• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Varmint's Pig Pickin', Version 2 -- 9/4/05

Varmint

I'll be there. I'll be happy to help Katie with drinks, or make appetizers or salads -- whatever I can do to help. When do we start planning the details of the menu?

Much of the menu will be handled by me. We'll have both styles of North Carolina barbecue, roasted goat, smoked chicken, smoked sausage (any volunteers want to make special, pig pickin' sausage?), Brunswick Stew, Collard greens, butter beans, hush puppies, and lots of desserts. We'll certainly add other dishes, and we'll need help with the desserts. Regardless, this should be quite a party!

Now, who's bringing the bourbon? I'll provide the Blenheim's Ginger Ale for the best possible bourbon and ginger you'd ever want!

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Despite the fact that I can ill-afford a cross-country trip at this point in time ... dayum. You folks are tempting the living blazes out of me. :wub:

Maybe I can rationalize it by making a side-trip to Greensboro to visit my sister and nephews. Haven't seen them in a good couple of years ...

Oh, c'mon, round trip tickets are $245 right now for that cross country trip!!!! That's as cheap as you'll ever find. Of course, add in the hotel and other expenses, and, well, OK, it ain't cheap!

We hope you can make it!

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Dave Scantland has assured me that he'll be making his "Most Excellent Kick-Ass Brunswick Stew" (aka, V-D Stew for Varmint-Dave). Two years ago I gave Dave the task of coming up with a special version of Brunswick Stew that would put to shame all the versions currently found across the State of North Carolina. Here's a thread that chronicles the development process.

The only problem last go-around was that the Stew wasn't finished until after the official party had ended. However, those hardcore eGulleteers who stuck by that night had an awesome snack.

Dave indicated he'll have this prepared well in advance for serving at the Pig Pickin'. Now I'm truly looking forward to this!!!!!

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Much of the menu will be handled by me.  We'll have both styles of North Carolina barbecue, roasted goat, smoked chicken, smoked sausage (any volunteers want to make special, pig pickin' sausage?), Brunswick Stew, Collard greens, butter beans, hush puppies, and lots of desserts.  We'll certainly add other dishes, and we'll need help with the desserts.  Regardless, this should be quite a party!

Now, who's bringing the bourbon?  I'll provide the Blenheim's Ginger Ale for the best possible bourbon and ginger you'd ever want!

I'll be taking over your kitchen on Thursday and Friday and will crank out a steady stream of desserts. I'm in for beer. You want bourbon? What kind?

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Thanks, Heather. We will gladly accept those sorts of "in-kind" donations. Please keep all your receipts for such donations, as we hope that those will be tax deductible. As most of you know, the eGullet Society's 501©(3) federal tax exempt status is awaiting approval from the US Internal Revenue Service (IRS). Upon approval of our 501©(3) status we will notify our donors and provide tax receipts, which will apply retroactively.

We'll have more specific guidance about these types of donations, but right now, just keep your receipts!

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

We'll be flying in on Friday so we won't be able to bring too much with us, but we're quite willing to help out with the labor and, if pointed in the right direction, we'll also be happy to pick-up any needed or desired items to contribute.

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

Since this event is now semi-commercial in nature, how would that affect us homebrewers who were thinking of bringing beer to the shindig? Charging for tix generally crosses the line from friendly party into a regulated space, at least up here on the other side of the Mason Dixon line.

Would I have to become licensed by the state of NC and pay excise tax to donate homemade beer to the cause? Will you need to acquire a site license to dispense any booze that is brought?

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch

Of course, the actual ticketed event is on Sunday. Should you arrive early, say, Friday night, that'd leave you with plenty of time to give homebrew gifts to your culinary compadres.

I do want you to know that I won't be giving out legal advice here for the most part. If the eG Society requires state licenses, we'll take care of that. But if you have specific questions that are legal in nature, feel free to PM me. I may not answer your question, but I'll try and point you in a direction where you can find that answer (hopefully).

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Last time, we had about 30 eGulleteers attend.  Who's coming this time around????

I'm launching my maiden post as a new eGulleteer to put my name (along with my hub) in the hat to attend this eatathon. After reading so many posts about this event and sleuthing around some, I've discovered that we're practically neighbors....I live about three blocks from you (am on Canterbury). I've passed by your tennis court a gazillion times... had no idea it was the site of such an auspicious culinary event(s). Since I'm so close by, I can easily bring side dishes/salads/desserts, perhaps a freezer of homemade ice cream.

Cheryl

CBHall

What a great first post -- from a very close neighbor, at that!!!

We certainly hope you'll join in the festivities. And be careful with your offers of assistance, as I'm quite good at accepting them and piling greater responsibility on your shoulders!

Looking forward to meeting you -- hopefully, well before the big event.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

. . .  we'll also be happy to pick-up any needed or desired items to contribute.

=R=

Brooks will need handkerchiefs.

Actually, you might want to stock up on a few of these kits. There will be some blood spilled after that contest, and it won't be mine that I am cleaning up.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

And by the way, Mayhaw Man has already begun his campaign to influence (i.e., kissing ass) one of the judges. There's no evidence of bribery, which is really what must occur.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

And don't I recall something about a praline cookoff?

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

I just met a local farmer who raises organic chickens, rabbits, ducks and beef. Actually, they're not certified organic, but there's no pesticides, hormones, etc. The beef is pasture fed. I'm going to pick up some of his stuff in the next couple of weeks, but let me say this: I'm pretty pumped about all this good stuff that will be going into Dave the Cook's Brunswick Stew (aka "Varmint-Dave Stew" or by its worse name of "VD Stew").

Be sure to pick up your tickets to the pig picking by clicking on the any of the links below.

Pig Pickin’ Basic Entry -- $30 per person ($12/meal + $18 donation)

Pig Pickin’ “BBQ Lover” Entry -- $50 per person ($12/meal + $38 donation)

Pig Pickin’ “Boss Hog” Entry -- $70 per person ($12/meal + $58 donation)

If you wish to make a larger donation, an in-kind donation or an offer to match donations, please contact me by PM or e-mail.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

I just completed my room reservations and my payment. My wife, Janis, and I will be there sometime on Saturday and will leave sometime on Monday - but Sunday sounds great! I (we) will be glad to help in any way possible.