• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Varmint's Pig Pickin', Version 2 -- 9/4/05

Varmint

I've got the five gallon thing. In fact, if you let me know what else you need, I can always throw it into the back of the 18 wheeler that I am coming in.

Seriously, I have 5 or 6 sets of restaurant pan sized chafing dishes if there is a need.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

Why, Rachel, I believe that baggie technique was also mentioned in that runaway bestseller "Deviled Eggs." (hee hee). I have to confess, I've never deviled this many eggs at one time before (6 dozen) and I may stuff some and go the baggie route for others, if I start running out of containers and have to stack.

And for any of you plotting raids, each egg will be implanted with a secret transmitter that will allow DEC (Deviled Eggs Central) to track it whereever it may be. Don't mess with DEC. We know where you are and what you're eating.

The following is what I'm doing (with y'all's help, of course)

Eastern NC-style, whole hog barbecue, with sauce

Western NC-style barbecue, with sauce

Chicken

Goat (probably)

Smoked portabellos (in =Mark's honor, who will be unable to join us this year)

Slaw

Greens

Green beans or field peas

Fried okra (Brooks, you're in charge)

Potatoes of some form (anyone want to make potato salad?)

Other people's stuff:

Hush puppies (Malawry)

Deviled eggs (Debbie Moose)

Brunswick Stew -- Varmint-Dave Variety (Dave the Cook)

Pickled Okra (Brooks, of course)

Desserts:

Viennese style desserts (Carrot Top)

Butter Tart Squares (Marlene)

Bread Pudding (Weka)

Banana Pudding (the crew -- I'll buy ingredients)

Lots of others (my in-laws!)

Beverage:

Red Hook Beer (complements of Harris Wholesale)

Homebrew

Red & White Wine (complements of Carolina Wine Company)

Cocktails (Katie and Janet in charge)

Iced Tea (Does anyone have a 5 gallon water jug cooler thingy?)

If I've missed anything, please let me know.

Now I know folks are bringing other things, but some of those may be for the staff meal on Saturday.  Such as much of the liquor!  :wink:  I know we talked about ice cream, but that's really hard to deal with, particularly if it's going to be hot.

When it comes to other items, such as paper products, etc., if someone wants to donate them to the cause, please do so and save your receipt.  We will make sure you get the appropriate acknowledgment for the charitable deduction.

I'm overwhelmed at the response we've had.  Y'all are the best, and gosh darn it, I can't wait!!!

Hey varmint-

You have the honor of receiving my first post as a proud member of eGullet.

We'll be coming down from Delaware some time saturday. Should we bring down a few cases of the finest beer brewed in the first state?

I don't believe that Dean will refuse the beer. Ever.

Welcome to eGullet. Any friend of Dean's is, well, a friend of Dean's. We won't hold that against you, though.

I'm bringing some Abita, as well. A little beer, a little root beer. I'll see what fits in the truck.

I don't believe that Dean will refuse the beer. Ever.

Welcome to eGullet. Any friend of Dean's is, well, a friend of Dean's. We won't hold that against you, though.

I'm bringing some Abita, as well. A little beer, a little root beer. I'll see what fits in the truck.

I won't refuse beer, but I won't be able to put it out on the Sunday of the Pig Pickin'. In exchange for the donation of the Red Hook Ales, I assured the fine people at Harris Wholesale that we'd be offering no other commercial beer. Homebrews are OK. Now of course, if the Red Hook is drunk, then all bets are off.

But that means we'll have plenty of that fine brew for Saturday to go with the chicken.

And by the way, y'all, Hodad and I go back. Way back. He even remembers the time I made all these chocolate chip cookies for my housemates and a bunch of skinheads ate them all. So he'll have a few stories he can tell. And some he can't. :wink:

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Why, Rachel, I believe that baggie technique was also mentioned in that runaway bestseller "Deviled Eggs." (hee hee). I have to confess, I've never deviled this many eggs at one time before (6 dozen) and I may stuff some and go the baggie route for others, if I start running out of containers and have to stack.

And for any of you plotting raids, each egg will be implanted with a secret transmitter that will allow DEC (Deviled Eggs Central) to track it whereever it may be. Don't mess with DEC. We know where you are and what you're eating.

Debbie, we will also have a crew here to help, so if you want to come over a couple hours early on Sunday, you'll find plenty of volunteers to assist you. That way, we can sample.

Y'all, 6 dozen deviled eggs means that there will be 144 halves. That's about a half per person (for the 120 or so attendees) and 24 halves for the host.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Hush puppies are a la minute--meaning they require almost no advanced prep. (I'll be doing what I did last time and just premeasuring the mix into baggies.) Heather, if there's rendered pork fat from the greens, can you set some aside for me again for the puppies?

Dave, I'm happy to assist you with that expressive VD Stew. And anybody else who needs a hand can have it. I can hold my own in the kitchen after all. :rolleyes:

Dave, I'm happy to assist you with that expressive VD Stew. And anybody else who needs a hand can have it. I can hold my own in the kitchen after all. :rolleyes:

Would you like some delicious nutria or alligator meat for that VD business? It can't hurt, I don't think.

Would you like some delicious nutria or alligator meat for that VD business? It can't hurt, I don't think.

Rodents are always good, so the nutria might work. Reptiles generally don't go in VD Stew -- well, not intentionally, anyhow.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Dean, how much puddin' do you need? Is this for Saturday night or Sunday? I have finally looked at my calendar and found out that Debra DeMilo is playing in Ch. Hill Friday night, not Saturday like I thought, so I have Saturday night to make pudding. I may not be a cook to ya'lls standards, but I can read the side of a box with the best of them. And I have lots of pyrex............................

Actually, Dean, I was waiting for your kids to shame me into helping them again with the nanner puddin'.

I always smile at little Clara's concern for us in that photo--sampling the nilla wafers to make sure they're safe for consumption. :wub:

Rodents are always good, so the nutria might work. Reptiles generally don't go in VD Stew -- well, not intentionally, anyhow.

Tastes like chicken.

Dean, how much puddin' do you need?  Is this for Saturday night or Sunday?  I have finally looked at my calendar and found out that Debra DeMilo is playing in Ch. Hill Friday night, not Saturday like I thought, so I have Saturday night to make pudding.  I may not be a cook to ya'lls standards, but I can read the side of a box with the best of them.  And I have lots of pyrex............................

Debra DeMilo. Heh heh. Oh, the Fabulous Knobs.

The pudding is for Sunday. It's not a pig pickin' without nanner puddin'. And you'll have to work with Malawry about this one, as the L'il Varmints may very well be looking out for her to make this again.

And as you might expect, this pudding must be started with a made from scratch custard! We do allow the Nilla Wafers to be purchased, however.

STOP THE PRESSES!!! I just realized that I have Bill Smith's recipe (he of Crook's Corner fame), which is wonderful. The bananas don't turn brown with this recipe. I'll post it tonight.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

and it now appears that I will be joining you all ... this is something I had wanted to do, surmounted a couple of obstacles, etc. but now it appears distinctly possible! Very excited! This makes quite a few of us from Atlanta now ...

And you will have my "extra set of hands", Dean! Do use them appropriately, please ... :hmmm:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

Well, the recipe from the Nilla Wafer box that I grew up with never used instant custard, so I was planning on making it from scratch, but, as noted above, it sounds like I would not be meeting ya'lls standards if I made it. So, if someone else wants to make it, I will not be offended. Just don't tell me that you are putting whipped cream topping on the top rather than meringue. I consider that blasphemy.

Edited by VaNC (log)

Well, the recipe from the Nilla Wafer box  that I grew up with never used instant custard, so I was planning on making it from scratch, but, as noted above, it sounds like I would not be meeting ya'lls standards if I made it.  So, if someone  else wants to make it, I will not be offended.  Just don't tell me that you are putting whipped cream topping on the top rather than meringue.  I consider that blasphemy.

Executive Decision Alert . . . REPEAT . . . Executive Decision Alert

After further consideration, it is hereby RESOLVED that VaNC will be authorized to prepare the banana pudding (hereinafter referred to as the "Puddin'") for the Second Occasional Varmint's Pig Pickin' to be held on Saturday, September 4, 2005 in Raleigh, North Cackalacky (hereinafter referred to as the "Event").

FURTHER RESOLVED, that VaNC shall be the sole and exclusive provider of the Puddin' at the Event, and no other individual shall be permitted to bring Puddin' to 1301 Dixie Trail in Raleigh, Wake County, North Cackalacky on the day of the Event.

FURTHER RESOLVED, that VaNC shall be authorized to prepare, and she shall prepare, 50 servings of the Puddin', as 50 shall be the number she shall prepare. Forty-nine shall not be sufficient, except if she shall then proceed to make 50.

FURTHER RESOLVED, that VaNC shall be authorized to conscript any assistance reasonably necessary to accomplish the aforementioned task.

This, the 19th day of August, 2005.

End of Executive Decision Alert

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Is this the Pre-Banana Pudding Document which must be signed by both parties and witnessed thereunto in order to properly consummate the Pig Pickin'? :rolleyes:

Lawyers ... :hmmm: only a lawyer would run a Pig Pickin' with documents ...

(disclaimer: my mother is a lawyer)

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

Oh, and half the fun of that resolution comes from (a) VaNC is a lawyer; and (2) the 50 reference. I know several people will know where that germ of an idea came from.

Finally, Jack, I see you repeatedly commenting on this thread. I think it's time to say, "What the hell," and just hop on a plane over here. There are actually direct flights between London and Raleigh.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Just a little resolution from the Pig Pickin' Board, of which I'm the sole member!  :raz:

Obviously you have not been following the trials of Enron and MCI officials, Dean. You would be better off having a large corporate ladder to take the heat for you in case the Puddin' scheme goes bad. You may want to rethink this strategy.