• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Varmint's Pig Pickin', Version 2 -- 9/4/05

Varmint

This has been a wonderful weekend, with absolutely amazing food and drink, and many good friends; both old and new. Varmint and family are incredible hosts. It takes a special kind of person to pull off an event like this without completely losing it. Not only did he not lose it, but he was completely in his element, and seemed to enjoy the perilous moments as much as the easy ones.

At one point, I glanced into the kitchen and saw at least 15 people all bustling about; performing their various tasks. I turned to my wife in amazement. "Can you imagine what my mood would be if this were our kitchen?" I asked her. "It would be anything but a party," I quipped, answering my own question. She just laughed. But for Varmint, it was a moment of true bliss. My hat's off to him. He hosts with grace.

Beyond the smokey-licious pig, chicken and goat, I loved everything I stuffed into my mouth today but there were a few standouts for me. First, the hush puppies turned out by Malawry were spectacular. They were, by far, the best, most perfect hush puppies I've ever experienced. They were crispy on the outside and tender on the inside, perfectly golden brown and they carried a light aroma of vidalia onion. If I ever cooked anything as perfectly as those puppies, I could die happy.

The Brunswick Stew was out of this world. DtC's Squash Casserole was so rich and satisfying I wanted to sneak off with one of the pans. The okra -- both preparations -- was terrific. The collard greens, potato salad, slaw -- even the pickles, made by the Perlows (and others) -- were remarkably stand-out. Debbie's deviled eggs were just wonderful -- especially the Bloody Maries. The desserts . . . hell, I usually don't even like desserts and these left me wanting more (if I'd only had room). The banana pudding, the caramel cake, the ice cream, the coconut cake; well you get the idea. The hotel is very nice but frankly, I'm downright pissed that we don't have a fridge or minibar in our room. Leaving this shindig without leftovers was truly painful.

Thanks again to everyone who worked their butts off to make this event happen. I'm just so appreciative of the dedication and effort you laid out. Other than the leftover thing, I feel like a very lucky person right now. :wink::smile:

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

Is this a new Jello spectrum?  I recall grape on the top of the one I last saw.

Nope, that's grape on top. The pic is just slightly off hue I guess. The jello mold was a big hit with the kids (and many adults), there was nothing left at the end of the evening. No fridge in our room either, so I've contented myself with bringing home some butter tart squares, a slice of caramel cake and some fruit tart; all conveniently packed into the box in which I had brought down pickles, herbs, cukes & arugula.

My favorite dish of the day had to be that squash casserole. Definitely one to make at home -- anyone have a link to the recipe? I'm pretty sure I've read about it on eGForums before.

And the crispy on the outside, soft on the inside, hush puppies were perfect for sopping up all the juices from the various stews -- the VD/Brunswick (DtC & Malawry); Okra & Tomato (me & Jason); Okra, Tomato, Andouille & Beans (brought by a local attendee) -- in all their juicy goodness. Of the meats I loved the goat the best, and the chicken. Yeah, yeah the pig was good too. :wink:

gallery_2_1704_11655.jpg

I notice in this picture of potato salad in progress, that Dean had held back my prize tomato from Friday night dinner! :hmmm::raz: And, don't you just love that Marlene dug right in with all her jewelry on? :laugh:

gallery_2_1704_49002.jpg

I love the look of intensity on Varmint's face as he works on the meat.

gallery_2_1704_45789.jpg

This is my favorite image. Ronnie looks like a kid in a pork-candy store! :laugh:

Is it over? Can I sleep now?

What an amazing event! And I made it through the whole thing this time with not much more than a steam burn.

There are so many people who made this a success. Rochelle, mommy to be, who was on her feet far more than she proabably should have been, Dave the Cook, Chef de Cusine, Janet and Heather. Scott who tended the pig alone during the dark hours.

Special mention needs to go to Joe and Sharon Collins who cheerfully performed any task we asigned, from peeling potatoes, to making tea, to making store runs.

But most of all, hats should be doffed to Mrs. Varmint who remained cheerful throughout the home invasion that took place this weekend. If I could only have one friend in this world, I'd want that person to be Cella. Thank you.

We cooked, we laughed, we ate. It was wonderful. We raised a glass to Brooks and company and to all the Southern States. For us the reward was seeing everyone eat and enjoying themselves. What else did we need?

It really doesnt' get much better than this. Thanks all.

(jewellry washes, Rachel. :raz: )

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Absolutely gorgeous guys. Having installed our girls at university yesterday we returned to an empty house--unusual for Labour Day Sunday. Thanks for filling the void--and then some.

And Rachel, I had to adjust my set. Looks like an Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat in a mould, but please describe the flavour(s)!

Cheers,

Jamie

from the thinly veneered desk of:

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

www.vancouvermagazine.com

Foodblog: In the Belly of the Feast - Eating BC

"Profumo profondo della mia carne"

but please describe the flavour(s)!

Amazingly, it tastes exactly like JELL-O.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

There were lots of other cameras snapping away all weekend, I can't wait to see some of those images (hopefully none of me all sweaty! :raz:)

Other fond memories and items of special note:

• JAZ's amazing spiced walnuts and cocktail creations.
    Speaking of cocktails, Katie Loeb's Lemoncello makes an excellent Arnold Palmer.
    Rabbi Ribeye telling me my pickles tasted like the ones made by his grandfather.
    Watching the smoke rise over the tennis courts and through the trees.
    Getting our hands all squishy with peach juice.
    Having plenty of hands on duty to dice veggies, peel eggs, watch pots, make supply runs, etc. Priceless.

I just want to thank everyone for sharing this adventure with all of us... it's been fun and enlightening to watch, read, and enjoy this event vicariously through your words and photos.

Definitely makes me want to venture south for the next “Occasional Pig Pickin’” :biggrin:

sarah

Always take a good look at what you're about to eat. It's not so important to know what it is, but it's critical to know what it was. --Unknown

I'm tired and am working on the clean-up. If you're in the area . . . . :wink:

Thanks to every wonderful person who made this event possible. I'm not going to go through a list of names, as I'll miss a few. That alone should tell you how many people it took to make this event a success. I'm humbled by the amount of talent that was assembled in my kitchen that was able to work together as a team. The food that was put out yesterday was absolutely tops!

We celebrated life yesterday, and we recognized how lucky we are to have friends and family and to break bread (or hush puppies) together on such a lovely day. We were able to have this convivial feast, unlike many of our brothers and sisters in Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama and Florida. As you finish up your Labor Day weekend celebrations, please remember these men, women and children. Please find a way in your hearts and wallets to help them out.

Thanks everyone!

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

My favorite dish of the day had to be that squash casserole. Definitely one to make at home -- anyone have a link to the recipe? I'm pretty sure I've read about it on eGForums before.

Let me add my request for a link to this recipe. We love squash -- eat it several times a week -- and I'd really be interested in finding a new way to prepare it.

Rachel, who made it?

Edited by Jaymes (log)

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

It looks like a great time was had by all. I missed you guys. Maybe next year we can have something at my house. Maybe a big shrimp and crawfish extravaganza with music and beer made about 300 yards from my house. And moonshine made somewhere near my house.

We'll work on it and look forward to it.

Brooks

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

1089.2 miles and 57 hours later we Survived the Second Occasional Varmint's Pig Pickin'. And on to the show

gallery_23695_426_219481.jpg

I would love to show what was for dinner saturday night but ....uh it was gone...tasty too. We pretty much showed up in time to eat so only pitched in to the donation box.

gallery_23695_426_213575.jpg

everyone looks very happy with their dinners

gallery_23695_426_322421.jpg

Senior Pig has arrived for his tennis match

gallery_23695_426_227950.jpg

at least half of him

and thats my saturday evening kids....stay tuned

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

After waking up sunday afternoon we rode back to Deans to see what we could do, menial tasks at best a little put this here put that there. Then it came time for the actually pickin, shredding, and hacking.....and the flies

ooops first was the Chicken

gallery_23695_426_380441.jpg

gallery_23695_426_549073.jpg

then the pork shoulders came off the grill

gallery_23695_426_302281.jpg

gallery_23695_426_12589.jpg

then the flies.....as we gather to swat them, fanning Dean in the process

gallery_23695_426_478040.jpg

if Yan Can ...Dean Can too

gallery_23695_426_511963.jpg

A little help is on the way

gallery_23695_426_338745.jpg

more??? theres always more

tracey

Edited by rooftop1000 (log)

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

My Webpage

and they lived happily ever after ...oh wait wrong story

Now we cant leave out Miss Cheryl who wouldnt come to a Pig Pickin in anything less than her finest pearls

gallery_23695_426_7349.jpg

and we cant forget Karen trying to vaccume the flies away from our wonderful buffet

gallery_23695_426_248455.jpg

and the crowd moving in for the hush puppies

gallery_23695_426_777088.jpg

line up now no ditching

gallery_23695_426_473751.jpg

I think I ate too much

gallery_23695_426_421857.jpg

Ok I'm done and done in

gonna do it again someday right :biggrin:

tracey

Edited by rooftop1000 (log)

Maxine

My Webpage

I think this is the recipe Dave started with at least.

Squash Casserole

But we also added Asiago cheese and a few other cheeses we found in the fridge.

I also have to confess I didn't take a single picture. I was just too busy. But Jason was our on the spot documentor, and I know I saw Gifted Gourmet taking a lot of photos as well.

I had to have beef tonight. I couldn't face any more pork :biggrin:

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

1. I hope Varmint is keeping that gigantic RedHook beer banner, to hang in his office.

2. I see Dr. Pepper under the table, but no Mr. Pibb. What's up with that? Isn't North Carolina Mr. Pibb territory?

3. The tee-shirt looks great, especially accessorized with Mikimoto pearls.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

1. I hope Varmint is keeping that gigantic RedHook beer banner, to hang in his office.

2. I see Dr. Pepper under the table, but no Mr. Pibb. What's up with that? Isn't North Carolina Mr. Pibb territory?

3. The tee-shirt looks great, especially accessorized with Mikimoto pearls.

Actually, my son won the banner in the raffle. I've been told that it's going up in our great room :wink::smile:

The two local pops were Cheerwine -- a damned fine runner up to Dr. Brown's Black Cherry and Sun Drop which is, as Varmint described it, a local version of Mountain Dew. Jason, thinking strictly of the others, grabbed a few bottles of Dr. Pepper just in case but I don't think they moved at all.

Edited to add: I didn't see any Mr. Pibb :raz: but Coke products always seemed to be slightly out of reach, compared to Pepsi's, in most stores I visited. I think Raleigh is a Pepsi town.

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

I've put the hush puppy recipe into RecipeGullet for interested parties. They don't suck, as we say.

I'm home and feeling refreshed after a nap and a dinner of leftover Q and slaw. I had a great time this weekend--I especially can't say enough about the fabulous kitchen crew Jason snapped above (Heather, Dave, Marlene and Janet). Special thanks to Dean and Marcella and family for the wonderful Southern hospitality. (I think my favorite quote from this weekend was Marcella saying authoritatively, "Tomboys are PRINCESSES" when some kids were asking what a tomboy was.)

BTW, for all future Baby Jones fans...Baby Jones really likes BBQ.

Are you on drugs, Shaw? CHEERWINE!!! Not Mr. Pibb!

We had plenty of Cheerwine and Diet Cheerwine.

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Just wanted to add my 2 cents - Thanks to Varmint for the extending the hospitality and patience required to host a party of like 100 folks. Man, was he sweatin' in front of the pig, gloves arms and knives akimbo, like a pork chopping machine. Pork was great (we had beans with some leftovers in this evening for dinner), goat was great, but the shrimp on Saturday night was the best thing I think I've eaten in like a month and a half. Actually, maybe just the broth and the biscuit I dipped in it was enough to take that title. So I'll be searching for that recipe - Someone said it was posted.

And thanks to everyone who made the event a success. I hope to be in more on the cooking side next time - E-Gullet's new to me, but man, y'all share my obsessions...

Rooftop - Glad to see that you made it home safe on the bike!

~Nibbs

Cheerwine isn't really a Dr. Pepper competitor, though, is it? In the past, I've just noticed that in the Southeast, especially Georgia and the Carolinas, the Pibb product from Coca-Cola often occupies Dr. Pepper's spot on the soda fountain. Or at least it did back when I spent a summer at Wake Forest in the 1980s.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Ohhhh, I'm sooooo jealous! :sad:

I never though I'd say this, but this makes me wish I'd stayed in NC! Wish I was close enough to come and enjoy. Alas, the vicarious experience is wonderful, I love putting the faces to the names/monikers and seeing what great cooks you all are!

Can someone post the link to the shrimp and biscuits? Wow, that looked amazing! Sounds like a meal to me :)

Cheerwine isn't really a Dr. Pepper competitor, though, is it? In the past, I've just noticed that in the Southeast, especially Georgia and the Carolinas, the Pibb product from Coca-Cola often occupies Dr. Pepper's spot on the soda fountain. Or at least it did back when I spent a summer at Wake Forest in the 1980s.

There was in fact no Pibb to be found at the local drugstore chain where we bought all the soda. In terms of local brands, we were able to get Cheerwine, as well as Sun Drop. Ronnie can attest to this, as he was with me on the beverage run.

And lets face it, Pibb sucks. Its not worthy of a eG sponsored event. Its a pale imitation of the original.