• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Varmint's Pig Pickin', Version 2 -- 9/4/05

Varmint

Geez, I am now SO reminded why I left the practice of law!!!

So, this is how it is, huh. I just hope my "on its last legs, piece of s***, world's smallest, ancient oven" can get those meringue's the requisite golden brown. Not all of us still make the big lawyer bucks and have a BRAND NEW KITCHEN, like Varmint.

I am up for the challenge.....just hope ya'll are up for the eating!!

By the way, I don't get the 50 reference, although I admit to having deja vu when I read that clause. Monty Python maybe?

By the way, my Momma always said that banana puddin is much better the second day.......................................

Just a little resolution from the Pig Pickin' Board, of which I'm the sole member!  :raz:

I can't believe you didn't nail down the whipped cream clause.

I second that concern.

Question for VaNC: If whipped cream is considered blasphemy, what is Cool Whip considered?

Russell J. Wong aka "rjwong"

Food and I, we go way back ...

Just a little resolution from the Pig Pickin' Board, of which I'm the sole member!  :raz:

I can't believe you didn't nail down the whipped cream clause.

I second that concern.

Question for VaNC: If whipped cream is considered blasphemy, what is Cool Whip considered?

Excommunication is the only course.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

in-laws!)

Beverage:

Red Hook Beer (complements of Harris Wholesale)

Homebrew

Red & White Wine (complements of Carolina Wine Company)

Cocktails (Katie and Janet in charge)

Iced Tea (Does anyone have a 5 gallon water jug cooler thingy?)

I'll back Katie 'n Janet up on the cocktails. Habanero vodka on its way.

Haven't decided on the nonalcoholic drink I'll be bringing.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

Well I was going to volunteer to make the potato salad or banana pudding, but these seem to have been spoken for. I guess I'll just be on hand to do tasks people assign me. I'm pretty handy in the kitchen myself.

<-- Anyone sign up to make a jello mold yet? :wink:

Miller's Analogy Test redux:

Cool Whip: whipped cream :: Miracle Whip: mayonnaise

faux, ersatz, phoney or just plain phake, you name it .. it ain't the real thing .. and everyone knows that only a meringue tops a self-respecting banana pudding ...

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

FYI, my address is 1301 Dixie Trail in Raleigh. Yes, Dixie Trail.

From the airport and most places coming from the west: Take I-40 East until exit 289, WADE AVE, RALEIGH NORTH, RALEIGH EAST. Go about 3 miles through 3 lights. At the fourth light, turn left onto Dixie Trail. Take the first left onto Leonard, and we're the first house on the right. The house sits above the tennis court. It's a modern, unpainted cedar-sided house.

To get to the Brownstone, follow the directions to the fourth light, but turn Right onto Dixie. Turn left onto Hillsborough at the first light. The Brownstone is at 1707 Hillsborough on the right side, about a mile.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Well, as usual I got geographically confused about where Raleigh is and thought I was driving to Winston-Salem. Only a difference of two and a half extra hours or so. :biggrin:

Nevertheless, we'll start out the day before with the pastries in a cooler in the car. . .which will then be popped into a fridge in the hotel in Greensboro where we'll stay on Saturday in order to do the Water Park. :cool:

Naturally my thoughts will be on all of you struggling in the heat of the kitchen preparing wonderful things, and I won't enjoy a moment of it. :wink:

I hope you will all take pity on me, acting like an etranger, a auslander, a furriner. . .bringing along Viennese thingies to eat, and that you will take a bite or two of them. The True Southerners can avert their eyes whilst this occurs if they wish. :raz: So far the list is chocolate-cherry torte (it has a layer of marzipan "built in" for those who care :smile: ); nusstorte layered with apricot filling; and a linzertorte. Mostly because those are things I can almost make in my sleep. I do hope you will have some schlag around for the linzertorte. . :unsure:

But here is my question: What time should late arrivals like me and mine be planning to arrive at this hoedown?

now if I am doing this on Google Earth.......what color is the roof? :rolleyes:

T

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

T

My house is just to the left of where it says 1301 Dixie Tr. It's got the funky looking gray-blue roof. The gray area at the corner is the tennis court. The tennis court would be very white, as we had it pressure washed (just in time for the grease to soak in).

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

T

34 48' 41.23" N

78 40' 41.23" W

Dean is looking up and waving. Be polite and wave back.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

T

34 48' 41.23" N

78 40' 41.23" W

Dean, please go back inside and put on something reflective. I can't see you at night.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

T

34 48' 41.23" N

78 40' 41.23" W

Dean, please go back inside and put on something reflective. I can't see you at night.

Wait a minute, I can just take my shirt off, and that should do the trick!

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

T

34 48' 41.23" N

78 40' 41.23" W

If I were there, I could just take off my Krispy Kreme hat.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

T

34 48' 41.23" N

78 40' 41.23" W

If I were there, I could just take off my Krispy Kreme hat.

This might help explain what Dave means:

gallery_137_342_31098.jpg

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

I just get green splodge at that location with Google Earth

"Green Splodge" pretty much describes it, though you might want to back out a bit with the focus. If you do, you will then be able to see "green splodge with blue roof". It's amazing technology, though. I spent an hour with my 15 year old last night, who pretty much won't do anything with me for an hour other than play tennis, looking at cities and landmarks. The Great Wall, The Kremlin, D.C., New York, all of the places in the world that I have lived, Mt Everest, tons of pyramid sites , Mt St Helen's, Danali, Everest. I am just stunned by the technology. I especially like putting in a new destination and "lifting off" (youngest son's term) to go to the next destination. Moscow to Los Angeles in 10 seconds-and the on board meals served are much better than any airline today. Last night they served grilled pork chops and corn with asparagus and watermelon sorbet for dessert.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...