• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Varmint's Pig Pickin', Version 2 -- 9/4/05

Varmint

varn,

after reading all the posts im am curious if 100 lbs of bbq is going to be enough?

where is it coming from? bill niman, i am hoping.

The complexity of flavor is a token of durable appreciation. Each Time you taste it, each time it's a different story, but each time it's not so different." Paul Verlaine

varn,

after reading all the posts im am curious if 100 lbs of bbq is going to be enough?

where is it coming from? bill niman, i am hoping.

I get the pig directly from a Niman farmer. Cut out the middleman, you know! We'll get a good sized pig, plus I'll do a bunch of shoulders for Western style. On top of that will be a goat and chickens. The chicken comes from a local organic farmer.

All smoked over pecan, of course. Don't worry about quantity, as I've done this plenty of times for very large crowds.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

just let me know if you need some help

The complexity of flavor is a token of durable appreciation. Each Time you taste it, each time it's a different story, but each time it's not so different." Paul Verlaine

I wouldn't miss it for the world. Varm, can you arrange a turkey fryer again? If so, I would be glad to reprise my hush puppies. I'll also help with absolutely anything and everything, just like I did last time. The first Pig Pickin was the most fun I ever had in a weekend except for the weekend I got married. :wub:

Hi Malawry if you still need a turkey fryer please let me know. I just bought one last year and used it to deep fry a turkey for Thanksgiving. Believe me, it was some kinda good! It's made by MasterBuilt and is electric, so I was able to fry the turkey indoors. You can use it both in and outdoors. I had always wanted to deep fry a turkey, but was a bit chicken shit about doing it since there were always horror stories around the holidays that seemed to end with......... "and then the house was suddenly engulfed in flames." Anyway, this thing works like a charm, can also be used with liquids to steam corn, crabs, shrimp, whatever. I mean you'd have to be dumb as a sack of hammers to not be able to operate it.

I'd really like to attend the Pig Pickin' but I have a weeklong meeting out of town--Orange County, CA (any restaurant suggestions?) at that time.

Inside me there is a thin woman screaming to get out, but I can usually keep the Bitch quiet: with CHOCOLATE!!!

...and a British ex-pat has a screen-name like "weka" because??????? :shock:  :biggrin:

Weka - a diurnal bird from New Zealand...I am actually a dual citizen US and NZ

The British ex-pat is my husband, no screen name.

- Weka

"Things which matter most must never be at the mercy of things which matter least."

- Goethe

We now have someone coming from Utah!  Very, very cool.

And you now have Joe and Sharon coming from Virginia! This is our first post and our first foray into the world of eGullet!

Joe

of Joe and Sharon

Springfield, Virginia

Joe

of Joe and Sharon

Springfield, VA

• 2 weeks later...

Now that our 501 ( c )3 status has been approved by the IRS, won't you consider joining us in North Carolina for the pig pickin'??? Much of the ticket price is tax-deductible, and we want as many states represented as possible. Here's the sign-up information:

Please consider choosing one of the donation amounts above the minimum contribution – the Society relies on donations to carry out its mission.

Pig Pickin’ Basic Entry -- $30 per person ($12/meal + $18 donation)

Pig Pickin’ “BBQ Lover” Entry -- $50 per person ($12/meal + $38 donation)

Pig Pickin’ “Boss Hog” Entry -- $70 per person ($12/meal + $58 donation)

If you wish to make a larger donation, an in-kind donation or an offer to match donations, please contact me by PM or e-mail.

Payments are not refundable. This event will be held rain or shine.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Congrats on the formal induction into the non-profit fraternity!

I'll know whether I can come a bit later in the summer when client development/proper employment gets sorted out.

Sounds like a blast. If I do come, the beer I've brewed will be ready just about right on time for the event... any word on the donation-in-kind status for us homebrewers?

Edited by cdh (log)

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch

any word on the donation-in-kind status for us homebrewers?

We'll handle the permitting -- it's a simple one-shot deal for tax-exempt organizations. As far as the in-kind donation, you'll need to seek your own tax advice on this, but it's my understanding that unless you're in the business, you could only deduct the cost of your ingredients. But then, I'm no tax lawyer!

Even if people are generously donating goods to the pig pickin', we're still requiring everyone to purchase a ticket as specified above. That ensures we'll cover our costs and make some money to benefit the eG Society.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

So, now that we have the official t-shirt, I think it's time to get to work on a Pig Picking signature cocktail. Join us here in the cocktail forum for the discussion.

I thought it was the Dark and Stormy?

T

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

OK, so I'm paid up. It's official. I'll be there to take on "Dave, The Dark Lord of the Fryer" in a fry to the death. :raz:

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

Cool. Louisiana is now officially represented! We have people from the following states who have made their contributions:

North Carolina

Virginia

Maryland

Delaware

Illinois

Louisiana

Utah

California

Florida

West Virginia

We have commitments from the following states:

Pennsylvania

New York

Georgia

South Carolina

New Jersey.

That's 15 states. God, wouldn't it be cool to have half the states represented. Now that would be most excellent.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Cool.  Louisiana is now officially represented!  We have people from the following states who have made their contributions:

North Carolina

Virginia

Maryland

Delaware

Illinois

Louisiana

Utah

California

Florida

West Virginia

We have commitments from the following states:

Pennsylvania

New York

Georgia

South Carolina

New Jersey.

That's 15 states.  God, wouldn't it be cool to have half the states represented.  Now that would be most excellent.

no one from Canada? I might have to be the first( even though Im really from California)

Canada is working very hard to be there. Really. If my brother continues to improve the way he has this past two weeks, then Canada will be there. I just can't tell for sure yet.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

What is the timing on the actual day of?  I may be driving south on 95 that day and would like to make this part of my trip.

Bill, I'm going to say late afternoon -- something like 4 or 5 PM. When you're cooking a whole hog, timing is rarely exact. However, my intention is for the pig to be done early to mid afternoon. We let it sit for awhile before pulling and chopping.

Come early, come late, but just come!!!! We want more folks from eGullet to attend!

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Only 40 days until the big event. Many of you have said you're coming, but you haven't registered yet. Don't wait, as this could possibly sell out -- I just informed the locals about it.

The critical information can be found at this post.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Three questions, please. . .

Will it be mostly for adults? Are children encouraged or discouraged to attend with their parents? And what is the cut-off date for "signing up" or is it possible to show up last minute or close-to-it?

Thanks. . .

Karen

Three questions, please. . .

Will it be mostly for adults?

There will be children in attendance. I will have my 4 children there (they'r3 11, 10, 6 and 4). Others will bring their children. We won't have any child entertainment, but they get to come for free, so why not???

Are children encouraged or discouraged to attend with their parents?

Again, children will be welcome, but the extent of how enjoyable of an experience this will be for them is up to you. They can certainly hang out with the L'il Varmints.

And what is the cut-off date for "signing up" or is it possible to show up last minute or close-to-it?

There's no deadline, but if we get about 120 to sign up, I'll probably close it down. I'd be surprised if that happens in the next few weeks, however. It might on the week before the pig pickin'.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

I'm happy to announce that I'll be getting my pig again this year from Mr. Wade Cole, who raises pigs for Niman Ranch. This is what I wrote about Wade Cole two years ago:

I also want to bring up again the type of pork we were eating.  Much of this information comes from a March 12, 2003 article in the Raleigh News and Observer, written by Susan Houston.  Ms. Houston led me to the Niman Ranch pig farmer, from whom I purchased the pig.

A professor from North Carolina A&T in Greensboro wanted to help small farmers of North Carolina, particularly those who had lost their tobacco allotments.  Using money from the Golden Leaf settlement and inspired by an article in Ed Behr's "The Art of Eating", this professor, Chuck Talbott, contacted a Niman Ranch official and initiated a pilot program for farmers to raise Niman Ranch hogs.  In the 90s, NC pig farmers were receiving 10 cents a pound for their hogs.  This means that I would have had to pay $20 for the 200 pound pig used in the pig pickin'.  Niman Ranch, on the other hand, pays at least 40 cents a pound. Mr. Wade Cole lives in rural North Carolina and had been raising soybeans, corn and other produce after he stopped growing tobacco.  He previously raised hogs, but got out of that business when the market bottomed out.  He received 12 Niman Ranch sows and 2 boars.  He has plenty more, now.  These animals are free range, fed a Niman Ranch-prescribed diet, and are treated humanely (they get to keep their tails)! 

Up until last week, Wade Cole had never had the chance to eat one of these pigs.  His first chance came several days before I picked up our pig.  Ed Mitchell, the famed barbecue master of Wilson, North Carolina, had cooked up one of Mr. Cole's pigs.  Mr. Mitchell's reputation is national, having been featured in an episode of Tony Bourdain's Food Network show as well as a thread on this site: Click for the link. When finalizing the logistics of picking up the pig, Mr. Cole started getting a bit inquisitive regarding how I was going to cook it.  He asked when I was going to start it and when I expected it to be done.  There was then silence at his end of the line, followed, by a quiet, halting question: "Would you mind if I came to your pig pickin'."  Of course, I told him I'd be honored for him to come.

Well, he arrived with his lovely lady Margaret early enough sample a rib.  Then some unseasoned pork.  He nibbled on the tail.  He then sampled the chopped pork.  Then some crunchy skin ("pork brittle").  Finally, he tried some chopped pork with cracklins and skin mixed in, along with the sauce.  He walked away grinning ear to ear. 

About half an hour later, after my frantic chopping had slowed down, he came back to chat with me.  He said, "Dean, I've eaten a lot of pig in my life.  I had one of my pigs cooked by Ed Mitchell himself.  But I've never had any barbecue taste nearly as good as this, and I thank you for letting me come today."  The man's eyes were almost filled with tears, and mine are certainly that way just thinking about that moment.  There are a lot of great people in this world, and I am proud to have met and to have fed as decent a man as Mr. Wade Cole.

Wade told me he still hasn't had any better pig in his life. :cool: He's actually thinking of blowing off some of his annual family reunion to come up to Raleigh and sample a bit of barbecue!

Dean McCord

VarmintBites