• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Varmint's Pig Pickin', Version 2 -- 9/4/05

Varmint

Remember, this is a fundraiser for the eGullet Society, so here's the ticket information:

Please consider choosing one of the donation amounts above the minimum contribution – the Society relies on donations to carry out its mission.

Pig Pickin’ Basic Entry -- $30 per person ($12/meal + $18 donation)

Pig Pickin’ “BBQ Lover” Entry -- $50 per person ($12/meal + $38 donation)

Pig Pickin’ “Boss Hog” Entry -- $70 per person ($12/meal + $58 donation)

If you wish to make a larger donation, an in-kind donation or an offer to match donations, please contact me by PM or e-mail.

Payments are not refundable. This event will be held rain or shine.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Yes, Heather, I am expecting to have the same level of fellowship as last go-around. The only main difference between the last time and now is the element of fundraising. We also will be trying to get local chefs involved, and having this on a Sunday increases the chances that it might happen.

As far as hotels are concerned, we have almost finalized getting a hotel at a group rate. We were concerned that this might be a problem, as the NC State Wolfpack will be playing Virginia Tech in football in Raleigh that Sunday night. However, our crackerjack reservation staff (i.e., Jaymes!) appears to have come through again. Once we get it finalized, we'll post the details.

With all that in mind, we'd love for folks to come as early as Friday and stick around until Monday. This is all about fun, and we certainly had plenty of it last time!

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Thanks Dean. We'll be arriving Friday after dropping the kids off with my mother for the weekend. I can't think of a better way to spend our anniversary than with 100 pounds of barbecue. :laugh:

Edit to say I just bought our tickets. :biggrin:

Edited by hjshorter (log)

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

I wouldn't miss it for the world. Varm, can you arrange a turkey fryer again? If so, I would be glad to reprise my hush puppies. I'll also help with absolutely anything and everything, just like I did last time. The first Pig Pickin was the most fun I ever had in a weekend except for the weekend I got married. :wub:

I wouldn't miss it for the world. Varm, can you arrange a turkey fryer again? If so, I would be glad to reprise my hush puppies. I'll also help with absolutely anything and everything, just like I did last time. The first Pig Pickin was the most fun I ever had in a weekend except for the weekend I got married. :wub:

I'll second this. I'll happily peel potatoes again, play Bartendress for the Masses, or whatever is required to partake in the fun again.

And those hushpuppies... :wub::wub:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Of course, as we have discussed. the Lovely Mrs. Mayhaw and I will be there. For a good part of the week, actually.

Have you ever seen the Belushi/Sat. Night Live skit "The Thing that wouldn't Leave"?

Actually, I hope that you haven't.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

I'll second this.  I'll happily peel potatoes again, play Bartendress for the Masses, or whatever is required to partake in the fun again.

Katie, your job is to bring fixings for Dark and Stormys and some more of that magical limoncello. Pwetty pwease! :wub::wub:

Brooks and Dave are having a fried chicken cook-off, right? In addition to the fond memories and the twenty pounds of potatoes we peeled, and the pig --- well, I'm going to give it my best shot!

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

My plan right now is to fly in on Wed and pitch in where ever I'm needed. Assuming all is well here.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

I am frying chicken, yes. Later, Dave will be drinking heavily trying to drown the memory of being spanked in the chicken frying arena. And the next day, when we have the "cold chicken test" he will have to relive all of that embarrassment again. It's all going to be very rough on him, but I am sure that with your support he will pull through.

Varm, can you arrange a turkey fryer again? If so, I would be glad to reprise my hush puppies.

We'll most definitely get the turkey fryer again. We may need to get you some help making those exquisite hush puppies, as one person can't possibly make them fast enough when they're that good!

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

My plan right now is to fly in on Wed and pitch in where ever I'm needed.  Assuming all is well here.

Ah, hell, fly in the week before. I'll cancel my vacation with the L'il Varmints and just have a week-long party with y'all.

Mmmm. :hmmm: Maybe not, as I don't want to upset Mrs. Varmint too much!

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

I am frying chicken, yes. Later, Dave will be drinking heavily trying to drown the memory of being spanked in the chicken frying arena. And the next day, when we have the "cold chicken test" he will have to relive all of that embarrassment again.  It's all going to be very rough on him, but I am sure that with your support  he will pull through.

I don't know. After watching him make the V-D stew the last time I have great respect for Dave's skills. That said, I am looking forward to the competition. Do you need judges? :biggrin:

Edited by hjshorter (log)

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

since it took me a bit to find the original I thought it best to link for the other newbies....

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showto...hl=pig%20pickin

My husband has relatives in Jamesville NC that he was talking about just last month...so when I yelled upstairs that there was an EG event only 110 miles from them this fall I think I actually got a yeah sure. I do assume my penance will be riding the motorcycle there from NJ but if I survive the trip next month to Knoxville on it no problem :blink:

a cook and a musician can we come :wub:

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

I am frying chicken, yes. Later, Dave will be drinking heavily trying to drown the memory of being spanked in the chicken frying arena. And the next day, when we have the "cold chicken test" he will have to relive all of that embarrassment again.  It's all going to be very rough on him, but I am sure that with your support  he will pull through.

I don't know. After watching him make the V-D stew the last time I have great respect for Dave's skills. That said, I am looking forward to the compettition. Do you need judges? :biggrin:

Yes, I am sure that when it comes to VD, Dave has a distinct advantage. :wink:

With chicken though? Well, the truth will be in the frying.

Varm, can you arrange a turkey fryer again? If so, I would be glad to reprise my hush puppies.

We'll most definitely get the turkey fryer again. We may need to get you some help making those exquisite hush puppies, as one person can't possibly make them fast enough when they're that good!

Varm,

I have two turkey fryers I can bring.

Tom

North Raleigh

We've all but finalized the group lodging, thanks to the great efforts of our member, Jaymes. We'll post all the details on Tuesday, once we get all the contracts signed. However, right now we have 20 rooms set aside at $72 a night and one or two one-room suites for $92 a night (plus tax for each). These are at the Brownstone Inn, the same place as last time.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Varm,

I have two turkey fryers I can bring.

Tom

North Raleigh

We might take you up on that, Tom, but we also might want you to bring a bunch of your heirloom tomatoes!!!!

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

I know y'all have been sweating over the wait, but here's our lodging information:

We are holding group space at the Brownstone Hotel Raleigh, for the nights of September 2nd-5th, $72 per room per night for standard accommodations, and a limited number of 1-bedroom suites for $92. Rates are exclusive of 13% tax. In order to get these rates, you must stay a minimum of two nights. The reservations will be available for booking beginning today. Because we have a limited number of spaces and there are a lot of other events in town that weekend, please PM me for booking information, including the top-secret booking codes.

All reservations will be made by individual call-in and each individual will be responsible for all charges. You must give a credit card number to guarantee your booking, and if your plans change, all reservations MUST BE CANCELLED DIRECTLY WITH THE HOTEL BY 4PM DATE OF ARRIVAL TO AVOID A CHARGE. We are holding a limited amount of group space and due to other events going on in the area, we expect the hotel to sell out well ahead of the Pig Pickin' date. You should reserve early to be guaranteed a room. In addition, we must utilize a certain percentage of our group space in order to guarantee this rate. Please be certain that your name and reservation are included under our group name (which I will provide you via PM) so that you are credited. The cutoff date is AUGUST 16TH, whereupon we must release any unsold space and after that date, NO RESERVATIONS WILL BE GUARANTEED AT THE SPECIAL GROUP RATE.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites