together to cook, I'll take a similar approach. I will in effect be the executive chef, asking people to put together dishes the way I want them. Is it selfish? Yup, but it's also to give most of you something you've never experienced. And I'm committed to making it better than what long-time pig pickers have experienced.

Regardless, this will be a hoot, and there will be so much food and drink, we'll need wheelbarrows to cart many of us out of here. And I'll have plenty of aspirin, too. And finally, I'll try my best not to act like Gordon Ramsay and cuss Brooks out every 5 minutes.

Bring on the pig. Thirteen days. Whoo hoooo!

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

And finally, I'll try my best not to act like Gordon Ramsay and cuss Brooks out every 5 minutes.

If this is the kind of thing that I can expect, I may be busy that weekend.

And finally, I'll try my best not to act like Gordon Ramsay and cuss Brooks out every 5 minutes.

Oh, I assure you that you'll be very busy.

Seeing to the every need of Marlene and your Dad. I know which side my bread is buttered on.

Oh, I assure you that you'll be very busy.

Seeing to the every need of Marlene and your Dad. I know which side my bread is buttered on.

That's only necessary until you've lost the throwdown. On Sunday, Chef Varmint will doubtless have a whole 'nother list of responsibilities for you.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

With this goal in mind, I also strive to maintain some semblance of authenticity with the meal.  So if I reject an offer to make a particular dish, it's not because I think it's a disgusting idea (except maybe for the ground beef, hot dogs and beans idea -- :raz:), it's because it doesn't fit in MY concept of a pig pickin'. 

Do pickles fit into the concept? I've got like 8 quarts of home grown & home made garlicy sour kosher style cucumber pickles taking up space in my fridge. Even though Jason is eating them about a pint at a time, I could probably bring some. However, these are fermented, then refrigerated pickles, not sterilized & shelf stable. So, I would need advice on how to pack these to survive a plane trip. Is that even possibe? I really don't want pickle juice leaking out on the luggage. Hmm, maybe it isn't such a great idea. Comments?

Do pickles fit into the concept? Comments?

In the south, we rather enjoy southern fried dill pickles, a classic ..

thread on the pickles from Southern Food Culture here

and you are so right, Rachel .. the bomb-sniffing dogs react adversely to pickle juice ... :unsure:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"