• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Varmint's Pig Pickin', Version 2 -- 9/4/05

Varmint

re: eggs, more unsolicited advice :wink: Any chance of getting small or medium sized eggs? Large deviled eggs are quite filling, leaving less room for pig and other deviled eggs! :biggrin:

Let's update the menu, with who's in charge of sourcing the ingredients and preparation:

Eastern NC-style, whole hog barbecue, with sauce (Varmint)

lots more stuff

Rainbow Jello Mold (Rachel)

Desserts:

Viennese style desserts (Carrot Top)

etc.

What have I missed?

Uh, the Rainbow Jello Mold is a dessert, not a side. In my book at least. Do you all still consider Jello a salad down there? There's no fruit or shredded carrot or anything in there to make it a salad vs dessert.

Also, re the Jello mold and my previous request to borrow a hot pot or electric kettle. I know you have plenty of kitchens space, but having an easily accessible source of boiling water over at least a 3 hour period would be very helpful. That's why I figured I'd do it at the hotel on Friday rather than take over a burner and refrigerator space for that period of time at your house.

Can I make some okra and tomatoes?

Oh goody! I've made this according to Brooks' instructions before and it's great. I'm glad I'll get to taste the expertly made version.

re: eggs, more unsolicited advice :wink: Any chance of getting small or medium sized eggs? Large deviled eggs are quite filling, leaving less room for pig and other deviled eggs! :biggrin:
Let's update the menu, with who's in charge of sourcing the ingredients and preparation:

Eastern NC-style, whole hog barbecue, with sauce (Varmint)

lots more stuff

Rainbow Jello Mold (Rachel)

Desserts:

Viennese style desserts (Carrot Top)

etc.

What have I missed?

Uh, the Rainbow Jello Mold is a dessert, not a side. In my book at least. Do you all still consider Jello a salad down there? There's no fruit or shredded carrot or anything in there to make it a salad vs dessert.

Also, re the Jello mold and my previous request to borrow a hot pot or electric kettle. I know you have plenty of kitchens space, but having an easily accessible source of boiling water over at least a 3 hour period would be very helpful. That's why I figured I'd do it at the hotel on Friday rather than take over a burner and refrigerator space for that period of time at your house.

Can I make some okra and tomatoes?

Oh goody! I've made this according to Brooks' instructions before and it's great. I'm glad I'll get to taste the expertly made version.

The eggs will be what they'll be. No need to worry about size. We do have some self control, Rachel! Although, now that you mentioned it, why not quail eggs? We could eat 2 dozen each! :wink:

As far as the Jello, I'll put it under the dessert list. The loft kitchen probably won't be used, so it'll be ideal, I'd think, but that's your call. I don't have a hot pot or electric kettle.

Edited by Varmint (log)

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Rachel. . .there is one thing that worries me about your setting up to do this in the hotel room. If they are "bringing in" a small fridge to your room, two thoughts come to mind.

First is that it takes time for the fridge to get to its correct cooling temperature. . and if you are going to be working within a certain close time frame, the thing may just not get itself to temp quick enough.

Second is just the idea of using this small (possibly rarely used) piece of equipment in the first place. Who knows if it will even work well. This can often be a problem in "catering" type situations which is sort of what you are doing. . .that the equipment sometimes just is not too great in terms of doing what it should do.

I would think that Varmint's little extra kitchen would be easier and "safer" in terms of potential results. But if you do decide to do it in the hotel, be sure that they test the fridge and set it up ahead of time for you. . . :smile:

Potato salad (Marlene? -- Varmint to source potatoes, Marlene in charge of the rest)

If there is an authentic Southern potato salad you want me to use, can you provide it, or point me in the right direction? Otherwise, I'd make my own, which is not particularly southern!

Of course, I can always find one in the Cotton Country Collection!

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Potato salad (Marlene? -- Varmint to source potatoes, Marlene in charge of the rest)

If there is an authentic Southern potato salad you want me to use, can you provide it, or point me in the right direction? Otherwise, I'd make my own, which is not particularly southern!

Brooks, Dave or Debbie, please get Marlene a quintessential recipe for Southern-style potato salad.

Thank you. Thank you very much.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Brooks, Dave or Debbie, please get Marlene a quintessential recipe for Southern-style potato salad.

Thank you. Thank you very much.

First you get some taters..........

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

That's where I am going to go for one, so you might as well. I promise it won't be bad.

There is one in there, Mustard Mayonnaise Potato Salad. It's simple enough!

Marlene

At the request of a hard-core hard-boiled-egg-hater, would it be possible for the potato-salad maker(s) to set aside some before adding the hard-cooked egg? Feel free to help yourself to my share of deviled eggs (apologies to Debbie M.). On the other hand, I could bypass the tater salad altogether and leave that much more room for pig and dessert!

CBHall

At the request of a hard-core hard-boiled-egg-hater, would it be possible for the potato-salad maker(s) to set aside some before adding the hard-cooked egg?  Feel free to help yourself to my share of deviled eggs (apologies to Debbie M.).  On the other hand, I could bypass the tater salad altogether and leave that much more room for pig and dessert!

Although this is an entirely reasonable request, particularly in light of the deviled egg trade-off, this is one situation where it'll be tough. Because we're feeding so many people who each have their own preferences, it's going to be very difficult to accomodate individual requests. For example, Mrs. Varmint does not eat any red meat, and that includes pork and goat. So, she won't be partaking of the barbecue or any vegetable that has fatback in it (so no collards). By having lots of different choices on the serving line, hopefully there will be more than enough food for everyone. Of course if you're real picky, as a couple of my kids can be, you can just focus on the desserts!

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

If you really, really need ripe peaches for Saturday/ Sunday, let me know how many and I can go get some at the farmers market a couple days before and set 'em on my counter.

And the eggs are large. That's how the shell crumbles.

As for those who may want books signed, my goal for Sunday is to eventually reach a state where I can no longer hold a pen, so I'd suggest catching me early.

As for those who may want books signed, my goal for Sunday is to eventually reach a state where I can no longer hold a pen, so I'd suggest catching me early.

Is your goal to reach a state of severe writer's cramp or profound inebriation? :wink: Guess you'll be putting in extra time at the Wellness Center to work off your pig pickin consumption.....ha, you and me both!

CBHall

I obviously had major constipation of the brain, so foodiehall has graciously reminded me of her offer to bring homemade, hand-cranked ice cream. Boy, it doesn't get much better than that!

Menu has been appropriately amended.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

The potato salad from the Cotton Country Collection does not have any hard boiled eggs in it. So unless there's a major outcry for some in the salad, I won't be putting them in.

Marlene

The potato salad from the Cotton Country Collection does not have any hard boiled eggs in it.  So unless there's a major outcry for some in the salad, I won't be putting them in.

My mom usually adds slices of boiled egg sprinkled with paprika on top of the salad for decoration.

Easy to pick off but purty nonetheless. :wink:

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

The potato salad from the Cotton Country Collection does not have any hard boiled eggs in it.  So unless there's a major outcry for some in the salad, I won't be putting them in.

This is from a book that Brooks recommended? First he claims to be able to fry chicken, and now he recommends -- as authentic -- a potato salad recipe that doesn't include hard-boiled eggs?

I am reconsidering my earlier belligerence toward the boy. Clearly, he needs help.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

Does the credit for that belong to the book, or to you? This egregious error in the potato salad recipe suggests the latter.

I haven't seen you produce a recipe yet. :raz:

Marlene

Does the credit for that belong to the book, or to you? This egregious error in the potato salad recipe suggests the latter.

It belongs to Marie Louise Snellings. One hell of a woman (and the departed mother in law of US Senator Mary Landrieu). She was one of the nicest women I ever met, and unbelievable host, fabulous cook horsewoman, one of the earliest women graduates of Tulane Law School, extremely talented home chef, lefty Democrat, and basically a legend in these parts. She also gave me the key to the levee behind her house when I was just a little boy and I will be forever greatful for the pass to that wild riverbank. Anyway, that turkey recipe is as good as it gets.

And recommend or not, it's hard to find a better collection of recipes than The Cotton Country Collection. There are a few more from that part of the country, most notably Southern Sideboards from the Jackson Jr League, that are pretty good-but TCC has it all in one spot and as my mother (and therefore the 12 year old me) was on the tasting committee, I am a bit predjudiced.

And you, Krispy Kreme Boy, are gonna get your ass kicked. That's the last straw.

I haven't seen you produce a recipe yet. :raz:

I've never used a recipe for it. However, if Brooks continues to disappoint, I'll be glad to figure one out.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

Boys, boys. I have plenty of potato salad recipes. But Dean wants authentic Southern potato salad. Not being from the south, I merely requested something that was quissentially Southern.

Marlene