• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Varmint's Pig Pickin', Version 2 -- 9/4/05

Varmint

This is the South, where bribery is just part of the process.

Remember that one of the beauties of this event being on a Sunday is that if you get here on Friday, well, you'll have a lot of time to play with food!!! What we learned last time around was that the actual pig pickin' was just a small part of the total fun we had. So, go ahead and get those tickets, book those rooms, and come on down to North Cackalacky!!!

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Dean, assuming that the lord is willing and the creek don't rise, etc, we plan to be there. As we are also around the corner, please let me know what I can do as we move closer to the date. Other than food, do you need to store anything before hand (says the owner of a large, rarely used ping-pong room, I mean, garage), do you need someone to run errands, help set up, etc. Just let us know.

Beth

We'll take all the help we can get, but right now, I'd love for folks to spread the word about the pig pickin'. The more people that purchase tickets early, the more I can plan and make different things.

Feel free to chime in with suggestions for any traditional Southern side dishes you'd like to see.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Feel free to chime in with suggestions for any traditional Southern side dishes you'd like to see.

I would like to see any and all things okra. I've never found a preparation method that I didn't love.

Okra and grits. I wonder if I'll have managed to leave by then. Or be sick. Or have another accident. Or... just be plain drunk and not care. :biggrin:

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

I'm hoping hjshorter will reprise her wonderful collards. (Besides which, I'll need some pork fat for the hush puppies!) I'd love to see real biscuits too, but it may be hard to coordinate those with all the other things going in and out of the oven and whatnot--and while biscuits are classic Southern, they aren't necessarily classic pig-picking.

What have you decided to do about alcohol?    If alcohol is sold or dispensed as part of the price of admission, you will need an ABC license.  Homebrews create other issues but can be managed.

As a benefit for a not-for-profit entity, we can get one-day permit that'll cost about 10 bucks. We just haven't worked out the details.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

I'm hoping hjshorter will reprise her wonderful collards. (Besides which, I'll need some pork fat for the hush puppies!) I'd love to see real biscuits too, but it may be hard to coordinate those with all the other things going in and out of the oven and whatnot--and while biscuits are classic Southern, they aren't necessarily classic pig-picking.

Let's make biscuits for the staff meal. Hush puppies are where it's at for the pickin'.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

It certainly is true that biscuits go with fried chicken.

I'm assuming here that the fried chicken standoff will be a sort of staff meal. Right? (Though, Dave, I'd be happy to help with shrimp n grits again...) I'm planning to bring my own jug of oil for the puppies so the oil will be clean--I'd rather not reuse the chicken oil.

I would like to see any and all things okra. I've never found a preparation method that I didn't love.

I fully intend on an okra onslaught. With the exception of my friend Sidhartha Mitter, I fully intend to become the "go to guy" for all things okra.

Just call me "Brooksie Okra Seed"

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

It certainly is true that biscuits go with fried chicken.

I'm assuming here that the fried chicken standoff will be a sort of staff meal. Right? (Though, Dave, I'd be happy to help with shrimp n grits again...) I'm planning to bring my own jug of oil for the puppies so the oil will be clean--I'd rather not reuse the chicken oil.

As far as the staff meal goes, I am certainly happy to feed everyone. Dave will have some leftovers that we can perhaps sell to unknowing passersby.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

Sure thing, as long as I can get Scott to clean them. :biggrin:

And I would happy to make biscuits. Mine are very good.

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

And I would happy to make biscuits.  Mine are very good.

Good thing. Mine suck. :biggrin:

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Hmmm, as good as mine?????? :raz: I'd volunteer for a second smackdown to go with the fried chicken, but I'll just focus on the pig, thank you very much.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

O.k., we're both registered. Now this is going to be my husband's first pig-pickin', so we're both really looking forward to it..... We'll be getting to town the Friday prior - my folks live in North Raleigh - so if there's anything we can help with - say in the dessert arena we'll be happy to help out....

Live and learn. Die and get food. That's the Southern way.

Whoo hoo. California is in the house (although you're not the only one coming from your great state!). So far, we have the following states represented:

North Carolina

Georgia

Maryland

West Virginia

Illinois

California

Louisiana

New Jersey

New York

Pennsylvania

and Ontario, Canada, for the provinces.

Let's see if we can't get 20 states represented this year!

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Hmmm, as good as mine?????? :raz: I'd volunteer for a second smackdown to go with the fried chicken, but I'll just focus on the pig, thank you very much.

Good idea. I wouldn't want to send you cryin to your momma. :raz:

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

Good idea. I wouldn't want to send you cryin to your momma. :raz:

Heh, you come down here and show me what you got, Sistah. You ain't got nuttin'. And if you do, well, cool.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

You ain't got nuttin'.  And if you do, well, cool.

I see Dr. Mrs. Varmint has worn Varm down over the years. :laugh:

I'd offer to make biscuits, but I already know mine are only ok--and they don't hold a candle to Varmint's, so it seems silly to try. I'd rather watch somebody else whose biscuits are superior and try to larn me sumpin'.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd offer to make biscuits, but I already know mine are only ok--and they don't hold a candle to Varmint's, so it seems silly to try. I'd rather watch somebody else whose biscuits are superior and try to larn me sumpin'.

A little birdie shouts from the mountaintops about your hush puppies, so methinks everyone in attendance would be happiest if you made them.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

Working on some recruits from Virginia - really surprised that state is not represented yet. As soon as I get the headcount straight, I'll sign the lot of us up, or at least the first wave. You can add a British ex-pat to the party list too, albeit one currently hanging his hat in Cary, NC.

I'd be up for another bread pudding contribution this year as well. No telling what else I might be able to help out with closer to the date, but I need to get a handle on my third year vet school schedule first.

Can't wait! Friends, Fun, and FOOD...oh and a drink or two on the side as well :-)

Cheers -

Weka

Whoo hoo.  California is in the house (although you're not the only one coming from your great state!).  So far, we have the following states represented:

North Carolina

Georgia

Maryland

West Virginia

Illinois

California

Louisiana

New Jersey

New York

Pennsylvania

and Ontario, Canada, for the provinces.

Let's see if we can't get 20 states represented this year!

"Things which matter most must never be at the mercy of things which matter least."

- Goethe