• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Varmint's Pig Pickin', Version 2 -- 9/4/05

Varmint

My question is a small, simple one - coming from California where the idea of tea - usually means hot tea or definitely unsweetened - the tea prepared for this feast will indeed be sweet - correct? 'Cuz to meet Varmint's intent - we'll need the sweet tea to counter the vinegar-based sauce for the eastern style pork.... It's a small thing - but a question that I just *had* to ask - as my husband's prone to say - any visit home for us - enables me to satisfy my fix - .... Sound like a druggie don't I?? Oh, well, it could always be worse.... :rolleyes:

Live and learn. Die and get food. That's the Southern way.

My question is a small, simple one - coming from California where the idea of tea - usually means hot tea or definitely unsweetened - the tea prepared for this feast will indeed be sweet - correct?  'Cuz to meet Varmint's intent - we'll need the sweet tea to counter the vinegar-based sauce for the eastern style pork....  It's a small thing - but a question that I just *had* to ask - as my husband's prone to say - any visit home for us - enables me to satisfy my fix - ....  Sound like a druggie don't I??  Oh, well, it could always be worse.... :rolleyes:

Hopefully both will be available. Not everyone from the South falls for this sweet tea stereotype. I like it plain.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

My question is a small, simple one - coming from California where the idea of tea - usually means hot tea or definitely unsweetened - the tea prepared for this feast will indeed be sweet - correct?  'Cuz to meet Varmint's intent - we'll need the sweet tea to counter the vinegar-based sauce for the eastern style pork....  It's a small thing - but a question that I just *had* to ask - as my husband's prone to say - any visit home for us - enables me to satisfy my fix - ....  Sound like a druggie don't I??  Oh, well, it could always be worse.... :rolleyes:

Hopefully both will be available. Not everyone from the South falls for this sweet tea stereotype. I like it plain.

That's why I asked people to bring 5 gallon coolers. One for sweet tea, one for unsweet, and one for some citrus ade (lemon+lime+orange?).

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

I do want to give anyone who plans on helping out with the cooking a heads up on some logistics.  The primary purpose of doing a pig pickin' is to break bread together in an old North Carolina tradition.  It's a celebration of the harvest, and of friendship, and of the hard work that went into it.

With this goal in mind, I also strive to maintain some semblance of authenticity with the meal.  So if I reject an offer to make a particular dish, it's not because I think it's a disgusting idea (except maybe for the ground beef, hot dogs and beans idea -- :raz:), it's because it doesn't fit in MY concept of a pig pickin'. 

When we get together to cook, I'll take a similar approach.  I will in effect be the executive chef, asking people to put together dishes the way I want them.  Is it selfish?  Yup, but it's also to give most of you something you've never experienced.  And I'm committed to making it better than what long-time pig pickers have experienced. 

Regardless, this will be a hoot, and there will be so much food and drink, we'll need wheelbarrows to cart many of us out of here.  And I'll have plenty of aspirin, too.  And finally, I'll try my best not to act like Gordon Ramsay and cuss Brooks out every 5 minutes.

Bring on the pig.  Thirteen days.  Whoo hoooo!

At your command, Capt. Varmint! So, you prefer more traditional deviled eggs, or something different? And what time Sat 9/3?

Here are the ones I'm considering: basic recipe (mayo-mustard-vinegar), Cousin Judy's (Old Bay, Worchestershire), Pimento Cheese (Cheddar, Vidalia, garlic, pimentos), Bloody Marys (sundried tomatoes, horseradish, etc.), Blue Devils (blue cheese, bacon) or Devil Made me Do It (habanero hot sauce, curry). I can do two kinds, probably not more with the volume. Others can - and knowing you, will - weigh in but the decision of El Jefe Varmint is final!

Damn, I have to choose only two? This is what I suggest: first, is there any way we can make more? I know 6 dozen sounds like a lot, but deviled eggs are incredibly special and highly coveted. What I suggest is that we make at least 10 dozen (yeah, I know!). We can cover the costs. We boil the eggs on Saturday, let the crew peel and cut them, and make the filling. We fill them on Sunday as we're getting ready to serve. With 3 or 4 people on egg duty, we could put out a lot of deviled eggs in a hurry.

Debbie, don't underestimate how much help you'll have here. That is why this event is so much fun. And the music will be very, very good!

With that in mind, and with the hope that we can do 10 dozen eggs (wow!), I think that we need to make half of those the traditional variety. Then I suggest making two other types, preferably pimento cheese and bloody mary's. I can be influenced toward any of the choices, because they all sound great. Regardless, these will be incredible.

Is this do-able? Who's willing to help Ms. Moose????

Oh, my, my. We probably do need 10 doz. OK - 6 doz will be free-range (I've already ordered those and I believe that will clean out the farmers I'm getting them from) and will get 4 doz more from the store. My tentative plan is to cook all the eggs Friday 9/2 (they'll keep) and possibly devil some. I think the fillings taste better after they sit overnight and the flavors have married, as chefies say, so if we're not already doing too much, could devil Saturday morning. A volunteer refrigerator is near Varmint's and I have a neighbor (not attending) who has offered space, plus my own. For this volume, we may want to use food processors to make the fillings (I have one). Food mills would work, too, but I don't have one. Instead of filling all in advance, we could fill about half for immediate consumption Sunday and hold the rest of the fillings in ziploc bags for filling as we go. Would help with fridge space, too. If things are too crowded Saturday, I live about 10 mins from Pig Pickin Central and we could have a deviled egg task force break off and come here (my kitchen is adequate, if not as sumptuous). I will feel much better with help! I'm happy to cover the DE costs for egullet and for Varmint's gracious mentions of my book! I believe we should go with those choices: basic, pimento cheese and bloody mary. Sound OK?

Cool!!!! More deviled eggs in the house!!! Debbie, I'll clean out my beer fridge so we'll have lots of space when it's all said and done. I want deviled eggs now!!!!

So pick up your copy of Debbie's book, y'hear? The local independent bookstore 2 minutes from my house will have plenty of copies if Debbie doesn't bring her own stack.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Cool!!!!  More deviled eggs in the house!!!  Debbie, I'll clean out my beer fridge so we'll have lots of space when it's all said and done.  I want deviled eggs now!!!!

So pick up your copy of Debbie's book, y'hear?  The local independent bookstore 2 minutes from my house will have plenty of copies if Debbie doesn't bring her own stack.

I can help with cleaning out that beer fridge. :biggrin:

Let's update the menu, with who's in charge of sourcing the ingredients and preparation:

Eastern NC-style, whole hog barbecue, with sauce (Varmint)

Western NC-style barbecue, with sauce (Varmint)

Smoked Chicken (Varmint)

Goat (probably) (Varmint)

Smoked portabellos (in =Mark's honor, who will be unable to join us this year) (Varmint)

Slaw (Varmint)

Greens (Varmint)

Green beans or field peas (Varmint)

Fried okra (Brooks)

Okra & Tomatoes (Brooks, Brooks, Brooks)

Potato salad (Marlene? -- Varmint to source potatoes, Marlene in charge of the rest)

Hush puppies (Malawry)

Deviled eggs (Debbie Moose)

Brunswick Stew -- Varmint-Dave Variety (Dave the Cook -- Dave, let me know what you need in advance)

Pickled Okra (Brooks, of course)

Desserts:

Homemade, hand-cranked ice cream (foodiehall- yum!)

Viennese style desserts (Carrot Top)

Butter Tart Squares (Marlene)

Bread Pudding (Weka)

Banana Pudding (VaNC)

Rainbow Jello Mold (Rachel)

Lots of others (my in-laws!)

Beverage:

Red Hook Beer (complements of Harris Wholesale)

Homebrew

Red & White Wine (complements of Carolina Wine Company)

Cocktails (Katie and Janet in charge)

Limoncello (Katie - although don't count on there being any left!)

Iced Tea (Sweet and unsweet) (Varmint)

Citrus Ade (Varmint)

What have I missed?

Edited by Varmint (log)

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Speaking of the music for the crew, I will have a broad assortment of tunes.

It would be a good idea if someone brought "Dueling Banjos". Dean loves that tune! :wink:

PM me if you need me to send an MP3.

Regards,

Al "Pissed He Can't Make It" Dente

peak performance is predicated on proper pan preparation...

-- A.B.

Do you want a separate list for the staff dinner?

Paper plates,napkins etc. Glasses. Condiments of whatever kind. I've said I'll pick up the paper products if neeeded.

Other assignments as necessary. Is there a raffle? Who's in charge of it?

Will there be at the door payment? (yes, I know you said you didn't want to do this)

If so, who's in charge of collecting.

Pig duty night before.

I know these aren't necessarily food related. Can you tell I organize stuff for a living? :wacko:

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Can I make some okra and tomatoes? The fried is fine, and I am happy to do it, but I think that Okra deserves a couple of different presentations, as many of our guests will not have ever had God's pod anyway but fried.

Also, there seems to be a low slime quotient. Slime is essential to good digestion and regularity.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

Can I make some okra and tomatoes? The fried is fine, and I am happy to do it, but I think that Okra deserves a couple of different presentations, as many of our guests will not have ever had God's pod anyway but fried.

Also, there seems to be a low slime quotient. Slime is essential to good digestion and regularity.

Yes. I have edited the menu appropriately.

Marlene, I'm just focusing on the Sunday menu right now. I've got everything else under control!!!

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Marlene, I'm just focusing on the Sunday menu right now.  I've got everything else under control!!!

Where have I heard this before? :rolleyes: Ok. Chief!

Marlene

It would be a good idea if someone brought "Dueling Banjos". Dean loves that tune! :wink:

Regards,

Yet another reason why I need to control the music as well! Al, you CAN make it. Just because doing so would ruin your marriage is no excuse.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Regards,

Yet another reason why I need to control the music as well! Al, you CAN make it. Just because doing so would ruin your marriage is no excuse.

I trust we'll hear some big John Cash playing behind those prison walls. Maybe some George Jones to go with Carrot Top's moonshine jelly?

What would I be more likely to find at the market that weekend.....peaches or apples???

I have an idea....be afraid

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

Al's married? I really gotta keep up. :blink: This is going to be such a blast!

Marlene

What would I be more likely to find at the market that weekend.....peaches or apples???

tracey

Both. And 'fess up! The problem with the peaches is that when you buy them, they might be a day or two short of being perfectly ripe.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

tracey

Both. And 'fess up! The problem with the peaches is that when you buy them, they might be a day or two short of being perfectly ripe.

the booze will fix that right up (Quarent Y Tres)....and who would notice under the whipped cream

ok someone from Georgia might :rolleyes:

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

What have I missed?

<ahem> The Limoncello that's currently infusing on top of my fridge.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

What have I missed?

<ahem> The Limoncello that's currently infusing on top of my fridge.

Thank you. I may not be able to keep track of all the potent potables. And those are sort of for the crew anyhow, right? :wink:

Aye aye, Captain! :wink:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

I just wrote a long elegant tale of how the search at the Farmers Market today for the Holy Grail of moonshine jelly turned into a sordid story of loss and inequity. Then I hit the wrong button and erased the thing.

Anyway. The moonshine jelly turned out to be a hoax. There was nary a moon or a shine to be found in it but for on the pretty label. It was clear apple jelly with a fancy name stamped upon it to gather those Northern tourist dollars, I guess.

I guess we should be grateful for the poetry of it.

As I am still on your list for the "Viennese-style" desserts, I will then get to work on them.

There is always one foreign sort of person with strangefoodstuffs at any Pig-Pickin' I've been to. (And strangely enough, sometimes it is not me!)

Usually the Baptists make a point of shipping them in to make some sort of point.

Big cooler coming in with them, too, for beer or whatever.

I do hope you find a goat to cook. . .

I do want to give anyone who plans on helping out with the cooking a heads up on some logistics.  The primary purpose of doing a pig pickin' is to break bread together in an old North Carolina tradition.  It's a celebration of the harvest, and of friendship, and of the hard work that went into it.

With this goal in mind, I also strive to maintain some semblance of authenticity with the meal.  So if I reject an offer to make a particular dish, it's not because I think it's a disgusting idea (except maybe for the ground beef, hot dogs and beans idea -- :raz:), it's because it doesn't fit in MY concept of a pig pickin'. 

When we get together to cook, I'll take a similar approach.  I will in effect be the executive chef, asking people to put together dishes the way I want them.  Is it selfish?  Yup, but it's also to give most of you something you've never experienced.  And I'm committed to making it better than what long-time pig pickers have experienced. 

Regardless, this will be a hoot, and there will be so much food and drink, we'll need wheelbarrows to cart many of us out of here.  And I'll have plenty of aspirin, too.  And finally, I'll try my best not to act like Gordon Ramsay and cuss Brooks out every 5 minutes.

Bring on the pig.  Thirteen days.  Whoo hoooo!

At your command, Capt. Varmint! So, you prefer more traditional deviled eggs, or something different? And what time Sat 9/3?

Here are the ones I'm considering: basic recipe (mayo-mustard-vinegar), Cousin Judy's (Old Bay, Worchestershire), Pimento Cheese (Cheddar, Vidalia, garlic, pimentos), Bloody Marys (sundried tomatoes, horseradish, etc.), Blue Devils (blue cheese, bacon) or Devil Made me Do It (habanero hot sauce, curry). I can do two kinds, probably not more with the volume. Others can - and knowing you, will - weigh in but the decision of El Jefe Varmint is final!

Damn, I have to choose only two? This is what I suggest: first, is there any way we can make more? I know 6 dozen sounds like a lot, but deviled eggs are incredibly special and highly coveted. What I suggest is that we make at least 10 dozen (yeah, I know!). We can cover the costs. We boil the eggs on Saturday, let the crew peel and cut them, and make the filling. We fill them on Sunday as we're getting ready to serve. With 3 or 4 people on egg duty, we could put out a lot of deviled eggs in a hurry.

Debbie, don't underestimate how much help you'll have here. That is why this event is so much fun. And the music will be very, very good!

With that in mind, and with the hope that we can do 10 dozen eggs (wow!), I think that we need to make half of those the traditional variety. Then I suggest making two other types, preferably pimento cheese and bloody mary's. I can be influenced toward any of the choices, because they all sound great. Regardless, these will be incredible.

Is this do-able? Who's willing to help Ms. Moose????

Oh, my, my. We probably do need 10 doz. OK - 6 doz will be free-range (I've already ordered those and I believe that will clean out the farmers I'm getting them from) and will get 4 doz more from the store. My tentative plan is to cook all the eggs Friday 9/2 (they'll keep) and possibly devil some. I think the fillings taste better after they sit overnight and the flavors have married, as chefies say, so if we're not already doing too much, could devil Saturday morning. A volunteer refrigerator is near Varmint's and I have a neighbor (not attending) who has offered space, plus my own. For this volume, we may want to use food processors to make the fillings (I have one). Food mills would work, too, but I don't have one. Instead of filling all in advance, we could fill about half for immediate consumption Sunday and hold the rest of the fillings in ziploc bags for filling as we go. Would help with fridge space, too. If things are too crowded Saturday, I live about 10 mins from Pig Pickin Central and we could have a deviled egg task force break off and come here (my kitchen is adequate, if not as sumptuous). I will feel much better with help! I'm happy to cover the DE costs for egullet and for Varmint's gracious mentions of my book! I believe we should go with those choices: basic, pimento cheese and bloody mary. Sound OK?

''

Debbie:

I will volunteer for egg duty in whatever form it may be. I'm also looking forward to woking with the "master" and will do whatever is required. Justt let me know what's happinin' and I'll try to help.

Thanks for letting me be a part of this!!!

Will you sign my book?????..............please<G>

Looking forward to seeing you and helping with the egg/

Bill

Bill Benge

Moab, Utah

"I like eggs", Leon Spinks