• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Varmint's Pig Pickin', Version 2 -- 9/4/05

Varmint

I have a favor to ask of the local folks. Does anyone have a kids swimming pool that's on its last legs? I really don't want to brine the pig in the bathtub again, and a pool would be a viable alternative. I will clean it out with lots of bleach when we're done if you want it back.

Otherwise, I'm off to WalMart!

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

I do want to give anyone who plans on helping out with the cooking a heads up on some logistics.  The primary purpose of doing a pig pickin' is to break bread together in an old North Carolina tradition.  It's a celebration of the harvest, and of friendship, and of the hard work that went into it.

With this goal in mind, I also strive to maintain some semblance of authenticity with the meal.  So if I reject an offer to make a particular dish, it's not because I think it's a disgusting idea (except maybe for the ground beef, hot dogs and beans idea -- :raz:), it's because it doesn't fit in MY concept of a pig pickin'. 

When we get together to cook, I'll take a similar approach.  I will in effect be the executive chef, asking people to put together dishes the way I want them.  Is it selfish?  Yup, but it's also to give most of you something you've never experienced.  And I'm committed to making it better than what long-time pig pickers have experienced. 

Regardless, this will be a hoot, and there will be so much food and drink, we'll need wheelbarrows to cart many of us out of here.  And I'll have plenty of aspirin, too.  And finally, I'll try my best not to act like Gordon Ramsay and cuss Brooks out every 5 minutes.

Bring on the pig.  Thirteen days.  Whoo hoooo!

At your command, Capt. Varmint! So, you prefer more traditional deviled eggs, or something different? And what time Sat 9/3?

Here are the ones I'm considering: basic recipe (mayo-mustard-vinegar), Cousin Judy's (Old Bay, Worchestershire), Pimento Cheese (Cheddar, Vidalia, garlic, pimentos), Bloody Marys (sundried tomatoes, horseradish, etc.), Blue Devils (blue cheese, bacon) or Devil Made me Do It (habanero hot sauce, curry). I can do two kinds, probably not more with the volume. Others can - and knowing you, will - weigh in but the decision of El Jefe Varmint is final!

:blink: Damn! Those all sound good!

Debbie, there needs to be a pile of books for sale on the Deviled Egg table! No doubt they'll all be gone by the end of the Pickin' along with the eggs!

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

I do want to give anyone who plans on helping out with the cooking a heads up on some logistics.  The primary purpose of doing a pig pickin' is to break bread together in an old North Carolina tradition.  It's a celebration of the harvest, and of friendship, and of the hard work that went into it.

With this goal in mind, I also strive to maintain some semblance of authenticity with the meal.  So if I reject an offer to make a particular dish, it's not because I think it's a disgusting idea (except maybe for the ground beef, hot dogs and beans idea -- :raz:), it's because it doesn't fit in MY concept of a pig pickin'. 

When we get together to cook, I'll take a similar approach.  I will in effect be the executive chef, asking people to put together dishes the way I want them.  Is it selfish?  Yup, but it's also to give most of you something you've never experienced.  And I'm committed to making it better than what long-time pig pickers have experienced. 

Regardless, this will be a hoot, and there will be so much food and drink, we'll need wheelbarrows to cart many of us out of here.  And I'll have plenty of aspirin, too.  And finally, I'll try my best not to act like Gordon Ramsay and cuss Brooks out every 5 minutes.

Bring on the pig.  Thirteen days.  Whoo hoooo!

At your command, Capt. Varmint! So, you prefer more traditional deviled eggs, or something different? And what time Sat 9/3?

Here are the ones I'm considering: basic recipe (mayo-mustard-vinegar), Cousin Judy's (Old Bay, Worchestershire), Pimento Cheese (Cheddar, Vidalia, garlic, pimentos), Bloody Marys (sundried tomatoes, horseradish, etc.), Blue Devils (blue cheese, bacon) or Devil Made me Do It (habanero hot sauce, curry). I can do two kinds, probably not more with the volume. Others can - and knowing you, will - weigh in but the decision of El Jefe Varmint is final!

Damn, I have to choose only two? This is what I suggest: first, is there any way we can make more? I know 6 dozen sounds like a lot, but deviled eggs are incredibly special and highly coveted. What I suggest is that we make at least 10 dozen (yeah, I know!). We can cover the costs. We boil the eggs on Saturday, let the crew peel and cut them, and make the filling. We fill them on Sunday as we're getting ready to serve. With 3 or 4 people on egg duty, we could put out a lot of deviled eggs in a hurry.

Debbie, don't underestimate how much help you'll have here. That is why this event is so much fun. And the music will be very, very good!

With that in mind, and with the hope that we can do 10 dozen eggs (wow!), I think that we need to make half of those the traditional variety. Then I suggest making two other types, preferably pimento cheese and bloody mary's. I can be influenced toward any of the choices, because they all sound great. Regardless, these will be incredible.

Is this do-able? Who's willing to help Ms. Moose????

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

I'll help. I'll help! Ooh ooh, can we have the blue cheese ones? Pretty please?

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Speaking of the music for the crew, I will have a broad assortment of tunes. We learned last time that it's impossible to please everyone, so what will be on my CD player is actually a collection of about 30 CDs that I made for the L'il Varmints. We call these tunes "Kids' Mixes", and they were made to teach the kids about all different types of music.

Thus, we have pop, country, R&B, punk, surf, zydeco, new wave, alternative, folk, and more. In a crowd, they work very, very well. I'm pretty sure that you'll sing along with at least every third song.

Here's a typical list of artists on a given CD:

Beck

Neville Brothers

Don McLean

Little Richard

The Cars

Starlight Vocal Band

Foo Fighters

Van Morrison

Uncle Tupelo

Queen

Stevie Wonder

Coldplay

Johnny Cash

Bo Donaldson & the Haywoods

Depeche Mode

The Surfaris

They Might Be Giants

Cher

Ramones

Percy Sledge

Gary Numan

Twisted Sister

Audioslave

Rosie Ledet

You'll find yourself singing along to a lot of the songs, and you (and the people around you) might be embarrassed to admit that you're singing along to them. I think you'll like this set up, as it really is a fun trip down memory lane, covering a lot of genres.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Dude. Ten dozen eggs is nothing -- that's one egg (two halves) per person. Brooks, in his ultimate sorrow, will likely consume two dozen all by himself.

I agree. Make MORE EGGS!!!!!

Get a couple of THESE and we'll be jammin'.

I have some funky party tapes that I made back in the eighties that have a pretty wild mix of tunes on them if you'd like me to bring them along. One tape has four versions of "Heard it Through the Grapevine" in a row (Marvin Gaye, Gladys Knight, Creedence and the punk version by The Slits), there's lots of Motown and old New Wave too. I also own two different Best of the Seventies and Best of the Eighties sets of CDs. Good no-brainer party music.

Just let me know if you want me to pack any of these.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

I'll be happy to help out with the eggs too. I usually turn out 72 (144 halves) for my holiday party every December, so I have some familiarity with the task.

I've been looking through Debbie's book and the recipes all look great. I'd love the opportunity to work alongside the master and learn a bit :smile:

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

I love those egg things! We don't get stuff like that here. I'm going to try to have the book by the time I depart, but I agree with Katie, subject to Chef Varmint's approval, that Debbie should have stacks of books on hand!

Marlene

I love those egg things!

It's probably worth a new topic, but do they work?

Send me some and I'll be the official tester. :raz:

Marlene

It's probably worth a new topic, but do they work?

Dave-dearest, discussion already in progress! see jgarner's post ... :hmmm:

and,yes, they do actually work ... :wink:

testing the Eggstractor ... my error .. not always apparently

Here is the key to the Eggstractor, tapping the small end of the egg on this piercer.

Then the large end on the table, and then place the egg in the device.

Mike Zaffino observes, "As a consumer I think it's a poor investment. Use your fingers and save some money."

We tested out all different sizes of eggs, and just as makers claim, large eggs work best. Still, none of our eggs came out perfect on the first shot.

Out of five the Eggstractor gets zero!

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

I think 10doz devilled eggs sounds kind of skimpy, myself. People normally eat these things by the fistful! However, I trust the pros. And I'll be glad to pitch in.

Dude. Ten dozen eggs is nothing -- that's one egg (two halves) per person. Brooks, in his ultimate sorrow, will likely consume two dozen all by himself.

More likely all of the egg will be on your face, Chicken Boy.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

You really should be familiarizing yourself with the Judges tastes and preferences. Not Garth Hudson.

Marlene