• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Varmint's Pig Pickin', Version 2 -- 9/4/05

Varmint

gallery_2_1704_28286.jpg

Heather cutting up some collards

gallery_2_1704_64774.jpg

Rochelle stirring the Brunswick Stew (sans Fat Squirrel)

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

We're all too busy cooking to be posting, Zilla--you'll have to make do with Jason's photos for now. The slaw, potato salad and squash casserole are coming together nicely. Collards are underway. Brunswick stew is complete (YES!). Most of my MEP for hushpuppies is done, I'm just waiting for bacon fat to render. And I just heard something about bourbon pecan squares showing up...I better go investigate!

Dean took a number of BBQ Pig and Goat shots this morning while we were all getting up and having breakfast -- I'm about to run out and get some extra supplies at the supermarket, and I will post them in thread after I get back, but in the meantime you can view them here:

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?act=mo...lbum&album=1704

Here's two to start:

gallery_2_1704_84474.jpg

gallery_2_1704_93370.jpg

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

That's the goat with the bacon all over it.

Even better. :biggrin:

I am jealous of you all, and am planning on how to make my children pay for being children and being subject to children's tiredness and stress which makes me, the mother, want to keep them home quietly.

Someday when they are trying to make me feel guilty about the many wrongs I imagine I do, I will quietly intone: "Remember that Pig-Pickin'?"

Sigh.

Edited by Carrot Top (log)

gallery_2_1704_11655.jpg

Marlene making Potato Salad

gallery_2_1704_39903.jpg

Joe and Sharon chopping Okra

gallery_2_1704_57246.jpg

Okra -- in honor of our Louisiana friends

gallery_2_1704_33660.jpg

Bacon

Oh my goodness. I've never seen anything like this!

Looks like you all are having so much fun.. feasting on incredible food.. thanks for sharing it with people far far away who never thought it was possible to see a pig in a bathtub :smile:

Now my third and fourth favorite photos are of the evil black hands reaching into the lovely pile of pork. . .and Ronnie Suburban looking gleefully excited as he reaches in with his tongs. . .

Really, this these four photos could be put together for the start of quite an exciting and strange children's book.

Oh. And the food looks absolutely mouthwatering! :biggrin:

Other than the UNC hat, everything looks amazing.  Props to Varmint and everyone who made this whole thing possible.

BryanZ, the reason everything looks amazing is because the pig pickin' was headed up by a TARHEEL named Varmint!! No Dookie could pull this off ... successfully ...

Great job, Dean!! BTW, Dean, are you using Pistol Pete?

Folks, may I have one virtual order of hush puppies, please? I promise I'll share ...

Russell J. Wong aka "rjwong"

Food and I, we go way back ...

Now my third and fourth favorite photos are of the evil black hands reaching into the lovely pile of pork. . .and Ronnie Suburban looking gleefully excited as he reaches in with his tongs. . .

Really, this these four photos could be put together for the start of quite an exciting and strange children's book.

Oh. And the food looks absolutely mouthwatering! :biggrin:

Or this year's eGullet Christmas card.

from the thinly veneered desk of:

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

www.vancouvermagazine.com

Foodblog: In the Belly of the Feast - Eating BC

"Profumo profondo della mia carne"

gallery_2_1704_818.jpg

Come and git it!

gallery_2_1704_537.jpg

gallery_2_1704_92621.jpg

gallery_2_1704_85012.jpg

The merry kitchen crew: Marlene Newell, Janet Zimmerman (JAZ), Dave Scantland, Heather Shorter, Rochelle Reid-Myers (Malawry)

gallery_2_1704_17277.jpg

Hush puppies by Malawry

gallery_2_1704_60227.jpg

gallery_2_1704_27169.jpg

There's always room for...

gallery_2_1704_4844.jpg

Rachel Perlow and her magnificent Technicolor mould

gallery_2_1704_28221.jpg

gallery_2_1704_36905.jpg

There's always room for...

gallery_2_1704_27169.jpg

Rachel,

That has to be the PURTIEST dessert my sweet-lovin' eyes have ever seen! :wub:

Have you named the various colors of the dessert? Starting from the top, I see Black Cherry, Bubble Gum, Aquamarine, Sky Blue and Cucumber. A dish this colorful could be the official dessert of the Crayola Corporation.

Say, Maggie: I'm thinking if I gas up the Fressermobile and swing by your place, we could make it to Raleigh in 12 hours or so...

There are two sides to every story and one side to a Möbius band.

borschtbelt.blogspot.com

Say, Maggie:  I'm thinking if I gas up the Fressermobile and swing by your place, we could make it to Raleigh in 12 hours or so...

Now you offer! :angry::wink:

We can hope that there's leftover pig! I just know that the caramel cake will be gone, though.

One of my (very) few regrets about the Pig Pickin' Part One is that all the pig was gone before I emerged from the kitchen. Never got a hush puppy either, come to think of it.

Party on, good people. It looks like a rager.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com