• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Varmint's Pig Pickin', Version 2 -- 9/4/05

Varmint

Thanks to a very generous donation from Harris Wholesale, we will be featuring Red Hook beers at this year's pig pickin'. We'll have the following Red Hook brews: ESB, Blackhook Porter, Nut Brown, IPA and Sunrye. For good measure, Harris Wholesale is providing us with some Widmer Hefe Weisen, too.

Thanks to the great folks at Harris Wholesale and the great Red Hook brews.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

I'm there.

The Mod Squad's coming from Philly.

Julie's obvious, but who's Linc and who's Pete? Nice Pickin' shirt!

:laugh:

I'm going to look a lot more like my avatar than I am Peggy Lipton, but that's OK.

Perhaps we should be the Nod Squad. I seem to recall passing out comfortably in the den at one point last time. And there's photographic evidence of it on the old thread too, so I can't even deny it! :biggrin:

We've got the car reserved and we're rarin' to go. Philly's in the House!!

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

If anyone still needs a room at the Brownstone for the Pig Pickin' please send me a PM. I have a room reserved I won't be needing so I can try and see if the front desk will allow me to "transfer" it to someone else in our group and retain the same rate. I can cancel anytime, but let me know ASAP and I'll try and make it happen.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Raffle.  I'd be happy to donate lutefisk!

No, no, no. See, the principle behind a raffle is people pay money with the expectation that they'll receive some wonderful prize.

Now if you're thinking about paying the eG Society to help you get rid of that nasty stuff . . . . :raz:

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Raffle.  I'd be happy to donate lutefisk!

No, no, no. See, the principle behind a raffle is people pay money with the expectation that they'll receive some wonderful prize.

Now if you're thinking about paying the eG Society to help you get rid of that nasty stuff . . . . :raz:

Don't 'dis anything until you've more than smothered it in butter and smoked pork fat.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

I do hope you will rig up a webcam for those of us far away in distance but withyou in spirit

We tried to do that two years ago, but we failed miserably. I had a wireless router up until a month ago, but it died. I'm hoping to have a new one in place within a week. I do not own a webcam, so if someone wants to set that up, you'll have to bring the necessary technology.

We are considering setting up a laptop for public use during the weekend to post updates. It could get a little insane.

I will strive to post no fewer than 100 pictures over the course of the weekend.

Oh, we're 18 days away. We're having the tennis court pressure washed today, so even the concrete will look clean!

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

I just told my husband that our job, so far, for the Pickin is to babysit Debbie Moose's eggs in our downstairs fridge and bring them to the party. He screams, "Wow, that is a hard job! Those things can disappear!"

He has said that I will have to buy a muzzle. Be worried, be very worried.

I will not be giving out our address, for anyone who is getting any crazy ideas..................................

. . . I will not be giving out our address, for anyone who is getting any crazy ideas..................................

Damn! There goes my plan to assemble an away team and storm the fridge :biggrin:

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

Oh, and Varmint, I have been assuming no, but will there be kids at the Pickin? I mean, other than yours? I am not sure that I would want to worry about mine at the function, so would not be inclined to bring them. However, if the word gets around Lacy that kids are there, there would be you know what to pay in my house.........what is the "official" word?

There will be kids at the pig pickin', although there will be nothing planned for them -- except for Mummer's electric piano antics, perhaps! Bring the children if you want, but just remember that they're your responsibility!

Oh, I know where VaNC (and thus, the deviled eggs) live. I know where Debbie Moose lives. I know everything. Bwah hahahahahaha.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

For Saturday, lemme know when and what I can do. I'll be devilin' them eggs probably Saturday and Sunday (might even start late Friday), and with 100+ coming, I'll need some fridge space, if anyone is in Raleigh and has a spare shelf to offer (no nibbling!). Varmint's will probably be full. I live a pig's throw from the Raleigh farmers market - could pick up some corn and 'maters, if there's any good left by then.

I know you're the queen of deviled eggs, but JIC you didn't ever think of it (I certainly didn't until it was mentioned here), it is most convenient and space saving to slice the whites in half, remove the yolk, store whites in an airtight container, prepare yolk mixture(s), store the mixure(s) in baggies. Bring to party separately, snip off a corner of the baggie and use as a pastry bag to fill the trays as needed.

There will be kids at the pig pickin', although there will be nothing planned for them -- except for Mummer's electric piano antics, perhaps!  Bring the children if you want, but just remember that they're your responsibility!

We're bringing our son, who is 8. He will be my wife's responsibility :biggrin:

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

So Varm,

Can we have a rundown of dishes somebody's already said they're preparing/bringing? I will be delighted to swim in and fill gaps like I did last time (slaw, banana pudding, etc).

The following is what I'm doing (with y'all's help, of course)

Eastern NC-style, whole hog barbecue, with sauce

Western NC-style barbecue, with sauce

Chicken

Goat (probably)

Smoked portabellos (in =Mark's honor, who will be unable to join us this year)

Slaw

Greens

Green beans or field peas

Fried okra (Brooks, you're in charge)

Potatoes of some form (anyone want to make potato salad?)

Other people's stuff:

Hush puppies (Malawry)

Deviled eggs (Debbie Moose)

Brunswick Stew -- Varmint-Dave Variety (Dave the Cook)

Pickled Okra (Brooks, of course)

Desserts:

Viennese style desserts (Carrot Top)

Butter Tart Squares (Marlene)

Bread Pudding (Weka)

Banana Pudding (the crew -- I'll buy ingredients)

Lots of others (my in-laws!)

Beverage:

Red Hook Beer (complements of Harris Wholesale)

Homebrew

Red & White Wine (complements of Carolina Wine Company)

Cocktails (Katie and Janet in charge)

Iced Tea (Does anyone have a 5 gallon water jug cooler thingy?)

If I've missed anything, please let me know.

Now I know folks are bringing other things, but some of those may be for the staff meal on Saturday. Such as much of the liquor! :wink: I know we talked about ice cream, but that's really hard to deal with, particularly if it's going to be hot.

When it comes to other items, such as paper products, etc., if someone wants to donate them to the cause, please do so and save your receipt. We will make sure you get the appropriate acknowledgment for the charitable deduction.

I'm overwhelmed at the response we've had. Y'all are the best, and gosh darn it, I can't wait!!!

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Jaz, I never peel potatoes when I make potato salad! I had planned on making a potato salad on Thursday or Friday, but you're welcome to it! I can make up a big batch of coleslaw instead. I'm also likely going to make some honey garlic meatballs to nosh on and a few cheese balls. Since I've got Varmint's kitchen to myself for a couple of days, I can go crazy. :biggrin: Assuming someone takes me grocery shopping on Wed night of course. :rolleyes: I'll happily pick up the paper products during my shopping expedition.

Dean, I"m pretty sure I left my 5 gallon water thingy at your place during the last pig pickin.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Sharon and I will be on hand from around 12 noon top Saturday to assist with the 'shreddin, peeling, 'cleanin and other assorted tasks. Will bring plates etc. along with 2 large coolers. (you can never have too many)

Joe

Joe

of Joe and Sharon

Springfield, VA

. . . I will not be giving out our address, for anyone who is getting any crazy ideas..................................

Damn! There goes my plan to assemble an away team and storm the fridge :biggrin:

=R=

Shoot, man...........I was so "in" on that gig :blink: I guess we'll have to figure out something else.

Bill Benge

Moab, Utah

"I like eggs", Leon Spinks