• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Varmint's Pig Pickin', Version 2 -- 9/4/05

Varmint

We only have a handful of rooms left at the Brownstone Inn, and our release date is August 12. If you need a room and haven't booked anything, I suggest you get a move on things. There is a good chance that the hotel will sell out and a better chance (say, 100%) that you won't be able to get these rates after the 12th.

Please click here for all the hotel information.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

I'll help out however I can. I have a great recipe for pickled beets that can be made as little as a day in advance, if that fits in with the menu. I also have a lot of appetizer recipes, if we decide we need more than deviled eggs.

And I have some great ice cream recipes, if anyone is interested in coffee, chocolate malt or cardamom-caramel flavors.

I heard ice cream mentioned. I have a hand-crank White Mountain that someone could use. The cranking keeps the kids busy, too!

And someone should bring the obvious dessert....a pig-picking cake!

I am fully capable of filling your deviled egg needs. I cooked 360 eggs while testing recipes for my cookbook, which I ended up having to complete in 10 weeks. I may need refrigerator storage, however. I'm going to see if the farmers of the CSA I belong to would be willing to donate their 'licious free-range eggs to the cause.

HRH Queen of Deviled Eggs

I heard ice cream mentioned. I have a hand-crank White Mountain that someone could use. The cranking keeps the kids busy, too!

I am fully capable of filling your deviled egg needs. I cooked 360 eggs while testing recipes for my cookbook, which I ended up having to complete in 10 weeks. I may need refrigerator storage, however. I'm going to see if the farmers of the CSA I belong to would be willing to donate their 'licious free-range eggs to the cause.

Hmmmmmm........deviled eggs!! :smile:

Bill Benge

Moab, Utah

"I like eggs", Leon Spinks

And here's a link to Debbie's book: Deviled Eggs: 50 Recipes from Simple to Sassy. Buy your copy today!

Oh, and only 34 days until the Big Pig Shindig.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

And here's a link to Debbie's book: Deviled Eggs: 50 Recipes from Simple to Sassy. Buy your copy today!

Thanks Dean and Debbie! I just ordered it. As Leon Spinks said immediately upon coming to consciousness after being knocked out, "I like eggs".

34 days and counting...........I can hardly wait.

Bill

Bill Benge

Moab, Utah

And here's a link to Debbie's book: Deviled Eggs: 50 Recipes from Simple to Sassy.  Buy your copy today!

Thanks Dean and Debbie! I just ordered it. As Leon Spinks said immediately upon coming to consciousness after being knocked out, "I like eggs".

Bill

Cool, Bill. Bring the book to the pig pickin', as Debbie informs me she'd be happy to sign it for you. There will be lots more copies available at the independent bookstore that's just a few blocks away, too!

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

And here's a link to Debbie's book: Deviled Eggs: 50 Recipes from Simple to Sassy.  Buy your copy today!

Bill

Cool, Bill. Bring the book to the pig pickin', as Debbie informs me she'd be happy to sign it for you. There will be lots more copies available at the independent bookstore that's just a few blocks away, too!

I thought of doing just that. Amazon says it'll be here by August 8...............I DO love deviled eggs...............&pig...................&hushpuppies.................& greens.............&okra....................&&&&&&&&..............(you get the picture :rolleyes:)

Thanks,

Bill

Bill Benge

Moab, Utah

No Georgia???  No New York??  No South Carolina, Minnesota or Texas??  C'mon, people!!

Begging pardon, but this Minnesotan will be up at The Cabin. It is tradition, as we have spent every Labor Day weekend up there since we graduated from college in 1980. Tradition, you know. Pick another weekend next time, and it's time for this family to make a Road Trip. But Labor Day weekend, I've got an annual that has been going on for 15 people. It's our 25th annual.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

No Georgia???  No New York??  No South Carolina, Minnesota or Texas??  C'mon, people!!

Begging pardon, but this Minnesotan will be up at The Cabin. It is tradition, as we have spent every Labor Day weekend up there since we graduated from college in 1980. Tradition, you know. Pick another weekend next time, and it's time for this family to make a Road Trip. But Labor Day weekend, I've got an annual that has been going on for 15 people. It's our 25th annual.

Lame excuse. :wink:

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Cool, Bill.  Bring the book to the pig pickin', as Debbie informs me she'd be happy to sign it for you.  There will be lots more copies available at the independent bookstore that's just a few blocks away, too!

I thought of doing just that. Amazon says it'll be here by August 8...............I DO love deviled eggs...............&pig...................&hushpuppies.................& greens.............&okra....................&&&&&&&&..............(you get the picture :rolleyes:)

Thanks,

Bill

For those of you who don't know, I live in Raleigh. And Quail Ridge Books, one of the world's greatest bookstores, is a 5 minute straight-shot drive (well, 1 turn) from Pig-Picking Central. I encourage you to hop down there when you get in town. Buy mine, I'll sign it; buy other peoples', I'll forge their names. :biggrin:

If you register for the Pig Pickin', please let me know by PM, email or posting here that you've done so. I don't necessarily know who some of the registrants are as real names aren't nearly as familiar as screen names.

And please do register!

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

The Pig Pickin' is one month from today.

Register now!!

Please consider choosing one of the donation amounts above the minimum contribution – the Society relies on donations to carry out its mission.

Pig Pickin’ Basic Entry -- $30 per person ($12/meal + $18 donation)

Pig Pickin’ “BBQ Lover” Entry -- $50 per person ($12/meal + $38 donation)

Pig Pickin’ “Boss Hog” Entry -- $70 per person ($12/meal + $58 donation)

If you wish to make a larger donation, an in-kind donation or an offer to match donations, please contact me by PM or e-mail.

Payments are not refundable. This event will be held rain or shine.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Again, children will be welcome, but the extent of how enjoyable of an experience this will be for them is up to you. 

Hah! Generally with large social functions I notice that how enjoyable an experience it is for ME is up to THEM! Heh heh. . . :laugh:

Nevertheless, the one child that always questions everything (daughter, of course) has seemed to take quite a liking to the idea of an eGullet pig-pickin', and has been talking it up to me.

Her brother is always happy to be wherever good food is, and as long as his sister is happy and busy enough to not find time to harass him, he is well pleased. :wink:

So, I've just "bought my ticket" and will be very happy to come and eat all the good things and meet all you exciting characters. . . :rolleyes:

It will be good to have the chance to take the children to the museums on Saturday, too! It's been a while. . .

Unfortunately, we are from Virginia at the moment, so can not add to your collection of states attending. . .but I can offer to bring dessert as we will be driving down and a cooler will hold something well for that period of time.

My general tendency with desserts is to do Viennese-type stuff. . .walnut tortes and so on. . .but with a stretch I might be able to do a southern-style banana pudding for a crowd. . .which do you think y'all would like better for this bash?

Let me know. . .either is fine with me.

Thanks. . .

Karen

My general tendency with desserts is to do Viennese-type stuff. . .walnut tortes and so on. . .but with a stretch I might be able to do a southern-style banana pudding for a crowd. . .which do you think y'all would like better for this bash?

Karen,

We're likely to do the banana pudding on-site, as that ensures freshness. But I can say the Viennese desserts would be very much welcomed, even though they can hardly be described as "Southern". Hell, they're not even Southern Austrian, but who cares -- it's dessert!!!!

Looking forward to meeting you.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

but who cares -- it's dessert!!!!

Just saw "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" last night. Good movie, even for grownups. . .particularly those who like food.

Your line reminded me of what Charlie says to one of the particularly obnoxious children in the story: "Candy doesn't need a reason to exist! It is enough that it is candy!" :smile:

Might adapt the tortes to use black walnuts or pecans. . .filling to be lemon or lime curd or peach buttercream? Then it could claim a "Southern" provenance, no? This will be fun! :wink:

Yes. . .thank you for saying "no" to the banana pudding. Probably my cooler would never recover from that marvelously messy stuff! :laugh:

A couple of other pieces of information: We already have more eGullet members signed up this year than attended in 2003. And I know of a handful of others who are coming but just haven't signed up yet.

I will have directions to the house available when we get closer to the date. It's not a big secret, as anyone can look me up in any directory!

I'll put together some ideas for folks to entertain themselves should they get bored with the goings on at my house. A lot of the fun will come from the cooking going on (and perhaps some imbibing as well!).

It'll be a long weekend, so y'all pace yourselves, y'hear?

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Ill jump on a melon salad, eh? I can picture it now.... hmm melon...

moms used to make an awesome 5-cup salad with mandarin oranges, coconut, cherries, sour cream, marshmallows and pineapple. Its got pig pickin written all over it!!!

The complexity of flavor is a token of durable appreciation. Each Time you taste it, each time it's a different story, but each time it's not so different." Paul Verlaine

Ill jump on a melon salad, eh? I can picture it now.... hmm melon...

moms used to make an awesome 5-cup salad with mandarin oranges, coconut, cherries, sour cream, marshmallows and pineapple. Its got pig pickin written all over it!!!

Seeing that it could very well be quite warm, a salad with all that fun stuff would be great! Sweet ambrosia!

Of course, don't forget to register, too!! :wink:

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

And, as the first Okra shot across the bow, I am pickling 15 lbs. of gorgeous, just picked, finger sized okra. Some hot, some not. It should be just getting right in about a month.

Bloody mary fans should rejoice. You have never had a proper Bloody Mary until you have had one with hot, spicy okra in it.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

Bloody mary fans should rejoice. You have never had a proper Bloody Mary until you have had one with hot, spicy okra in it.

OK, who wants to be in charge of developing the quintessential bloody mary? Not something with barbecue sauce or anything silly like that, but something that represents a legitimate culinary advancement of the drink of which all mixologists would be proud.

Well, who's capable of doing that?????

Dean McCord

VarmintBites