• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Varmint's Pig Pickin', Version 2 -- 9/4/05

Varmint

Two weeks, folks.  Two weeks.

If you're still on the fence, well, get down.  You can hurt yourself up there.

That photograph of Dave in his KK hat (above) should swing it completely! Dave is one lovable character you would never want to miss! :hmmm:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

So, with several offers for potato salad, it occurs to me that maybe we should talk about doing a couple of variations.

My typical version of potato salad is not very traditional (red potatoes, shallots, capers and chives) -- maybe someone else wants to do a more traditional type?

And if it's possible to find cardoons in Raleigh, I could make a good, but very different salad with potatoes and cardoons in a vinaigrette. (Artichoke hearts make an acceptable substitute, if there are no cardoons.) Or maybe I could make that for Saturday, to go with the fried chicken.

Marlene or Rachel (or anyone else), would you be interested in doing a more traditional version?

That's a great idea Janet, and we could have one salad for the staff dinner and one for Sunday. I'm going to have time, and my potato salad is best when made a couple of days ahead, so I'd be fine to make one as well.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

So, with several offers for potato salad, it occurs to me that maybe we should talk about doing a couple of variations.

My typical version of potato salad is not very traditional (red potatoes, shallots, capers and chives) -- maybe someone else wants to do a more traditional type?

And if it's possible to find cardoons in Raleigh, I could make a good, but very different salad with potatoes and cardoons in a vinaigrette. (Artichoke hearts make an acceptable substitute, if there are no cardoons.) Or maybe I could make that for Saturday, to go with the fried chicken.

Marlene or Rachel (or anyone else), would you be interested in doing a more traditional version?

Janet,

I hope you can locate cardooni in Raleigh. I love them. The salad sounds wonderful :biggrin:

Bill Benge

Moab, Utah

"I like eggs", Leon Spinks

I've not seen cardoon, but I haven't looked, either. One thing to remember about dishes like potato salad is that my refrigerator space is limited. Traditional Southern potato salad is mayonnaise based (Dukes, of course) with some mustard.

For the local folks, if you could bring coolers and ice, that'd be appreciated. We need to keep the beer cold!

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

And if it's possible to find cardoons in Raleigh, I could make a good, but very different salad with potatoes and cardoons in a vinaigrette.

Cardoons? Good Lord, Woman! Next you'll be wanting to fry the chicken in truffle oil. When one is traveling to a strange land it is best to try to blend in. If we wanted cardoons we would have growed them our ownselves. Let's just stick with the basics, please ma'am.

edited to say: chicken fried in truffle oil would probably be pretty tasty.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

Cardoons? Good Lord, Woman!  Next you'll be wanting to fry the chicken in truffle oil. When one is traveling to a strange land it is best to try to blend in. If we wanted cardoons we would have growed them our ownselves. Let's just stick with the basics, please ma'am.

A big loud "AMEN TO THAT, BROTHER" from one of the natives here.... Sound like some people are getting a little carried away; after all, this is a pig-pickin !

CBHall

Betcha if you take a walk up the road to a nearby North Carolina overgrown field (if there is such a thing in the area :biggrin: ) you'll find some uh, quite local cardoons.

Well who knows. Start up such a foraging trip among eGulleters and you might just find eighty people wandering along the roadside poking at the weeds. . . :wink: . What a sight for the neighborhood.

It's a weed. Not a gourmet food. Or you might say it is a gourmet food that is a weed. . .anyway.

Don't be so exclusive-minded. Modern Southern folk eat more than pigs and dress in more than the drawing room drapes. Or so I've heard. :rolleyes:

Guess we'll allllll find out.

Edited by Carrot Top (log)

Now that I think of it, sous-vide would be the way to go. Old Cardoons Sous-Vide.

:biggrin:

(My ex-mother in law used to gather cardoons year round, till the things looked like a Green Giant ad. Peeled them and braised them in beef broth with herbs. A squirt of lemon at the end and a handful of Parmesan. Bitter. . .but real.)

Now if someone wants to pick some kudzu and make something out of that, go right ahead.

We do need to remember that this is indeed a pig pickin'. We shouldn't be trying to make it into something other than that.

With that in mind, my kids have asked for macaroni and cheese, which is a fine pig pickin' side dish. Any volunteers????

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Um, mac and cheese is on the menu for Thursday dinner. You want I should make extra?

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

I saw this really cool recipe today for hot dog and hamburger casserole on Colameco's Food Show. Apparently it even originates from the south -- You cut up a whole bunch of hot dogs, mix it up with some ground beef, mix in some molasses and brown sugar, a big ol can of baked beans, and you bake it in a casserole with BACON on top. And you hit it with a shot of Bourbon.

I'm thinking this would be the perfect venue to try this one out.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Um, mac and cheese is on the menu for Thursday dinner.  You want I should make extra?

Make lots extra. Mmm.

I make mine with hard cooked eggs chopped in, usually red potatoes or any new/small potato, scallions or red onion, mustard, mayo, vinegar, celery... I don't usually work with a recipe for potato salad, but if there's a spot at the stove to boil more potatoes, I'll make some on Saturday. Hopefully, I'll get that mini-fridge for the jello mold making on Friday -- anyone down there have a hot pot/electric tea kettle I could borrow for jello mold making at the hotel? -- so I could store it back at the hotel on Saturday night.

I saw this really cool recipe today for hot dog and hamburger casserole on Colameco's Food Show. Apparently it even originates from the south -- You cut up a whole bunch of hot dogs, mix it up with some ground beef, mix in some molasses and brown sugar, a big ol can of baked beans, and you bake it in a casserole with BACON on top. And you hit it with a shot of Bourbon.

Umh, right place, wrong event. We'll have enough main dishes with all the pork and chicken. Trust me on this one! We're trying to maintain some level of authenticity with the pig pickin', and since I'm the anal-retentive host, I do get to control the menu somewhat here! :wink:

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

I make mine with hard cooked eggs chopped in, usually red potatoes or any new/small potato, scallions or red onion, mustard, mayo, vinegar, celery... I don't usually work with a recipe for potato salad, but if there's a spot at the stove to boil more potatoes, I'll make some on Saturday. Hopefully, I'll get that mini-fridge for the jello mold making on Friday -- anyone down there have a hot pot/electric tea kettle I could borrow for jello mold making at the hotel? -- so I could store it back at the hotel on Saturday night.

Let's try to stick to a basic and tradition, but kick-ass nevetheless, potato salad. Distinguish it by making homemade mayo or something like that. Your recipe does sound good, Rachel, and pretty traditional.

As far as the hotplate is concerned, I have an extra kitchen in the loft above the master bedroom with a minifridge in it. I just realized it. This kitchen has two electric burners, too, so you may be able to do all this in the house. See, no worries!!

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Start up such a foraging trip among eGulleters and you might just find eighty people wandering along the roadside poking at the weeds. . . :wink: . What a sight for the neighborhood.

Why am I visualizing the scene in "O Brother, Where art Thou?" with the eGullet people in striped prison gear alongside the highway picking cardoons... the film still I most adore :laugh:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

We do need to remember that this is indeed a pig pickin'.  We shouldn't be trying to make it into something other than that.

Darn. I am so totally flattened.

And here I was, ready to offer up my new recipe for Old Cardoon Fritters in a Moonshine-Cornmeal Batter with Okra-Jalapeno-Hoop Cheese Dip.

Oh well.

We do need to remember that this is indeed a pig pickin'.  We shouldn't be trying to make it into something other than that.

Darn. I am so totally flattened.

And here I was, ready to offer up my new recipe for Old Cardoon Fritters in a Moonshine-Cornmeal Batter with Okra-Jalapeno-Hoop Cheese Dip.

Oh well.

No, I want to try that! But don't waste the shine on the batter -- just give it to me. :wink:

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Umh, right place, wrong event. We'll have enough main dishes with all the pork and chicken. Trust me on this one! We're trying to maintain some level of authenticity with the pig pickin', and since I'm the anal-retentive host, I do get to control the menu somewhat here! :wink:

Philistine.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

If that's the direction y'all are headed in (settling down with the moonshine), we just might as well forego the cardoon fritters and I'll bring along a loaf of salt-riz bread that you can set right down with to scoop up the dip for supper.

Has anyone committed to bringing pecan pies yet?

Edited by Carrot Top (log)