• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Varmint's Pig Pickin', Version 2 -- 9/4/05

Varmint

Great article Debbie. Makes me proud to be a part of our cyber-community.

I too, am now jonesing for deviled eggs! Jason, posting that photo was just plain mean. :angry:

And it seems I can't escape my birthright as "Limoncello Queen". :laugh:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Thanks for the article, Debbie. I can't believe you led with my question--but I seem to recall you busting out laughing when I asked it.

(Doesn't everybody need to know if there's a fine-fine-mesh chinois available when they go to a Labor Day party? :wink:)

I was not around a computer for most of yesterday, but I'm impressed Fat Guy was actually perusing the North Carolina newspapers.

Nevertheless, this is another fine piece by Ms. Moose, and this essay is just one of several she's done in her "Sunday Dinner" series. It's a treat to have such a gifted writer close by, and when she can make deviled eggs, too -- Wow!

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

HAPPY BIRTHDAY DEAN :biggrin:

easy to remember, today is also my daughter's birthday

we will send ya a piece...chocolate cherry cake cream cheese icing

edit to add yummy MOM cake

gallery_23695_426_10079.jpg

Edited by rooftop1000 (log)

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

Dean, HAVE A HAPPY VARMINT BIRTHDAY! May your days be filled with BBQ, your nights with Dark & Stormys.

I'm glad I didn't screw up on the column. I was not lurking in a sinister manner, by the way. I didn't really decide whether to write something or not until afterward. The event fit so much with the other things that were happening. And I loved being able to get the word varmint into a column. :biggrin:

So far, of 3 responses I've received from Gentle Readers, 2 just wanted the limoncello recipe. At least they're reading.

And the parties I usually have, the most common questions are 1: Where's the bottle opener/corkscrew? and 2: Do you have a fire extinguisher? I think your dining table's on fire.

In return, for those desperate souls, here is the blue cheese deviled egg recipe:

Blue Devils (as a UNC fan, it killed me to use this title)

6 hard-cooked eggs, peeled, cut in half, yolks mashed in a bowl

2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons mayonnaise

1 teaspoon Dijon mustard

2 tablespoons crumbled blue cheese (the packaged crumbles are OK)

Salt and black pepper to taste (I like a lot of black pepper in this one)

About 2 tablespoons real bacon bits

Combine the yolks with the mayonnaise and mustard. Add the blue cheese and mash well into the mixture with a spoon. Taste, then season with salt and pepper. Fill the whites and garnish each half with the bacon bits. Makes 12. From "Deviled Eggs: 50 Recipes from Simple to Sassy" by Debbie Moose