• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Varmint's Pig Pickin', Version 2 -- 9/4/05

Varmint

Dave, I'm happy to assist you with that expressive VD Stew. And anybody else who needs a hand can have it. I can hold my own in the kitchen after all. :rolleyes:

Would you like some delicious nutria or alligator meat for that VD business? It can't hurt, I don't think.

Hmmm...I always wanted to try that large rodent! You bring it I'll eat it. This is one non-vege future vet. Alligator's not bad either :smile:

- Weka

"Things which matter most must never be at the mercy of things which matter least."

- Goethe

<-- Anyone sign up to make a jello mold yet? :wink:

That would be very, very cool.

Rachel -

If that hotel fridge plan fails we might be able to stash it at our house in nearby Cary, North Cackal...

- Weka

*edited multiple times as my spelling ability has left the house*

Edited by weka (log)

"Things which matter most must never be at the mercy of things which matter least."

- Goethe

I just get green splodge at that location with Google Earth

"Green Splodge" pretty much describes it, though you might want to back out a bit with the focus. If you do, you will then be able to see "green splodge with blue roof". It's amazing technology, though. I spent an hour with my 15 year old last night, who pretty much won't do anything with me for an hour other than play tennis, looking at cities and landmarks. The Great Wall, The Kremlin, D.C., New York, all of the places in the world that I have lived, Mt Everest, tons of pyramid sites , Mt St Helen's, Danali, Everest. I am just stunned by the technology. I especially like putting in a new destination and "lifting off" (youngest son's term) to go to the next destination. Moscow to Los Angeles in 10 seconds-and the on board meals served are much better than any airline today. Last night they served grilled pork chops and corn with asparagus and watermelon sorbet for dessert.

Excuse me, but how does one play tennis while looking at cities and landmarks? Pretty shoddy tennis match I should think. *Plimp* "look there's the Eiffel Tower" *Plimp* "There's the Louvre" *Plimp* "There's the very angry Gendarme running towards us with a tennis ball in his mouth!"

All right maybe I shouldn't have opened that beer bottle.

- Weka

- Goethe

Just a reminder: if you're planning on coming to NC and buying any liquor here, don't count on finding anything other than the ordinary.  We have a state-owned liquor store system, and their selections are awful.

Save strangely they have happened upon Elephant (Marula) Fruit Liquor frome southern Africa recently...a lesser known drink called Amarula that is kick ass over ice! I know, I know, naught to do with a Southern Pig Pickin' but worth noting for the adventurous among you out there.

- Weka

- Goethe

I just get green splodge at that location with Google Earth

"Green Splodge" pretty much describes it, though you might want to back out a bit with the focus. If you do, you will then be able to see "green splodge with blue roof". It's amazing technology, though. I spent an hour with my 15 year old last night, who pretty much won't do anything with me for an hour other than play tennis, looking at cities and landmarks. The Great Wall, The Kremlin, D.C., New York, all of the places in the world that I have lived, Mt Everest, tons of pyramid sites , Mt St Helen's, Danali, Everest. I am just stunned by the technology. I especially like putting in a new destination and "lifting off" (youngest son's term) to go to the next destination. Moscow to Los Angeles in 10 seconds-and the on board meals served are much better than any airline today. Last night they served grilled pork chops and corn with asparagus and watermelon sorbet for dessert.

Excuse me, but how does one play tennis while looking at cities and landmarks? Pretty shoddy tennis match I should think. *Plimp* "look there's the Eiffel Tower" *Plimp* "There's the Louvre" *Plimp* "There's the very angry Gendarme running towards us with a tennis ball in his mouth!"

All right maybe I shouldn't have opened that beer bottle.

- Weka

You should go back through all of my other posts. It would take a while, but you seemed to enjoy this one so much I am sure that you can find some entertainment in many of the others. :raz:

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

I just returned from Sam's Club with the following.

25 pounds AP flour

25 pounds self rising flour

20 pounds sugar

7 pounds light brown sugar

4 pounds unsalted butter

4 pounds salted butter

40 pounds salt

35 pounds soft liquid shortening

500 spoons

250 bowls

300 napkins

300 cups

350 plates

300 forks

2 large rolls of foil

80 55 gallon trashbags

48 teabags -- each to make 1 gallon of iced tea

Oh, and lots of Prilosec!!! :wink:

I priced chickens at $3.15 each for fresh 4-pounders.

And by the way -- 8 days.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

I just returned from Sam's Club with the following.

25 pounds AP flour

25 pounds self rising flour

20 pounds sugar

7 pounds light brown sugar

4 pounds unsalted butter

4 pounds salted butter

40 pounds salt

35 pounds soft liquid shortening

500 spoons

250 bowls

300 napkins

300 cups

350 plates

300 forks

2 large rolls of foil

80 55 gallon trashbags

48 teabags -- each to make 1 gallon of iced tea

Oh, and lots of Prilosec!!!  :wink:

I priced chickens at $3.15 each for fresh 4-pounders.

And by the way -- 8 days.

No paper towels?

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

79 cents a pound for honestly fresh chicken is pretty good. Buy two dozen.

Dave needs some to practice with. Better get three dozen.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

I'm not a paper towel kind of guy. I like regular kitchen towels. That's why we have a washing machine!

But I'll pick some up later this week.

One week from today. Wish our friends down on the Gulf Coast all the best.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

I had a nice pig cooker delivered to my house this morning, complements of two very kind individuals. Yeah!

Early forcast calls for temperatures in the mid-80s with low humidity. Down to low 60s at night. That wouldn't suck!

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

I'm not a paper towel kind of guy.  I like regular kitchen towels.  That's why we have a washing machine!

But I'll pick some up later this week. 

One week from today.  Wish our friends down on the Gulf Coast all the best.

I will need some paper towels for Thursday. I guess I can strike the paper products from my list, or will you need extra for the staff meal?

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

That wouldn't suck!

I am pleased to see that the official phrase from the last pig pickin' has been picked up on again this time around.

I picked up a big 35lb bottle of soy oil and some sacks of white cornmeal for the hush puppies today. Varm, are Vidalias still easily found down around there? If so I'll wait to buy them until after I arrive--they're best when fresh.

Habanero vodka.

I have extra, including habanero tequila. Want to have a taste off?

I had to give some of it away, so I only have about 300 mL left.

OTOH, I have some new hot pepper vodka, but it will have been infusing for about a week and a half.

Annoying thing is for this particular pepper, the market didn't have labeled as to what type. I shoulda bought Scotch Bonnet just so I knew what they were.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

That wouldn't suck!

I picked up a big 35lb bottle of soy oil and some sacks of white cornmeal for the hush puppies today. Varm, are Vidalias still easily found down around there? If so I'll wait to buy them until after I arrive--they're best when fresh.

OK, so we have tons of frying oil -- 70 pounds worth!

Vidalias are everywhere, so no problem.

6 days, y'all. SIX DAYS.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

OK, so we have tons of frying oil -- 70 pounds worth!

Vidalias are everywhere, so no problem.

6 days, y'all.  SIX DAYS.

I wanted to be sure that the oil for the puppies was fresh. I'd rather not use the chicken oil from staff meal night.

Hey, that reminds me...the other ingredient I will need is buttermilk. I assume you have better sources down there than I do up here for the stuff. I can buy enough for biscuits and anything else on Friday or Saturday--just let me know how much everybody needs.

Hey, that reminds me...the other ingredient I will need is buttermilk. I assume you have better sources down there than I do up here for the stuff. I can buy enough for biscuits and anything else on Friday or Saturday--just let me know how much everybody needs.

Heh heh heh, do I ever have a good source of buttermilk. How about very fresh, whole fat buttermilk in half-gallon glass bottles from a local dairy? That's the only buttermilk I use, and it's available at a fair price just up the street at the Whole Foods.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

May I have your attention. May I have your attention, please.

Ladies and gentlemen, roasted goat WILL be on the menu at this year's pig pickin'.

Now, can someone please tell me how the hell to cook a goat? Seriously, I haven't a clue. And am I wasting my time doing this?

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

No suggestions on cooking the goat, but I retraced thru the threads but couldn't locate information on whether y'all needed help on Sunday afternoon as well. The hubby and I will be getting in too late to help on Saturday - but we're both swell prep cooks should that still be needed on Sunday!! :biggrin:

Live and learn. Die and get food. That's the Southern way.

No suggestions on cooking the goat, but I retraced thru the threads but couldn't locate information on whether y'all needed help on Sunday afternoon as well.  The hubby and I will be getting in too late to help on Saturday - but we're both swell prep cooks should that still be needed on Sunday!! :biggrin:

Don't worry -- we'll put you to work.

So, who wants to research the cooking of whole goat? This is obviously not a Southern thing (unless we're thinking of Southern North America -- aka Mexico), but I'm thinking of lots of lard, lemon, oregano and rosemary. I know you're supposed to cook it low and slow.

Ronnie, you want to be responsible for this??? :wink:

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

May I have your attention.  May I have your attention, please.

Ladies and gentlemen, roasted goat WILL be on the menu at this year's pig pickin'.

Now, can someone please tell me how the hell to cook a goat?  Seriously, I haven't a clue.  And am I wasting my time doing this?

this is all I found so far

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/re...6_12807,00.html

http://www.inmamaskitchen.com/RECIPES/RECI...asted_lamb.html

T

Edited by rooftop1000 (log)

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

No suggestions on cooking the goat, but I retraced thru the threads but couldn't locate information on whether y'all needed help on Sunday afternoon as well.  The hubby and I will be getting in too late to help on Saturday - but we're both swell prep cooks should that still be needed on Sunday!! :biggrin:

Don't worry -- we'll put you to work.

So, who wants to research the cooking of whole goat? This is obviously not a Southern thing (unless we're thinking of Southern North America -- aka Mexico), but I'm thinking of lots of lard, lemon, oregano and rosemary. I know you're supposed to cook it low and slow.

Ronnie, you want to be responsible for this??? :wink:

LOL! I'm not sure the best time for my maiden voyage in goat-cookery is when there will be upwards of 150 dedicated epicures standing by with forks in hand. :wink::smile:

That said, back on A Cook's Tour I remember seeing Bourdain's Puebla friends cook several goats in pits they dug, using hot embers and banana leaves, IIRC. And, I have at least a couple of books in which whole goat cooking is covered. I'll check them out as soon as I get home.

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

No, you are not wasting your time roasting a goat, Varmint. Besides the fact that roast goat is a most delicious thing (and one that experimental eGulleters at a pig-pickin' will surely be excited to taste if they have not before) it is also quite a cool dude thing to do. A macho thing, a Manly thing.

You will enjoy it.

I hope.

Anyway, I remember at least one thread on eG discussing how to roast a goat, perhaps even two threads. And although I have the patience and the expertise to roast a goat myself, (for it is always amusing watching petite females doing Manly things, don't cha think?) I don't have the ability to post a link to these threads.

Might entail a broken fingernail or something, and I just cain't risk it.

But they are there, I promise you. Search. . .and truth shall be found. :wink: