• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Varmint's Pig Pickin', Version 2 -- 9/4/05

Varmint

OK - I'm official and paid up. :cool:

Dean - how awesome that you've sourced the pig from Mr. Cole's farm again!! Mr. Wade Cole is a fine man, a wonderful and caring farmer and a kind soul. I would think it a repeat honor to have him grace the festivities again.

Starting to get very psyched up... :smile:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

ok ok NJ is official and even paid up.

Transportation hasnt been decided yet but may just be motorcyle :blink:

see ya

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

That would be bitchin'!

Here's the list of states represented:

North Carolina

Virginia

Maryland

Delaware

Illinois

Louisiana

Utah

California

Florida

West Virginia

New Jersey

No Georgia??? No New York?? No South Carolina, Minnesota or Texas?? C'mon, people!!

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Ooh, I'm delighted at the prospect of enjoying Mr. Cole's wonderful pork again. I hope he makes it--I never met a finer gentleman, and he raises a real mean pig.

Oops, I forgot PA -- how could I??? Here's the correct current list.

North Carolina

Virginia

Maryland

Delaware

Illinois

Louisiana

Utah

California

Florida

West Virginia

New Jersey

Pennsylvania

That's twelve down. Let's get to 20, but half the states would be monumental.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Would DC count as a state? I still have to get it on our official calendar with the missus, but I feel I'd be an excellent representative from the state that ain't a state. Plus I have some seniority.

peak performance is predicated on proper pan preparation...

-- A.B.

Would DC count as a state? I still have to get it on our official calendar with the missus, but I feel I'd be an excellent representative from the state that ain't a state. Plus I have some seniority.

I'd say being a pall bearer for the pig down to the smoker last time definitely earns you some seniority.

And thanks for remembering the PA crew here, boss. I'm hoping we have a larger contingent this time. :biggrin:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Don't be counting Canada out just yet. I still have my room reserved!

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

That would be bitchin'!

Here's the list of states represented:

North Carolina

Virginia

Maryland

Delaware

Illinois

Louisiana

Utah

California

Florida

West Virginia

New Jersey

No Georgia??? No New York?? No South Carolina, Minnesota or Texas?? C'mon, people!!

Georgia is represented. I registered back on June 1.

Georgia is represented.  I registered back on June 1.

Thanks, Milt. The information we receive from PayPal does not have the payor's address, so I generally just list the state when someone tells me they've registered. So, Georgia is in the house!

North Carolina

Virginia

Maryland

Delaware

Illinois

Louisiana

Utah

California

Florida

West Virginia

New Jersey

Pennsylvania

Georgia

That's 26% of the US States. Not a bad start, I'd say!

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Help me build a menu. The following is what I know we'll have:

Eastern NC-style whole hog barbecue

Western (or rather, "Lexington") NC-style barbecue

Slow-roasted chicken

Slow roasted goat (that's still not certain)

Brunswick Stew (the variant known as Varmint/Dave or "VD" Stew)

Cole Slaw

Collard Greens

Barbecue potatoes

Corn n' Limas

Okra in some form (you're in charge, Brooks)

Hush Puppies (Malawry)

Lots of Desserts

Tea

Beer

I'll be looking for folks to bring the desserts again. My sister-in-law has promised to bring a huge caramel cake and other desserts -- maybe a coconut cake. Peaches will still be in season, so a cobbler would be good.

So, what are we missing? Who's going to help??

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

So, what are we missing?  Who's going to help??

We'll need ice cream, Dean. I'll bring the big boy freezer along with me and make some custard base in advance. We can turn it into whatever looks good at the market, flavor wise. I have a new client ( www.thevanillashop.com ) who has vanilla that her family grows in Madagascar. I will make some from those fabulous beans and then have some base that is ready to go for fruits, etc.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

Help me build a menu.  The following is what I know we'll have:

Eastern NC-style whole hog barbecue

Western (or rather, "Lexington") NC-style barbecue

Slow-roasted chicken

Slow roasted goat (that's still not certain)

Brunswick Stew (the variant known as Varmint/Dave or "VD" Stew)

Cole Slaw

Collard Greens

Barbecue potatoes

Corn n' Limas

Okra in some form (you're in charge, Brooks)

Hush Puppies (Malawry)

Lots of Desserts

Tea

Beer

I'll be looking for folks to bring the desserts again.  My sister-in-law has promised to bring a huge caramel cake and other desserts -- maybe a coconut cake.  Peaches will still be in season, so a cobbler would be good.

So, what are we missing?  Who's going to help??

Hi Dean:

I'll bring a couple of bottles to contribute to the great sounding cocktails I have read about :biggrin:..............there's a concept, bringing booze from Utah to North Carolina!! :rolleyes:

My flight gets in late Friday night. I'll be staying at the Brownstone. I will be available Saturday for any menial tasks that may need to be performed. Let me know if I can help and how.

I'm getting pretty excited about this shindig!!!

See you all soon.

Bill

Bill Benge

Moab, Utah

"I like eggs", Leon Spinks

There's no barbecue beans on that list.

Watermelon? Watermelon's always good.

Barbecued beans are not a North Carolina dish. Lima beans. Butter beans. Snap beans. Pole beans. Just not barbecued beans!

Watermelon's a good idea -- it'll still be in season.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Barbecued beans are not a North Carolina dish. Lima beans. Butter beans. Snap beans. Pole beans. Just not barbecued beans!

I just got three bushels of lady peas in the freezer. I suppose that I could sacrifice a few for the cause.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

I just got three bushels of lady peas in the freezer. I suppose that I could sacrifice a few for the cause.

Lady peas are awesome. There will be no shortage of veggies at this pig pickin'.

I recall Debbie Moose saying she'll bring the deviled eggs. Debbie actually wrote a deviled egg cookbook, so she's uniquely qualified to handle this task. Debbie, that's a lot of eggs!!!

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Last time, we had about 30 eGulleteers attend.  Who's coming this time around????

I'm launching my maiden post as a new eGulleteer to put my name (along with my hub) in the hat to attend this eatathon........ Since I'm so close by, I can easily bring side dishes/salads/desserts, perhaps a freezer of homemade ice cream.

Cheryl

Hub and I are now registered. As indicated above, I can bring any number of (edible) things....whatever you need. Ice cream freezer mentioned above is a White Mountain, standard size, manual crank variety. Alas, my ice cream contains no magical imported ingredients; what I use comes from the local Teeter and the City or Farmers Market.

CBHall

....mmmm peach icecream

no biscuts?

dont think we can bring anything, our "trunk space" is limited to a change of clothes

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

Biscuits won't be served at this pig pickin', unfortunately. But once you taste one of Malawry's hush puppies, you'll understand why no one would dare put biscuits out at the same time.

Cheryl, we might just have to let you go crazy with the homemade ice cream and let Brooks leave his industrial sized machine at home. I'll assign dishes to the local folks such as yourself as we get closer to the big day.

Anyone make pickles? We could use a variety of those.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

....mmmm peach icecream

no biscuts?

Oh, there will be biscuits. Varmint must have forgotten. :wink::biggrin:

The biscuits are for the meal on Saturday -- the "staff" meal, so to speak -- at the fried chicken throwdown. And I just might have to whip up a batch or 4 after all, Heather. :wink:

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Cheryl, we might just have to let you go crazy with the homemade ice cream and let Brooks leave his industrial sized machine at home.  I'll assign dishes to the local folks such as yourself as we get closer to the big day.

Me? Go crazy?....whatchoo talkin about? :wink: What with the crowd you're expecting, I don't think two ice cream makers would be excessive---especially if the weather is anything like it is now and that's entirely possible early in September. As I said, mine is a standard size.

CBHall